Software update at SkirtCafe?

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Software update at SkirtCafe?

Post by AMM »

Was the web server software for SkirtCafe changed today? (May 24, 2008)

This morning when I tried to look at skirtcafe, I got a 404 for http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums .

Later, when it started working again, the "look" of the site was completely different. I recall that, long ago, when SkirtCafe switched to phpBB, you had the option of "silver" or something else, and I chose "silver" Now only "silver" is available. Also, only "british english" is available (not that I believe phpBB really knows the difference.)

Have to say, I liked my old settings better....
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Software update at SkirtCafe?

Post by crfriend »

AMM wrote:Was the web server software for SkirtCafe changed today? (May 24, 2008)
Yes, the phpBB group is going to be "retiring" phpBB version 2.0.x in the very near future; this pretty much forced an upgrade to phpBB 3.0.0.
Later, when it started working again, the "look" of the site was completely different. I recall that, long ago, when SkirtCafe switched to phpBB, you had the option of "silver" or something else, and I chose "silver" Now only "silver" is available.
The new "default" "skin" is "prosilver", but there is an alternate one called "silver2" that is very close to the older "subsilver" one. This should be close enough to feel familiar.
Also, only "british english" is available (not that I believe phpBB really knows the difference.)
That was the only locale available at install time. I'll look for other locales in the next day or two.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
British English is the original and best. We just spell certain words differently to confuse others from other nations. :mrgreen:
Greg
Donald

Post by Donald »

Carl and others, I leave for another trip to Centralia and look what happens to the forums upon my return! :lol:

Actually, I really like the default color scheme! Blue is my favorite color and I am glad there is a blue skin for me. Looks good, folks! And now phpBB is even more of a worthy alternative to vBulletin.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Gosh! This format is so much easier to read! Well done, all concerned! :D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

AMM wrote:[O]nly "british english" is available (not that I believe phpBB really knows the difference.)
Actually, phpBB does know the difference; the new version is fully internationalised. As a token olive branch, I've made US English, Dutch, German, and French available. Note that the internationalisation only applies to the controls internal to phpBB. All the contributed material is in English (of one ilk or another).

You can change your preferences through the "User Control Panel". Note that this may cause the "subsilver2" style to go a bit wonky. If it does, drop me a private message.

Apologies to our friends from Down Under; there was no Australian English available. Perhaps it's not considered English at all any more? :wink:
Have to say, I liked my old settings better....
Thanks, Oscar. :D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gregg1100 wrote:British English is the original and best. We just spell certain words differently to confuse others from other nations. :mrgreen:
Yes, it seems the English stole all the vowels from Welsh to embellish their own tongue. For shame! :mrgreen:
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

Another minor issue: I can't figure out how to get the Smilies from the smilie table into my text.

I used to move the mouse over a smilie, see what text came up in the bottom of the screen, and insert that. I think drag-and-drop used to work, or maybe it was cut-and-paste, but it doesn't seem to any more.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

AMM wrote:Another minor issue: I can't figure out how to get the Smilies from the smilie table into my text.
Poke the "smiley" in the nose with a left-button click (warning: browser dependent) -- like this -- :shock: -- the proper code will go wherever the vertical bar cursor is on the editing pane leaving the smiley staring back from the screen at you.

This is better behaviour than before as poking the smiley then with a mouse-click usually resulted in the code being placed at the very end of your text, which, I suspect, you'll agree was "less than optimal".
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Different but pretty. Works for me and I love the star (or dot depending on the style) letting me know I have already posted in that thread.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Personally I'm as happy as a White Shark with a fresh Sea Lion. I love the new look AND the fact that NOW all new posts are displayed right after they are posted, unlike the old way where you couldn't see a post you did until the next time you signed on. Blue is my favorite color so that makes me insanely happy too. Weeeeoooo!! In my opinion the overall look of everything is MUCH cleaner and professional. :thewave:
I bet you noticed I like the wave emoticon. :thewave:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
skirts4me
Distinguished Member

Post by skirts4me »

crfriend wrote:
AMM wrote:[O]nly "british english" is available (not that I believe phpBB really knows the difference.)
Apologies to our friends from Down Under; there was no Australian English available. Perhaps it's not considered English at all any more? :wink:
We, from the Land Down Under, like our British counterparts, speak English so, apart from some of the wierd spellings of local place names using real English (known to some as "British" English) is unlikely to cause us any concern.:rofl:
(wanted a good stirrer emoticon but couldn't find one)
Shalom
Steven