Here we go again...

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
crfriend
Master Barista

Here we go again...

Post by crfriend »

The good lads at phBB have updated the code that drives The Skirt Café from 3.0.12 to 3.0.13 to address some security concerns. This means that I'll be performing another upgrade shortly, although the formal date has yet to be determined and largely centers around when I'll have time to make it happen.

Also in the works will be a slight "facelift" to our "landing page", mainly having to do with some reorganization bits that have been bothering me over the past several weeks. This will entirely likely happen alongside the software update, so be on the lookout for it.

At the moment, the Skirt Café staff are in the midst of assorted disagreements on what the "finished product" of the reorganization is going to look like (mind you, very civilized disagreements) but we should have that all hammered out in the coming days. It won't be huge, so there's no need to get one's knickers in a knot about it,
but it will represent the first change to the "landing page" in years. You have been warned.

I will post here formally when I know the precise timeline in accordance with past practice.

In the meantime, skirt on!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Here we go again...

Post by crfriend »

There's still no concrete agreement on the notion of a mild tweak to the forum layout, but the 3.0.13 version of phpBB has recently rolled one more time to 3.0.13-PL1 so it looks like it's time to "rock and roll" as these are primarily security patches. I've prototyped the change in my sandbox here at home (and I must admit that's it's very weird seeing "new" posts from members whom have sadly passed from our ranks) and nothing looks insurmountable, but there are other bits I need to check before I "call the ball" and execute on the production system.

At this point in time, the community may expect a short outage as I install the upgrade, possibly this coming weekend (2015-02-14 or -15). A warning shot will be fired shortly before and immediately after the change goes in.

Long term, the next major roll of phpBB -- to 3.1 -- has been released, but problems with it are being sorted at the moment, so we're going to hold on that one. Likely upgrading to that is going to cause problems for folks who use non-English locale settings and "styles" other than the "Prosilver" one (this includes yours truly).

Consider this "advance warning".
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

There will be a brief outage this evening at 2015-02-16 00:00 UTC (19:00 EST) as I upgrade the board's software to the latest version. The change has been prototyped and tested here in my lab, a procedure generated for the change, and the time has come.

I do not expect the outage to last more than a minute or two. You have been warned.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Two minute warning.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Game over. The update has been applied.

If anybody sees anything unusual the contact information is at the top of the page.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Seems to be working fine on my tablet. :)
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Working fine for me too on my iMac :)
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I blinked - did I miss something ?
Since I missed the two minute warning - can I get an instant replay ?
Well nothing can go wrong - nothing can go wrong - nothing can go wrong - nothing times nothing = nothing !
Whatever it seems to be the same !
Nice job cr - no feathers ruffled - nothing dropped - no micron pieces to pick up and reassemble - no electrons lost in the centrifuge.

Now you can take the doctors orders - drink two of these and call me in the morning ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:There will be a brief outage this evening at 2015-02-16 00:00 UTC (19:00 EST) as I upgrade the board's software to the latest version. The change has been prototyped and tested here in my lab, a procedure generated for the change, and the time has come...
Idle question: Since you're keeping the board software up to date, and so new versions are apparently coming out, is any sort of component available specifically for using the board on a smart phone? Like, an alternate HTML format or even an app?

Just asking...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:Since you're keeping the board software up to date, and so new versions are apparently coming out, is any sort of component available specifically for using the board on a smart phone? Like, an alternate HTML format or even an app?
Since most of the board's appearance is driven by style-sheets I'd be surprised if there wasn't one tailored to "smart" 'phones. I'll poke around and see if I can find something. However, I'll need others to test it because being a 19th-Century type I don't have a "smart" 'phone. (If it can't be run on steam, it probably doesn't need doing.)

In fact, take a look at this one. Something designed specifically for WAP applications....
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I didn't feel a thing! Well done Carl.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:Since most of the board's appearance is driven by style-sheets I'd be surprised if there wasn't one tailored to "smart" 'phones. I'll poke around and see if I can find something. However, I'll need others to test it because being a 19th-Century type I don't have a "smart" 'phone. (If it can't be run on steam, it probably doesn't need doing.)

In fact, take a look at this one. Something designed specifically for WAP applications....
No problem, I was just wondering if there was something off the shelf.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:No problem, I was just wondering if there was something off the shelf.
The one in the link is a live demo of a (prototyped) forum skinned out for a 'phone-sized screen. Seriously -- if you're interested, give it a go. I see it in a tight vertical format, but have no way to test it on a 'phone. If it works, I can install it here once I understand a bit more about it.
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

i never used it myself as i don't really bother with forums or even facebook on my smartphone as i prefer to wail till i get home on the pc with it's nice big 22" monitor :D but i often see posts made on smartphones and the favoured app appears to be Tapatalk which is available for Android, IOS and windows phone, .... look for it on your app store, or check it out here >> https://tapatalk.com/
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Never had to deal with it myself on ether end (another person sans "smart" phone), but I've seen reference to tapatalk being, shall we say, less than pleasant to deal with on the administrative side.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"