Thank you Carl!

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Thank you Carl!

Post by Bob »

I want to give an especially warm Thank You to Carl for his recent moderator efforts. He was able to stop a major act of vandalism WHILE it was happening --- and then get the board back up and running ONLY 20 minutes later. This is a level of professional service that goes far beyond anything one might expect from a volunteer-run board like SkirtCafe.

I would like to point out that all this happened while I was blissfully (or unblissfully) away at work, thinking of things other than men's fashion. By the time I came home, I found out that the vandalism had come and gone. Really, if Carl had not emailed me a note describing what happened, I wouldn't have been any the wiser for it.

I know a few things here:

1. Keeping this level up up-time in the face of server crashes, security intrusions and outright vandalism is an important part of keeping SkirtCafe a viable on-line community.
2. There is no way I could have done it myself.
3. This is by no means the first time Carl has stepped in and mopped up a major mess that threatened to cause us serious downtime. He has done it MANY times.

So.... here's my round of applause for Carl, along with a big mug of craft-brew beer on the house!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Thank you Carl!

Post by Since1982 »

I admire Carl for the same things, as he does them for Skirts4Men too. What a treasure we both have as a friend and helper. :pint: :hooray: :pint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Three cheers for Carl!
Hip-Hip Hooray!
...Hip-Hip Hooray!
......Hip-Hip Hooray!

Kris
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:toast: :kiltdance: :hooray: :toast:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Bob wrote:So.... here's my round of applause for Carl, along with a big mug of craft-brew beer on the house!
Just joining in the general thanks, back slapping and applause...

...and reminding you that should you and Diana ever find yourselves in Blighty be certain to let me know so that I can buy you a pint (or a maybe few) of the good stuff here in the real world.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Well done Carl.
There really are some sad and sick loners/losers out there who would try to sabotage other folks' good work for the community.
I am glad you were able to prevent this sicko obtaining any warped satisfaction.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
BBB

Post by BBB »

Thank you Carl

I have no time for wreckers and hackers they should grow up, get a life and learn to live and let live
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gentlemen, please stop. You're making me blush. :oops:

Seriously, when I "signed up" to help Bob with admin duties, I signed up to put the full force of my expertise on the line for the community. I strive to do the very best I can, and that's just the way I approach things I "sign up" to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Has stuff slipped through the cracks? Yes. I need to sleep, too. Will stuff slip through in the future? Probably; nobody can keep 24x7 focus indefinitely and we all need to take a break to blow off steam. Will I continue to put as much thrust behind my work at SkirtCafe that I can manage? Absolutely.

It may or may not be coincidence, but I feel that I've "evolved" more since I started wearing skirts and joined this little community than I did in the prior 40-odd years -- and I view this as a "good thing". I am more confident now, and, interestingly, less judgemental; more understanding, and less likely to "go off" on a moment's notice. Is it skirts? I don't know, but it may be a component.

As far as my work behind the scenes of SkirtCafe goes (and it's in the behind the scenes millieu that I am most comfortable in) all I'm doing is "my job". Accolades are nice (and, yes, Ian, if Sapphire and I ever make it to the UK I'll try to take you up on that offer of a pint or two), but not why I do the job; I do the job because I believe it's the right thing to do.

Please do not read this as being dismissive of your recognition -- it is not. But, just like the random citizen who just "does what needs doing" to make his world a bit of a better place, that's all I'm doing.

Thank you all. I'm a bit humbled by all of this.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Gentlemen, please stop. You're making me blush.
If you want us to stop, you're gonna have to lock the thread! :wink:
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

HAH!

I have a spare key :mrgreen: , so it could be 'un-locked' :!: :lol:

Uncle Al

:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TomH »

Yes, it is nice to have talent and hard workers sharing the helm. We do appreciate all you do and makes me more comfortable in being here. Thanks Carl, Tom
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

crfriend wrote:...and, yes, Ian, if Sapphire and I ever make it to the UK I'll try to take you up on that offer of a pint or two.
I will not forget; so you'd better make sure that you don't either :D
crfriend wrote:Please do not read this as being dismissive of your recognition -- it is not. But, just like the random citizen who just "does what needs doing" to make his world a bit of a better place, that's all I'm doing.
And if a few more "random citizens" did as much, and as willingly, the world would be a better place.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Yoiks! I didn't even know what was happening when all that was going on. Carl just stuck his head in the computer and didn't talk. He does that often.

Ian, I am SOOOOO ready for another trip to the UK that I will not forget your offer. I got hooked on the cider while I was there and you can't get anything comparable over here.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

NOOOO Thread Locking Please :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Well I am amazed that stuff like hacking should happen to a site like this! Sure is sick. And it certainly impresses me that ones like you Carl, and Uncle Al beaver away, spending countless hours monitoring our posts (when I get a bit heated for instance!) and battle the arseholes who's hobby it is to disrupt other people's pleasure. So, yes indeed, let's hear it for those guys!! Jack.