Did something suddenly change?

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Did something suddenly change?

Post by Sinned »

What "scares" me a little is what is the contingency if Carl cannot continue supporting this site? Is there someone else who could effectively take over the role? And has Carl thought of training up a replacement? Thank you Carl for your dedication and expertise.

Oh, and on the subject, I have very few problems either on timeouts or otherwise. I can reliably login every time without needing a password and don't get logged off when constructing a reply. But then I rarely give long replies.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:11 pmWhat "scares" me a little is what is the contingency if Carl cannot continue supporting this site? Is there someone else who could effectively take over the role? And has Carl thought of training up a replacement?
This is a weak point in the running of the site. I have no obvious successor that could assume my role. Now, I have no immediate plans to terminate my "residence" here, but as is commonly mentioned, "Life is short and subject to surprises", and there's always the possibility I might get hit by a bus (or, more likely, a car piloted by someone on a cell' 'phone or who is TXTing) tomorrow. I suppose the responsibility would fall back to the proper owner of the site, Bob (now Elizabeth), whom I remain in communication with, if something "unfortunate" should befall me.

I'd like very much to find a protege in his late 30s or early 40s to learn the ropes, but that seems to be a bit of a long-shot as I'd also demand the wisdom to manage things with an even hand on the tiller from a moderation perspective. Technical prowess and the "even hand" do not necessarily go hand-in-hand, and the role demands both.
Thank you Carl for your dedication and expertise.
You, and everybody else are more than welcome. I am very happy to have been of service.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:32 pm
I'd like very much to find a protege in his late 30s or early 40s to learn the ropes, but that seems to be a bit of a long-shot as I'd also demand the wisdom to manage things with an even hand on the tiller from a moderation perspective. Technical prowess and the "even hand" do not necessarily go hand-in-hand, and the role demands both.
That's why, ideally, it would be good to have a team including at least one with the moderation abilities and one with the technical skills.

And thanks, Carl, from me, also.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

crfriend wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:32 pm
Sinned wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:11 pmWhat "scares" me a little is what is the contingency if Carl cannot continue supporting this site? Is there someone else who could effectively take over the role? And has Carl thought of training up a replacement?
This is a weak point in the running of the site. I have no obvious successor that could assume my role. Now, I have no immediate plans to terminate my "residence" here, but as is commonly mentioned, "Life is short and subject to surprises", and there's always the possibility I might get hit by a bus (or, more likely, a car piloted by someone on a cell' 'phone or who is TXTing) tomorrow. I suppose the responsibility would fall back to the proper owner of the site, Bob (now Elizabeth), whom I remain in communication with, if something "unfortunate" should befall me.

Thank you Carl for your dedication and expertise.
You, and everybody else are more than welcome. I am very happy to have been of service.
First and foremost thank you for all the work in the background. A thoughtful response Carl - we would very much miss you, it is becoming harder to find someone younger to take on these responsibilities. The idea of a team has merit even if it is difficult to manage.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:00 pm Thank you Brad for the high praise. It means much.

Yes, there is a fair bit of "back room" work involved, and for the most part it's entirely thankless as the intent is to really make the work "disappear" and have everything just "there" for the community, much in the same vein that we expect water to flow from the tap when we turn it on.

It sort of boggles the imagination to think that I've been doing this for very close to 20 years! How does one put that on a CV?
Thank you Carl!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I was a member of another forum, one of a similar
age but dedicated to a completely different topic. It died recently, despite the sterling efforts of its founder and driving force, because it was no longer supported by some software provider or something like that. Here my woeful ignorance of websites and IT is on full view, because I really don't understand the technicalities. But the general idea is that IT systems move on and eventually any websites which don't keep up with the changes will be unable to operate. Is that a risk for the Café? Will it have to morph into a lesser format such as a Facebook group?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:36 pmBut the general idea is that IT systems move on and eventually any websites which don't keep up with the changes will be unable to operate. Is that a risk for the Café? Will it have to morph into a lesser format such as a Facebook group?
To the former, it's already happened once when our hosting provider "upgraded" the version of PHP (which is the script interpretation language the forum software is written in) and caused an outage some time ago that I had to perform an emergency upgrade of the forum software to match the new version of the interpreter. It wasn't pretty, and caused me measurable distress.

