Comparisons in the pics & looks area

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.

Should we have comparison threads in the Pics and looks area?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:31 am

Yes
56%
No
No votes
Really don't care one way or the other
44%

Total votes: 18

Milfmog

Comparisons in the pics & looks area

Post by Milfmog »

There has been some discussion in the Pics and looks area (see this thread) about whether members should be allowed to post their pictures in a thread started by another member.

Comparisons can be interesting and useful, so would members like to create a new item in the rules of engagement for that area of the board to allow that? I suggest, to avoid confusion, that the title of the thread should indicate that it is a comparison thread and the subject under discussion; for example "COMPARISON: your shortest skirt", "COMPARISON: tartan non-kilted skirts" or "COMPARISON: skirting in town".

I have set up a poll to allow members to express a view without having to write a post, though I would welcome other peoples views. The poll will run for thirty days.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Comparisons in the pics & looks area

Post by owen »

Sounds like a good idea, Milfmog. Could even have (not very serious) competitions to see who does the look best, with a poll on top of the thread.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

The poll has now ended, after attracting a grand total of 18 votes (from which I deduce that most folks don't care one way or the other).

I'll leave it to our (thoroughly excellent) management team to decide whether to amend the rules of engagement for the pics and looks area of the forum but, based on the response, I suspect it will not be top of the issues list.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
crfriend
Master Barista

Proposal Approved

Post by crfriend »

A while ago, "Member Extraordinaire" Milfmog proposed a "Comparisons" component in the "Pics and Looks" forum. The overwhelming response to the poll indicates either desire for such a facility or no preference one way or the other; no responses were had in the outright negative.

I am in the process of trying to do some cleanup and general "tidying" in the background, gave the proposal some thought, and decided to amend the forum's "Rules of Engagement" thusly:
7) Threads may be created for the express purpose of comparing and contrasting looks and styles; if this is the intent of the original poster, please state so by using the keyword "Comparison" in thread title. Examples of this might include, "What's the longest skirt you own?" or "How does your kilt fasten?".
To crib a closing line, "Have fun"
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I'd approve if it was with the permission of the starting member. We DO have some members that aren't fervently in love with other members and don't want any arguments started in their threads. The freestylers may not want "manly only" pics in their threads and vice versa. I believe freestyler type fashions compare better with other freestylers and same same with the manly skirt wearers. Opinions?
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Since1982 wrote:I'd approve if it was with the permission of the starting member.
Please recall my request that threads that are desired to be "comparison threads" call the fact out in the thread title, e.g. "COMPARISON: How does your kilt fasten?".
Since1982 wrote:The freestylers may not want "manly only" pics in their threads and vice versa.
It depends on the context of an individual thread, and I would hope that the participants can remain dignified throughout. I suspect it may be a truism that extreme-freestyle imagery juxtaposed with kilt iamgery would not make much contextual sense, but I can see instances where it could happen, for instance, "COMAPRISON: How frilly do you like your skirts?". This hypothetical case could generate such a juxtaposition and perhaps not look too strange.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

crfriend wrote:"COMAPRISON: How frilly do you like your skirts?"
You've just created a whole new concept in my head: the lace-trimmed kilt.

Enjoy, folks...
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

crfriend wrote:...I suspect it may be a truism that extreme-freestyle imagery juxtaposed with kilt iamgery would not make much contextual sense, but I can see instances where it could happen, for instance, "COMAPRISON: How frilly do you like your skirts?". This hypothetical case could generate such a juxtaposition and perhaps not look too strange.
I don't know about frilly skirts as such, but back in the time when kilts were all the rage among the English toffs and wannabees (mid-late 19th century), it was fashionable for men to wear silk, lace, ruffles, and such, and it's still fashionable among (male) Scottish Country dancers. I think that that was because, until very recently, silk, etc., were too expensive for most people and so were seen mainly as evidence of wealth, rather than of femininity. (Sort of like Rolls Royces or large homes with live-in servants today.)

So there's no contradiction between Scottish-style kilts and at least some "freestyle" elements.