Styles

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
crfriend
Master Barista

Styles

Post by crfriend »

Mumble, mumble, curse...

I find that I detest the new "prosilver" style rather deeply, mainly because I don't like wasting screen real-estate which the new default style does in spades if you live visually in "landscape mode" the way I do. All of my computer monitors are set up that way, and 90+% of my photography is done in that mode (save for portraiture, proving that I can -- and do -- function that way). So having big fat white margins simply offends my sensibilities.

"Smart 'phone" users can stop reading right here, right now.

Offended, thusly, I set out to "fix the problem" (i.e. "scratch an itch") and came up with a "wide" version of the default interface theme which gets rid of all of the wasted space. Anybody that wants to have a go at it can try it as I've made it publicly available as a style option in the User Control Panel.

Sadly, it looks like "subsilver2" is not going to make a triumphal return, being too heavily-bound to the phpBB 3.0 family (which we just left because we had to). So, off we (reluctantly) go into the Wild Blue Yonder.

Foo.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Styles

Post by moonshadow »

Well this is different....

I too prefer the wide version as far as this website goes (old habits die hard I suppose), though I admit on my former websites I've forced screen width to fit an 800 pixel monitor (throwback to the early 00's) using the simple table tag.

Then again, on my old websites they were more of a "read only" site rather than an interactive one such as this, so I can understand where you're coming from here.
crfriend wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:29 pm "Smart 'phone" users can stop reading right here, right now.
On the advantage side, I have to say the site is much more mobile friendly now. Prior to the upgrade, loading the cafe on a mobile devise generated a page that more or less was a "desktop version" forced into a little screen. Over the years I have gotten used to it, but I have to admit, as a frequent visitor from the land of smart phones, I'm eager to see how this new upgrade effects the overall ease of use of this website.

All around I find this upgrade to be a positive one, it will just take some getting used to. Though I've always somewhat preferred dark websites, now that's dark as in color scheme, not dark as in foul. It's easier for me to read dark screens. Eye floaters tend to get in the way more with brighter ones...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

But that avatar man... that won't abide.... :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:18 pm I've always somewhat preferred dark websites, now that's dark as in color scheme, not dark as in foul. It's easier for me to read dark screens. Eye floaters tend to get in the way more with brighter ones...
I'll see what I can dredge up. I just need time to decompress a bit.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:22 pm
moonshadow wrote:
I've always somewhat preferred dark websites, now that's dark as in color scheme, not dark as in foul. It's easier for me to read dark screens. Eye floaters tend to get in the way more with brighter ones...
I'll see what I can dredge up. I just need time to decompress a bit.
Neato.... the quote function now hyperlinks to the post quoted.

Adding the user ID also links to the members profile.
-Andrea
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Carl I commend you greatly for your hardwork however I'm not a fan of the new layout. It looks too stretched out if I can be honest. It's like watching a movie and everything is good then you stretch out the picture really big and well ruin it. I mean well btw. I know that an update was bound to happen eventually but I'm going to have to really take some time to adjust. Just please don't be like Facebook and change it constantly when you finally find a good one you're happy with. As they say if duck tape doesn't fix it leave it alone.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JennC03 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:01 pm Carl I commend you greatly for your hardwork however I'm not a fan of the new layout. It looks too stretched out if I can be honest. It's like watching a movie and everything is good then you stretch out the picture really big and well ruin it.
The default setting of "prosilver" is narrower, so you may want to use that one. The "prosilver-wide" is the one I created for myself because I like wide-format workspaces. "Different strokes..."
Just please don't be like Facebook and change it constantly when you finally find a good one you're happy with.
How often do I fiddle with user-facing changes here? I'd posit, "Not often."; however, this one was forced, and I apologise for any inconvenience, hassle, or re-familiarisation time.
As they say if duck tape doesn't fix it leave it alone.
It is said that there are two fundamental tools: WD-40 and duct-tape. If it's moving and it shouldn't, apply duct-tape. If it's not moving and it should be, apply WD-40.

(I have a slightly larger tool-box.)
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

I like those Carl lol they're cute. No worries my friend I'm sure I'll be adjusting to the new changes in no time.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I must admit that the wide margins are a bit of a pain but if you can't get rid of them then they don't iterate me too much. I found your new avatar amusing but I did like the old one.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I am not a fan of this style of forum. :( I liked the way I was able to change the way it looked to me before. I do hope you can bring back some of the old style looks. This is not hard to look at BUT it makes looking at it different than what I liked before. I liked the side panel where the avatar ( it was bigger too) and other information was placed about the poster. I also liked the button for reading all unread posts on the main index page. Please bring that back!!!!!

It will take some getting used to for sure.

SO THANK YOU for getting it back on line :cheers: :cheers:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Well done Carl ,Thank you for your efforts ...
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

Click the "Quick links" at the top left, you will find Your Posts, New Posts, Unread Posts, etc there
Ken
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:21 pm But that avatar man... that won't abide.... :wink:
Ya got a problem with my new avatar? What of it?

(Yes, I filched that rather unabashedly from elsewhere because it quite well sums up my current opinion on matters, public and private.)

I'll probably go back to my pentode valve or some other random computer-related bit at some point. But, there is something to be said for the notion of, "Do one brave thing today" -- even if it means that you must "then run like Hell"! (And, yes, I know all about polar opposites. It's a cute picture!)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:11 am
moonshadow wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:21 pm But that avatar man... that won't abide.... :wink:
Ya got a problem with my new avatar? What of it?

(Yes, I filched that rather unabashedly from elsewhere because it quite well sums up my current opinion on matters, public and private.)

I'll probably go back to my pentode valve or some other random computer-related bit at some point. But, there is something to be said for the notion of, "Do one brave thing today" -- even if it means that you must "then run like Hell"! (And, yes, I know all about polar opposites. It's a cute picture!)
Consider it stolen from you too.... :lol: :lol:
brave thing.gif
If at all possible I liked the larger avatars on the last version as well as the posters info on the right side of the page, could you bring that back????

Again thanks for the quick work!

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:18 amConsider it stolen from you too.... :lol: :lol: brave thing.gif
It's fun when life comes full-circle!
If at all possible I liked the larger avatars on the last version as well as the posters info on the right side of the page, could you bring that back????
As near as these old eyes can tell, the size of the avatars is what it's always been. It's likely the positioning of them that's causing some visual confusion.

Now, this is all likely solvable by fiddling with the CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) that define what the modern 3.2 version of phpBB uses. However, I will caution that there are 7,177 lines of CSS in the "prosilver" style to dig through, interpret, and modify to one's taste. (My "wide" version has 7,175 lines total because I deleted two of the most obnoxious ones -- after 3/4 of an hour figuring out what I was looking at.)

Your call.
Again thanks for the quick work!
You're most welcome.