Are things getting slower here ?

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Are things getting slower here ?

Post by skirtingtoday »

I am not meaning the post rate, just the accessibility of the site in general. Whenever I try and log on, the "wee twirly icon" seems to spin for ages, before it loads up a page (if it does!). Same thing when I change to another section, the time it takes is quite astonishing. Other web sites seem to be as quick as normal - just this one seems slow.

Sometimes it even comes back with an "Unable to load that page - do you want to load a cached copy?" message. (Like, yeah! What use is that?)

Has there been some change in Windows that slows things down or is this site being updated or something?
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Milfmog

Re: Are things getting slower here ?

Post by Milfmog »

Hi Ross,

I have also seen the slowdown on the site but not on other web activities so it does appear to be related to this forum. However, I am not aware of any recent changes that have been made here (Carl tends to let us know before anything significant changes), so my suspicion is drawn to the servers hosting the site rather than the site itself.

Doubtless Carl will be along soon to either confirm my suspicions or tell me I'm an idiot (he would not be the first to do that :D )

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Same here, but I'm having to log on nearly ever time, never use to be like that and it is only this forum, and my computer is on 24/7.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I can make a couple of observations here:

1) The site is, indeed, bog slow. It was running extremely sluggishly this morning at around 06:00 EST which I attributed to a runaway IP blacklist -- which I flushed out -- and things seem to be better now.
2) Milfmog is not an idiot.
3) Performance issues seem to come in waves, mostly due, probably, to growth at the hosting provider.

I tweaked what I could to make things faster (at the potential expense of some spam in the moderation queue), but beyond that it's outside my control.

Let's give it a few days and we shall see what happens.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

There was me thinking the carrier pigeons bringing the Interweb across the Atlantic were getting tired, at least it isn't just me. Oh and yes, I am getting tired of having to log-on on a regular basis, I reckons the server needs therapy, or a kick!

Still, Carl is a good dude who I am sure will triumph and vanquish whatever evil swells in the bowels of the cafe!

Night! (I must be tired today, still wearing the trousers I had on for work.)
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:There was me thinking the carrier pigeons bringing the Interweb across the Atlantic were getting tired, at least it isn't just me. Oh and yes, I am getting tired of having to log-on on a regular basis, I reckons the server needs therapy, or a kick!
Of note regarding the loss of current login is that the auto-login and session-management components are sensitive to your IP (Internet Protocol) address. If you have a consumer-grade connection, that address may change from time to time (mine changes a few times per week usually, and in bad times, a few times per day (I have idiots for an ISP; that or a cr@p router)), and that will necessitate logging in again. Without that sort of state it'd be impossible to tell who was who, who was saying what, and who is allowed where.
Still, Carl is a good dude who I am sure will triumph and vanquish whatever evil swells in the bowels of the cafe!
You're too kind. Thanks.

However, methinks it's nothing more than a bad case of gas. (I'll see if I can harness that for fuel for keeping the espresso-machine hot.)
Night! (I must be tired today, still wearing the trousers I had on for work.)
Make sure you scrape the radioactivity out of them. The narsty emitters get much closer to the crown jewels when wearing trousers than they do with skirts. :lol:
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I am usually browsing this forum from my Kindle Fire, and noticed that things do tend to get slow-loading at times, and progressively so. I found that clearing the cache and then reconnecting to my wireless router usually restores adequate operating speed, though it has not completely restored the normal speed. I also have a problem with the site/device losing my login. From my desktop computer I rarely have any problems.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I'm using a Samsung tablet to access skirt cafe, have noticed in the last week or two that it was very slow. Usually restart the tablet and then its ok. The only time I logged on was when I first joined skirt cafe.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

It's wierd, it's only recently that the damn thing has been logging me out in between sessions, and not always. By the way, my router is normally left connected permanently apart from when I am away for days. My compewter is tied to the router via some electric string, because this new fangled wi-fi stuff isn't fast enough and is more trouble prone, although I have to admit with Win 7 my loptap normally connects without wires or problems.
It's the march of technology, people keep taking something which works and improving it until it doesn't. So that they can then bring out a different coloured thing which does what old things did, until they didn't.

It makes perfect sense to me! I fink!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
JoeBro

Post by JoeBro »

I have an ASUS. I also have a high speed Internet. I haven't had any issues.
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

The slowdown for me has been a change of service provider. I have moved from Boston and Residential Communications Network's High Speed Fiber Optic, to Plymouth with Verizon's much slower Fios system. At least here, everyone is used to the old guy in the skirt. Only positive comments, when any occur.
Cheers,
Steve
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

SteveB wrote:The slowdown for me has been a change of service provider. I have moved from Boston and Residential Communications Network's High Speed Fiber Optic, to Plymouth with Verizon's much slower Fios system.
Well, that's certainly a factor, but I also made a change a few days ago in an attempt to better our crud-blocking ratio which could have had a deleterious effect on performance but which does not seem to have.
At least here, everyone [in Plymouth is] used to the old guy in the skirt. Only positive comments, when any occur.
That's excellent news.

Since you're new to the town, you're can't the guy who I used to work with a number of years ago who shares your first name and last initial. That makes two "Steve B"s in Plymouth, but likely only one who wears skirts.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I wonder if this has something to do with having TOO MANY WINDOWS 8 open - - -
You know the program with the touch screen - you toucha the screen and nothing happens.
That is right the program was designed to work with a touch screen - my screen no like touchiness.
I gotta use windex after each foul attempt to push the program to its limits (which isn't far) !

Seriously I needed that - kicking the windows 8 can down the road #@$&%* Microsoft idiots !

I am using W7home and when things slow down like what is mentioned above I just simply
restart and dump all the accumulated clutter down the electronic rabbit hole and then things
seem to work better.
Computers can't live with-em and can't live without-em !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

R.M.A wrote:I wonder if this has something to do with having TOO MANY WINDOWS 8 open - - -
I am using W7home and when things slow down like what is mentioned above I just simply
restart and dump all the accumulated clutter down the electronic rabbit hole and then things
seem to work better.
Makes me glad I ditched that sort of windows back when MS (there's an alternate expansion of that...) was trying to push vista. Now the only windows on my computer are program frames... and images of openings usually covered with panes of glass. :) Uptimes can easily reach two months to boot. ;)
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"