Here we go again...

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Here we go again...

Post by denimini »

I always use the preview button and then only see my typos after pressing the submit button :) same as when I proof read a document and detect the errors reading it upside down as it comes out of the printer. A strange phenomen.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Anthony wrote: same as when I proof read a document and detect the errors reading it upside down as it comes out of the printer. A strange phenomen.
That is a cow of a thing, but no worries mate, it just a little waffle and you can flip it easily--its only when its gone to billyo that Dave's worried!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Yea, over the years I have lost alot of good posts. Not necessarily due to time outs. Spotty cell phone reception, will have disastrous results to posts. Make sure you have a good signal before submitting that post.

Very true, on typos, they always seem to show up after you, hit submit, or print.
Quite the phenomenon.

Happy posting and remember "Save early, save often."
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Another way to prevent a problem when posting, use notepad at compile the post in a text file, then when you're ready to actually post it, copy and paste, and submit...

Sometimes the low-tech approach seems to work best in situations like this...
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I save mine as a draft, then I know I can come back to it any time and can spend the time and effort to edit and clean up typos, punctuation, grammar, etc. I married an English teacher so you know I didn't have a chance.

I still post some idiot errors, typos, etc. The ones that bother me are when my computer decides it knows more than I do and changes the word or the spelling to mean something else. Some are funny though. I see things like that in the news and different places on the Internet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

HnS, that's why the facility is called "auto-corrupt".
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The auto correct feature is always turned off on my computer. I do use spell correct but in manual only. As for the grammar I never use the auto correct feature.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
timstannard

Post by timstannard »

Sinned wrote:
> Don't ya love Microsh*t? I am changing machines because the old one
> probably needs a new fan and battery and, like me is getting on. Foolishly
> I use MS Orifice and I upgraded the new machine to Orifice 2016. Now
> versions prior to this saved your email data in one file format ( .asp I
> think ) and previously I would just copy this file to the new version. It
> now appears that Orifice 2016 uses a different file format ( .ast maybe )
> which means that I may not be able to just copy the old file across. Of
> course I may be wrong and need to do a bit more research on this [0]. Oh
> and the path where the new file lives appears to have changed so I'll have
> to find that out also. Has anyone got a really BIG red hot poker that I
> can shove up someone's rear orifice? In many respects I'm glad that I'm
> out of all this and I sympathise with Carl in single-handedly digging in
> this sh*t to pull the upgrades out. Carl, I really do admire you.
>
> [0] Why should I need to do this research? Upgrades should be seamless and
> easy. Nothing has changed then since I was earning my coins of silver in
> this area.

Have you tried libre office, it is intended for linux, but it will install on windows and is backwards compatable, opens many document formats.
Oh and its free.
You can always uninstall if you dont like it.
I threw all my windows stuff out a while ago.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

tim, I have heard of it and will try it. Unfortunately I am busy at work at the moment so when I get some free time I will have a go.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Sinned wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:07 pm tim, I have heard of it and will try it. Unfortunately I am busy at work at the moment so when I get some free time I will have a go.
I definitely rate LibreOffice. I was using OpenOffice, which is also free, but recently switched and don't see myself changing back.

Email systems are always a pain. I'm currently using Thunderbird. I am happy with general use and the filtering mail etc., but it's rather limited on it backup. I manually back up the mail that's in AppData/roaming/.../mail/local folders. It's not ideal but at least I have backup. There are some export addons but I have been less than impressed with these.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, I am a also a fan of open source software, using LibreOffice on my laptop and OpenOffice on my Desktop and Thunderbird and Firefox on all. I use the delay send plugin on Thunderbird - set to 15 minutes which I have been thankful for on a number of occasions :)
I do backup my mail folders when I do a regular back-up, having seperately included those AppData folders as an additional target.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I am using this since I was using Incredimail and they stopped backing it. And when my old computer went belly up needed a new Email client. I received this and have been using it since..
We miss you!
Flower smiley
Do you miss IncrediMail and its features?

We would like to recommend a great replacement: eM Client!

You can download the Free version of eM Client, or buy eM Client Pro with a whopping 30% discount - exclusively for former IncrediMail users!

Free download
Apply the discount
It‘s been months since IncrediMail shut down, but we just can‘t stop thinking about our fabulous users, and we tried to make the transition to another email solution as easy as possible.

That‘s why we decided to search the market in order to find the best possible alternative to IncrediMail - flexible, customizable, fast, with countless features. We found eM Client.

eM Client integrates email, calendars, tasks, contacts, notes, and even chat. Your IncrediMail data will now be automatically migrated into eM Client on the first run.

We hope you enjoy eM Client as much as you enjoyed IncrediMail!

Yours sincerely
IncrediMail Team

Perion | Bear Creek Parkway, Suite 320  | Redmond | U.S. | 15809
It will also migrate from most other Email clients as well..

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.