Updated software

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
crfriend
Master Barista

Updated software

Post by crfriend »

Beginning at about 12:00 UTC (GMT) on 2008-05-24 the SkirtCafe staff undertook updating the version of the phpBB software that drives SkirtCafe. Due to some unforeseen glitches, this caused about two hours of downtime to the Cafe and the loss of some posts beginning about midnight UTC to 15:00 UTC. We humbly apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused.

If anyone experiences problems with the new software, please do not hesitate to drop me a private message. I made the mess, and it's up to me to clean it up.

Why did we update the software? There was recently a change in the PHP (Perl Handler Preprocessor) standard that would have caused future problems with the phpBB 2.0 version that we were previously running; hence, the phpBB developers decided to "retire" version 2 early in favour of version 3, which is what we're running now. Additionally, a good number of other bugs and security-related issues have been fixed, and generally speaking, staying up to date on software loads is a good idea. Hence the decision.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Updated software

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
New software brightened up the forum no end. Thank you for your efforts, and thanks to anyone else involved. :)
Regards,
Greg
Bob
Barista Emeritus

...from the Master Barista

Post by Bob »

Thank you Carl for being on top of this issue and moving us along. Staying up-to-date is important in order to maintain security, the last thing we want is to end up on an orphaned version of phpBB. I agree, the new look looks nice, even though it does take a bit of getting used to for me. The editor is now easier to use for making bold, underline and probably other stuff as well. And of course, we still have all the smilies that Carl so graciously added last month :yay:

Please bear with us as we get any remaining issues ironed out.

And again... thank you Carl for all your work on this issue.