WINDOWS &*%$#@ "10"

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

WINDOWS &*%$#@ "10"

Post by r.m.anderson »

Windows 10 - - -

One month from now Windows "7" will lose support functions from MS.
Random "?" how much effect is this going to have to do with SkirtCafe ?
Any adverse effects anticipated ?

I don't know what method I am going to take to upgrade - software upgrade ?
Or buy a new Windows 10 computer (desktop) using the present 27" monitor ?

I have old desktop computer with the "XP" OS but nothing is done online -
just a storage machine for photos; drafts for word documents and XP games.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: WINDOWS &*%$#@ "10"

Post by Fred in Skirts »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:56 pm Windows 10 - - -

One month from now Windows "7" will lose support functions from MS.
Random "?" how much effect is this going to have to do with SkirtCafe ?
Any adverse effects anticipated ?
As far as the cafe is concerned not anything you would notice. I use windows 10 on my laptop and win 2000 on my old desktop and the cafe works great on both. As for other internet sites win 10 is now almost necessary.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:56 pmOne month from now Windows "7" will lose support functions from MS. Random "?" how much effect is this going to have to do with SkirtCafe ? Any adverse effects anticipated ?
The Skirt Cafe site will not be affected by this event in any way because there's no M$ component involved in it. What may be affected will the the user experience on systems still running Windwoes 7 when M$'s hammer falls.

I cannot imagine that Windwoes 7 installations will magically stop working at the appointed moment as that'd likely attract the attention of several governments, but what will happen is that patches that close the never-ending laundry-list of junior-high-school bugs will stop being issued and that will put computers that are exposed -- directly or indirectly -- to the Internet at risk. Worse is that no documentation of what "holes" are found will likely be made public.

Skirt Cafe should be a benign environment for any computer as there is no external advertising (an intensely hostile vector for malware and viruses), and as with every other link to places unknown or unknowable, caution is always advised when selecting said links.

When dealing with an entity like MicroSoft it's best to remember the age-old adage of, "He who sups with the Devil should use a very long spoon." I cannot count the number of times I had to de-virus my late ex's computer from malware she'd pickled up from CNN's advertising "partners". It was almost a full-time job until I black-holed the worst of the actors using the local DNS.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

I use LinuxMint 19 and all works fine :mrgreen:
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I have been using Windows 10 for years, not a problem.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I know the feeling. I have avoided going from 7 pro to 10 - just the time it will take to de-louse it.
I think I would be tempted with Linux if I could get Autocad working on it.

My desktop will be up to the change and a new SSD is probably due - they have come down in price; I can buy a 500Gb one for what I paid for my original 128GB, which is pretty full now including the over-provisioning.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I have an old laptop that came with Windoze (Windows) Vista. That operating system was so slow I installed Ubuntu Linux and made it a dual boot machine. About 1.5 years ago I got a Windoze 10 PC, and the first thing I did was to load Ubuntu Linux on it. I very seldomly boot up under Windoze unless I have a specific application I have to run.

I have had enough with Macroslop's Windoze and deal with it as little as possible. One thing you could do is create a Windoze virtual machine on your Linux box to run apps requiring Windoze.

John
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

I am not pro-Microshaft, I am not a fan of the regular forced updates, must admit that my iPad also has constant updates to apps and the occasional OS update so Apple can also be a pain. Even though my PC is now ten years old and will no doubt need shaving soon, after installing Windows 10 64 bit several things rapidly became apparent:
Boot up speed, the thing boots up far faster, I have got so used to Win 10 booting up in 1/4 to 1/3 of the time Win 7 used to take to start.
No more BSOD, can't remember the last time I had a system crash completely.
Took me a bit to get used to it, but I now like that I can shut the PC down without closing all the programmes I am running first (not the clever bit). Then when I start up again the next evening, browsers, programmes like Outlook, not everything but many of the things that I left running all spring back to life ready for me to carry on(the clever bit). This is different from hibernation, which is also an option. If you don't like this feature you can turn it off.
In general, I find it far faster to start, far more reliable and generally a big improvement.

But:

Switching to a 64 bit OS has had a downside for me, some hardware I like to play with just isn't supported by 64 bit Windows. to use my NetMD minidisc recorder/players on Win 10 64 bit has been challenging. There is a workaround to allow none approved drivers which work, but OS upgrades may stop it working till I remember or look up how to fudge it again. Also in the last year I bought a job lot of old back up tape drives to play with, unfortunately the changes of cables inside PCs, the changes from ISA slots and PCI slots to strange modern things, the lack of 32 bit drivers, all have conspired to stop me playing with most of the drives I got. On a more basic PC with a few more options for plugging things in, I had more luck. The decidedly old tech linear tape drives I have totally failed to get going, tried using XP, even tried Linux, no luck. I think Linux has a driver for linear tape drives but I could not find a programme which would use a drive, format a tape, read or write a backup. Annoying, not because I want to use a tape to do backups, but I just want the drive to do the drive thing and wiggle the tapes about a bit!
Any Linux wizards out there who could guide me to getting a Linux box running with an old tape drive (Floppy disc cable interface) and networking to a windows 10 PC, so that I can happily amuse myself?
Or will I have to amuse myself learning the ukulele, to go with my mandolin lack of expertise, and slight competence on a collection of guitars over the Christmas break?

