Clocks

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
crfriend
Master Barista

Clocks

Post by crfriend »

For those of you in the USA -- or at least those of you in the USA who (1) care and (2) live in places that recognise the abomination [0] -- Daylight "Saving" Time began today (2016-03-13), so visit the "User Control Panel" and set "Summer Time" to "Yes" in the "Board Preferences" section.

And remember to set it back again come Autumn.

[0] Do NOT get me going on this topic. I can rant for days about it. If they want me to get up an hour earlier to go to work, I'll do so. Why they have to dick with the clocks is beyond me.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Clocks

Post by dillon »

Count on me to stir the fire. I guess it matters whether you're a "morning person" or a "night person". Being the latter, myself, I apreciate DST because as far as I am concerned, any sunlight before 7:30 am is wasted. I look at DST as comfort parity for the two types of people.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Aren't night-owls supposed to like darkness?

In any event, as Seymour Cray once famously remarked, "Parity is for farmers."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I've always preferred daylight time to standard time, except when I was little. Back then, bedtime was 8 pm, and I'd usually be looking out my window at blue sky and sun hitting the trees in the summer. At least, it was better than the winter, when nighttime came at 4:15-4:30 pm in the afternoon.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I reckon that changing your clock and kidding yourself for the better part of the year is way better than having to get up an hour earlier. With daylight saving time, you only have to think about it two days a year.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend wrote:Aren't night-owls supposed to like darkness?

In any event, as Seymour Cray once famously remarked, "Parity is for farmers."
I think it has more to do with when your brain works better, and when you have more energy, and for me, that isn't early mornings. Luckily I report first to a laptop in a home office, and am usually not on the road before 8:30 am. In the spring, I may not be home until seven or later, so it's nice to have a bit of daylight at home. When I was in the Rift Valley, in the tropics, the sun rose at six and set at six. Sunrise always brought on my "monkey alarm clock", when the numerous Grivet monkeys scampered back and forth across the tin roof of the housing I was given, waking me with regularity. The one day when I needed to report early was the day the apes were apparently on strike, and I was late as a result.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...