Links

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Links

Post by denimini »

I have noticed that links that did open in a new tab do not anymore (The links using Insert URL). Is that a change here or my firefox browser update? My settings haven't changed.
I habitually close the link and now find that I have closed off SC.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Links

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:48 amI have noticed that links that did open in a new tab do not anymore (The links using Insert URL). Is that a change here or my firefox browser update? My settings haven't changed.
This is likely down to the way that some folks post links. If one simply types the link in without the BBcode "link=" syntax then the behaviour is up to the viewer's browser; if the "link=" syntax is used, the forum will command the browser to open up another tab/window.

If I notice something in blue that looks like a link with the "http://" syntax to it I'll usually automatically right-click on it (I'm a Firefox user as well) and open it in a new tab.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Thanks, I will get used to right clicking, as not everyone used the insert url function anyway.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Merde. "Houston, we've had a problem."

... and it's not in your television set.

We have had a change of behaviour in links here, and it's going to take me some time to chase it to ground. In the meantime, use whatever browser-idiom you use to open links in a new tab.

This is going to take awhile as I'm not going to have any spare time for the next few days. (Mostly work, but also life...)
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Despite spending decades in IT, I can still learn something new from my son. He hates me using menus, especially the right-click menu. Explaining that I remembered a time when there were no menus didn't win me any kudos.

Anyway, seeing me bring up the right menu to select "Open link in new tab", he asked why I didn't simply click the scroll wheel down over the link to open it up in a new tab.... I tried it, it works!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It works! I didn't know that either.
Thanks, that will help while Carl has time to devise a fix from things laying around his spacecraft.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

From my experience with Firefox, there used to be a "plug-in" called "Tabs Mix Plus".
The last 2 Firefox updates disabled this plug-in. There is not a replacement for it - yet.
My Firefox "Remembered" my choice for opening links in a new tab. I can't get that
back on the laptop/s. So sad :(

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

It is said that there are only two "tools" that are really necessary, with those being "WD-40" and "duct tape". The general idea being that if it's not moving and should be, apply WD-40; if it is moving and it not supposed to be, apply duct tape.

Well I found some WD-40 under the floorboards deep in the hold where nobody ever goes and applied it to the BBcode template for the URL construct and things should now open in a new tab by themselves again. Thank heavens I kept that last backup... Pack-rat...