That was a long ramble! sober as well!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:16 pm[... ]n the last year I bought a job lot of old back up tape drives to play with, unfortunately the changes of cables inside PCs, the changes from ISA slots and PCI slots to strange modern things, the lack of 32 bit drivers, all have conspired to stop me playing with most of the drives I got. On a more basic PC with a few more options for plugging things in, I had more luck. The decidedly old tech linear tape drives I have totally failed to get going, tried using XP, even tried Linux, no luck. I think Linux has a driver for linear tape drives but I could not find a programme which would use a drive, format a tape, read or write a backup. Annoying, not because I want to use a tape to do backups, but I just want the drive to do the drive thing and wiggle the tapes about a bit!
LInux has a baffling number of "st" (SCSI Tape) drivers available, although you may need to sift backwards through kernel versions to find support for:
an old tape drive (Floppy disc cable interface)
which is likely to be daunting because that sort of interface has been functionally obsolete for well over a decade, and likely closer to two.

Networking to Windwoes 10 will likely be the easy part of the challenge using some reasonably modern version of Samba compiled on the same machine that as the tape-drives attached. Or a version of NFS for Windwoes.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Hmmm, I think I had linux Mint setup on an HDD for an old pc, unfortunately probably the one I blew the PSU up in. It is something that will help pass the time over the Christmas break, trying to work inside a pc is always livened up by my three young and inquisitive and very helpful cats! If I can get the thing to work with the tape drive I will then try to get it to speak to Windows, I am not hopeful, even Windows machines have regular problems seeing each other across the same LAN. I knew there was something I hated with Windows, networking can be a nightmare, although maybe they have tweaked something because it is a while since I had a problem, or is that because I just gave up? Hmmm again!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:27 pmHmmm, I think I had linux Mint setup on an HDD for an old pc, unfortunately probably the one I blew the PSU up in.
Power supplies can still be had on-line for fairly reasonable sums, so that's your first route.

However, be aware that media-conversion and retrieval of data resident upon obsolete media can be damnably complex. I have several boxes of 5 1/4 inch floppies with a 110 kB density that I need to recover, and it's probable that the EPROMs in the machine that wrote them have since decayed into nothingness. And I have a desire to read these things because they have interesting bits of my history on them. If the original machine is entirely senile now, I can still reverse-engineer file-systems. (Hell, on that machine I had to write a floppy-formatter using nothing more than a disassembly of the PROMs and the spec-sheet for the floppy controller. Guess what program was the first to get written to floppy!)

Cherish the kitties! I still very much miss my fourteen-pounder whom my late ex- got killed in 2015. :cry:

I have never been sad when working in the presence of cats. Frustrated sometimes, but never sad.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

As windows mobile isn't supported any more I had to replace my Microsoft Lumia and got an android one phone. I have had it not for 2 weeks, and it. It laks the logic, you can't see your different e-mail accounts each for it self. The contacts won't synchronize.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

crfriend wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:50 pm
Big and Bashful wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:27 pmHmmm, I think I had linux Mint setup on an HDD for an old pc, unfortunately probably the one I blew the PSU up in.
Power supplies can still be had on-line for fairly reasonable sums, so that's your first route.

However, be aware that media-conversion and retrieval of data resident upon obsolete media can be damnably complex. I have several boxes of 5 1/4 inch floppies with a 110 kB density that I need to recover, and it's probable that the EPROMs in the machine that wrote them have since decayed into nothingness. And I have a desire to read these things because they have interesting bits of my history on them. If the original machine is entirely senile now, I can still reverse-engineer file-systems. (Hell, on that machine I had to write a floppy-formatter using nothing more than a disassembly of the PROMs and the spec-sheet for the floppy controller. Guess what program was the first to get written to floppy!)

Cherish the kitties! I still very much miss my fourteen-pounder whom my late ex- got killed in 2015. :cry:

I have never been sad when working in the presence of cats. Frustrated sometimes, but never sad.
Reverse engineering filing systems, a rare skill! I am very impressed! As for the cats, yes, they can be a bit frustrating at times, but I love having them around, they are my family, they don't argue (much) and are a constant source of amusement. Sad to see the bit about your last one being killed, I know the feeling, I have had two cats run over and killed, had to put one to sleep as she couldn't cope when her brother took ill and died, and more recently, had one that got run over, got pumped full of methadone and anti-inflammatories for over a week, hatched three kittens that must have been in her when she was run over, then finally topped it off by getting run over again when the kittens were only 4 weeks old and not weaned. I still have one of that litter, great little thing, but small, probably related to the exposure to drugs when newly conceived. You should get another, well I would never have a solo cat, get two, they keep each other amused and it is wonderful watching them together, best having them from the same litter though, forcing adult cats to get to know each other leads to them being stressed apparently.

Back on topic for a bit: I have found something very annoying on this here pc, don't know if it is a Windows fault or just one of those things, but this year I fitted a replacement DVD/Blu-ray writer to it as the old one was often failing to write DVDs and could not speak Blu-ray. The new drive is supposed to be able to write to just about anything. Anyway, I have never had a problem when writing DVDs or data, same goes with writing Blu-ray disks. A friend wanted me to save a recording from an old VHS he had, a recording of a concert his group played many years ago. The tape was in very poor condition so he sent it to a company to rescue what they could.
They did.
He then asked me to write the audio to a CD and make copies for the other bandmates. I must have thrown a dozen spoiled blank CDs away trying to get audio CDs written. I tried NERO, I tried getting Windows to do it, every attempt failed as it attempted to write the lead-out. Writing data discs, not a problem. Audio discs, it will not do it. Latest drivers installed for the writer, it won't do it. I don't know if Windows 10 has broken something that used to work, but summat ain't right! Still, as long as I can rip to iTunes, that is what I need for myself.