To the latter point, no, that's not going to happen, at least not on my watch.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:09 am
skirtyscot wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:36 pmBut the general idea is that IT systems move on and eventually any websites which don't keep up with the changes will be unable to operate. Is that a risk for the Café? Will it have to morph into a lesser format such as a Facebook group?
To the former, it's already happened once when our hosting provider "upgraded" the version of PHP (which is the script interpretation language the forum software is written in) and caused an outage some time ago that I had to perform an emergency upgrade of the forum software to match the new version of the interpreter. It wasn't pretty, and caused me measurable distress.

To the latter point, no, that's not going to happen, at least not on my watch.
And even if phpBB went the way of the dodo, I presume there are other forum systems that could be installed and migrated to.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:38 amAnd even if phpBB went the way of the dodo, I presume there are other forum systems that could be installed and migrated to.
Yes, that has been done in the distant past.

Originally, Skirt Cafe was a direct descendent of Tom's Cafe (as in we got the backing database) to "found" Skirt Cafe. Tom's was run on vBullletin, and Bob (the original Master Barista) performed the necessary transformations of the database to make it "fit" with phpBB -- a bit of a tour-de-force if I might add -- and we've moved forward since. So there is precedent.

The above having been said, contemplate the angst and aggro that the change to another format will cause the community. That's one of the reasons I try not to keep up with the "latest and greatest" as put out by the phpBB team. Without members, communities -- and this is a community -- cannot exist.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Carl, your contribution to this forum is phenomenal. Without you it probably wouldn't be going. Thank you.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Reading the latest comments, brought back a flood of memories :D
I remember "Tom's Cafe" quite well :D Extremely nice people :D
The vBulletin format was "interesting" but, difficult to search for anything :|
Many hearty conversations were held by the "Potted Palm" :D

I was unable to attend the Skirted Men March, in New York city,(that Tom helped to
organize) in 2001. He was a great person, but cancer took him to early. Same for
'Noodles' and a bunch of other fine people(not cancer related).

I would not want the M. B. Job at Skirt Cafe'. I'm so far out of computer technology
that I wouldn't stand a chance, even of blowing out a fuse in a circuit ;)
Plus, I'm 10 years older than Carl(The Kid ;) ).

I have helped put out many flame wars - before becoming part of the Admin team.
Some of those 'wars' became the founding of xmarksthescot.com, a Kilt Only forum.
I've gotten away from that site because I'm more 'open minded' than those members.

October 2023 will mark 20 years of membership at Skirt Cafe'.
:hmmm: Doesn't seem that long......

Sorry, I'm rambling a bit but, remember this - "If it ain't fixed, don't broke it".

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I was originally a member of Tom's Cafe and attended the Million Skirted Men march in Feb 2004. It was a wonderful day and it was great to meet Tom and others in person. Tom Manuel was a wonderful person and I forever thank him for allowing me to find other skirt wearers and allow me to realize that men can proudly wear skirts in public. Tom was taken way too soon. I want to give credit to Lar who assisted Tom in organizing the MSM. I feel like "those were the days".
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Brad wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:04 amI was originally a member of Tom's Cafe and attended the Million Skirted Men march in Feb 2004.
<snip>
I want to give credit to Lar who assisted Tom in organizing the MSM. I feel like "those were the days".
Hi Brad :D

Thanks for 'clearing out some cobwebs' from my brain :D
Yes, thanks to Lar who assisted Tom with "The March" :D

Skirt Cafe' has come a long way from that point, and I'm very thankful for it :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

May I also add my deep appreciation of the work that Carl does to maintain this site (and for the moderators too)!

Of all the fora that I visit, this is by far the most reliable and pleasant to use - no unnecessary software requirements, no bells or whistles, no acrimonious flaming or trolling, just a steady, dependable and flexible place to meet like-minded people and chat about what interests us.

Long may it continue thus!

Wishing the best of health and continuing energy to Carl and the Moderators,

Familyman34
Familyman34