The outage of 2009-07-01/2009-07-02

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The outage of 2009-07-01/2009-07-02

Post by JRMILLER »

Carl: thanks for your alertness -- I was on the Chesapeake Bay at the time and cut-off from the Internet cause I was too far away for my Verizon G3 card to function.

Skip: I installed Hughes and extensively tested it. Their download speeds are good, but their upload speeds are no faster than a telephone modem. They advertise it as being much faster, but their advertising is deceptive. I can't recommend them if you need to upload anything substantial.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JRMILLER wrote:I was on the Chesapeake Bay at the time and cut-off from the Internet cause I was too far away for my Verizon G3 card to function.
Now there's a good way to make a body jealous.
I installed Hughes and extensively tested it. Their download speeds are good, but their upload speeds are no faster than a telephone modem.
There's also the issue of latency in the connection. I do a lot of command-line work and the pain of waiting for each keystroke to reach orbit and come back (twice) is too painful to contemplate. It's not too bad if you're doing mostly downloads and don't care about the latency, but where one wants and expects interactivity satellite is out except in case of emergency or inaccessibility.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Thanks John, I hardly ever upload anything, I mostly do a lot of downloading. So it's perfect for me at about half the price of AT&T. :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Strange bed fellows!

I have Qwest for landline phone and DSL internet service.
I have DirecTV bundled with Qwest.
And I have Verizon basic Cell phone service.
I will never subscribe to Comcast again!
All Comcast does is continually raise rates and drop channels - never giving its
existing customers a break!

All work fine by themselves but combine any of them and 'twain shall never meet'!
I am not a bit worried about Dead or Drop Zones - I just do not ask my provider
to give me service 20,000 leagues out at sea or 20 feet under for that fact.
But one of these days I would expect that it will all come together and work
better than Dick Tracy's wrist/radio/tv watch.

Actually I do like a good crash to get back to the old way of doing things "Manually"
to restore lost unused skills and survive better than hollywood celebrities on a lost
deserted island.

Ah..... the silence of it all! Smell the napalm.

AND NO!
I DID NOT PULL THE PLUG THAT CAUSED YOUR OUTAGE!

rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !