Smart 'Phone styles

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Smart 'Phone styles

Post by Kilted_John »

pelmut wrote:You may be surprised/pleased to know that most parts of this forum are readable on iCab 2.9.9 on Mac OS 8.6 (albeit slowly). It would be nice for me if you could keep this backwards-compatibility, just in case my ageing MacBook gives up and I have to keep in touch using the even-older office desktop Mac G3.
This might be of interest to you...

http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

It's essentially a Mac OS 8/9 combination of the Mozilla Suite and Firefox.

Anyway, the only thing I use my iPhone for, with respect to this forum, is as a personal hotspot. Phone company shut down our phone line on Thursday. Been getting online using my phone being the modem for my Mac Pro. Supposedly, either later today or sometime tomorrow, the line will be reinstated. Billing screwup.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:and one of the things I will NOT do is "Windows-8" the forum
I thank you as well. While I'm not sure what exactly that entails, I like the forum just the way it is. I'm running it on a seven year old compaq computer with Windows Vista. Yeah yeah, I know Vista is the laughing stock of computer guru's, almost as bad as Windows ME, but I've had this machine for three quarters of a decade, and it just keeps chugging along. Although it is starting to show some signs of age. You probably look at the server logs once in a while and see that solitary lonely "VISTA" OS user located somewhere on a northeast Tennessee IP address..... yeah... that's me... :lol:

Still if Windows 8 is the best thing out right now.... I'll stick with what I have. Besides, honestly I don't have an issue with my computer, or Vista. It's always has worked fine for me.

BTW, I browse this forum from my smart phone often, a two year old Samsung Galaxy, no special bells or whistles on the php. Just looks like a "little" version of the desktop site. Never had a problem with it, aside from my phone's ignorant "auto-correct".

Still can't figure out why it tries to auto correct a NUMBER! What on Earth is the phone's reasoning for auto-correcting a number? I send a company email, stating an issue I'm having at say..... store 860. If I don't watch, my phone will correct this to "8650-55600-110014"..... what? How the hell did it come up with that? And don't get me started on phone numbers.... my smart phone auto corrects my phone number to 5488_88081-8859652.

Good luck decoding THAT!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

I have no problem accessing this forum using Firefox on Ubuntu and Android. In fact, I find that phpBB forums render well and are easy to navigate around on mobile devices, as long as you have a standards-compliant browser (such as Firefox or Chrome/Chromium). And I don't think Windows 8 (or any version of Windows) is the best operating system out there. GNU/Linux distributions such as Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora are, in my opinion, are the best operating systems out there as they are free and open source software, which means they are free as in freedom (and cost too). For a more detailed explanation on why GNU/Linux distributions are the best operating systems, see Why Linux is Better.
らき☆
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

A friend of mine is now running Win-10.
He hasn't had any problems and says that some things
are easier to work with than the blasted Win-8/8.1

I'm still running Win-7 and don't plan on upgrading
anytime soon. Also use FireFox for my browser. Still
using Office 2007 and don't want to upgrade that either.
I know, it's 'old stuff' but I can get through it easily
and know the limitations of the programs.

That's my $.02 worth :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

It's certainly true that about 99% of any Windows upgrade is just moving things around so you can't find them anymore.

And the whole idea of desktop PCs and smartphones having the same UI is ludicrous.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
piniu

Post by piniu »

Please install Tapatalk plugin (https://tapatalk.com/download_phpbb.php) for forum. I solved all the problems of mobile;)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

As a skirt wearing LUDDITE, I like things to stay the same. :D And change only if it is really necessary. To prove the point I am running Windows 2000 on my desk top computer and it is now about 14 years old and starting to slow down. On my lap top I have Win 10 and do not like it at all. It came with Win 7 and I did not like it either. :twisted: If I had my druthers I would still be running DOS! :lol:

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Franinskirts wrote: :twisted: If I had my druthers I would still be running DOS! :lol:

Hi Fred,
I started with DOS-3, added Win-3.1. Then upgraded to DOS-4 and Win-3.11.
I progressed to Win-95, XP and now running Win-7 PRO, which I love.
Several people I know have either a love or hate relationship with Win-10.
I did find out that after the 'free upgrade' time period, if you have any
'special files from Microsoft' offering the upgrade still on your machine,
they will AUTOMATICALLY upgrade you to Win-10.

Google Search 'How to remove Win-10 Upgrade kernels/software' for
the instructions to get rid of the 'auto-upgrade'. I'm not joking here,
being April 1st/April Fools Day, this info comes from a computer guru,
geek, programmer, trouble-shooter at T.I. (Texas Instruments).
He's also a friend whom I've worked with building pipe-organs and our
digital theatre organ.

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Franinskirts wrote:As a skirt wearing LUDDITE, I like things to stay the same. And change only if it is really necessary. To prove the point I am running Windows 2000 on my desk top computer and it is now about 14 years old and starting to slow down. On my lap top I have Win 10 and do not like it at all. It came with Win 7 and I did not like it either. If I had my druthers I would still be running DOS!
I wouldn't go back to DOS, but I'm not too enthusiastic about recent upgrades to Windows either.

My issue is that 98% of any upgrade seems to be moving the same stuff around so you can't find it anymore.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Caultron wrote:I wouldn't go back to DOS, but I'm not too enthusiastic about recent upgrades to Windows either. My issue is that 98% of any upgrade seems to be moving the same stuff around so you can't find it anymore.

Or getting rid of it completely so your programs no-longer work!! :twisted:

"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Uncle Al wrote:
Franinskirts wrote: :twisted: If I had my druthers I would still be running DOS! :lol:

Hi Fred,
I started with DOS-3, added Win-3.1. Then upgraded to DOS-4 and Win-3.11.
I progressed to Win-95, XP and now running Win-7 PRO, which I love.
Several people I know have either a love or hate relationship with Win-10.
I did find out that after the 'free upgrade' time period, if you have any
'special files from Microsoft' offering the upgrade still on your machine,
they will AUTOMATICALLY upgrade you to Win-10.

Google Search 'How to remove Win-10 Upgrade kernels/software' for
the instructions to get rid of the 'auto-upgrade'. I'm not joking here,
being April 1st/April Fools Day, this info comes from a computer guru,
geek, programmer, trouble-shooter at T.I. (Texas Instruments).
He's also a friend whom I've worked with building pipe-organs and our
digital theatre organ.

Uncle Al
I found a windows7 update on both my work and home computers this week who's sole purpose was to install the update to Win10 reminder on your computer. Luckily, I had gotten into the habit of checking what updates are up to (I have my computers set to manual update) and caught and hid both of them. A couple of months ago MS hid this as part of an IE11 update. Sorry MS, I just don't like the tile interface. I have to use it when I'm working with one of our servers and it makes me crazy there.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco