Petticoats

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Petticoats

Post by moonshadow »

Well... After an unsuccessful search on Saturday, Sunday I ordered two petticoats online. They arrived on Tuesday, and I picked them up today...

One of them is a shorter knee length red petticoat with no ring and is just generally "fluffy". It is the more practical one of the two.

The other....

Well, the other is a petticoat to get Carl's attention. I underestimated how big of a hoop this thing has....

It is definitely an interesting garment to wear, and only works with certain full skirts.

Sorry Kilty... this ain't pencil territory! :D

I must admit to feeling just a bit silly in the petticoat. However Jenn said she likes it, and it's fun to dance in...

Remember this old favorite?

AND NOW....
For the GRAND FINALE:

When you don't have cable or TV reception...this is a good way to spend the evening....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I must admit to feeling just a bit silly in the petticoat. However Jenn said she likes it, and it's fun to dance in...
It sounds like the short one will likely get the most mileage.

Does the long one have a hoop in it, or is it merely just incredibly full? From the way it hangs, it definitely looks like it has a hoop and the dancing seems to verify that.

Experiment with both, especially with very long skirts (although the knee-length one might not work well with long skirts). You'll find out pretty quickly how the petti will "tame" some of long skirts' "bad habits".

Where'd you get them?

We're starting to get some cooler weather here now, and I've worn long skirts with my red petti a couple of times already.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:It sounds like the short one will likely get the most mileage.
I believe so, mainly just for practical purposes alone. It's got three layers and gives my knee length skirts some pop. I didn't photograph myself in the red one, but I'll probably wear it this weekend, so you can expect my usual "skirted weekend pictorial journal" in Moon's Phases.

The long one, while I felt silly standing in the bathroom looking down on the size of it, Jenn seemed to like it. Standing there in the bathroom, it reminded me of my first time in my first skirt almost dreading going out the door. When Jenn saw it, she expressed a gentle smile, and said "hey.. I like it". I literally felt my apprehension melt away. :)

While dressed in the rainbow tiedie rig, I walked out to the van to get Jenn's mail, it was after dark and the shadow of the neighbors dusk to dawn light gave me a pleasing shadow, as you can well imagine. I also took advantage of the darkness to practice getting in and out of the car. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, however it definitely takes up the entire drivers side section. It's not dangerous or anything, but suffice it to say, I can't see the pedals. When I exited the car, I was pleased to see it re-took it's shape nicely.
crfriend wrote:Experiment with both, especially with very long skirts (although the knee-length one might not work well with long skirts). You'll find out pretty quickly how the petti will "tame" some of long skirts' "bad habits".
The knee length one is perfect for knee length skirts. I've got some mid calf lengths that I haven't tried yet, but I believe it would probably work for those as well. Anything past that and it will probably deflate under the weight of the skirt. The red petti has no ring, just three ruffled layers. The white longer one does have a ring. You were right, it's not rigid at all. It's able to flex and shape itself to a variety of circumstances. I was concerned that the ring might break my stride, however I found that I can perform a full stride without issue as the ring takes on different oval shapes when need be.

It's all around just a fun rig to wear. Not something I'd plan on taking to the movies, or anywhere else where I would expect cramped seating. When I sit in this thing, it extends about 2 feet on both sides and along the front of me.

Just for fun, I'm thinking about purchasing a winged top, and using the petti and one of my hippie skirts, I'm thinking of being a fairy for Halloween! :lol:

But anyway, I imagine it would be a head turner regardless of the fairy wings. Even a woman wearing such a garment would turn heads. You are right, nobody really wears these things anymore, men or women alike. Even the more formal modern dresses and skirts seem to be of a more "pencil" variety. It sure is bold.
crfriend wrote:Where'd you get them?
I found the site simply by searching google for "petticoats", and found http://www.jjshouse.com/, they seem to specialize in wedding apparel.

The direct links to what I purchased:

Long white petticoat

Knee length red petticoat

Both petti's had a generous elastic waist that seemed to fit my 35" waist line like a glove. No snaps, buttons, or hooks, which I thought was nice. The white one can be long, it has a very wide waist section as you can see, hanging the bottom of my waist on my hip (which I believe is how it's supposed to be worn) resulted in the petti showing under the skirts, so I hiked it up quite a bit, more so than I normally do on skirts, literally right below my breast area. But when wearing a top over it, you can't tell anyway.

As you can tell from the petti-dance... everything stayed in place nicely. :wink: In that one scene I thought it was coming down, but I believe I was wrong.

Going forward, I'd like to look into a ringless calf length that would about half the flare of the current ringed white one. This would give me a more practical petti for my longer skirts. But the wide ringed one is still a lot of fun, and.... who knows, I may just wear it out Saturday as we're planning just a picnic and a ride, not really going to be sitting anywhere particular....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

In that last pic, you just need a bustle and you're half way to being Queen Victoria! I don't think I've ever seen a petticoat that wide in the wild, except under a wedding dress (so of course I haven't seen one, but you know what I mean).
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirtyscot wrote:In that last pic, you just need a bustle and you're half way to being Queen Victoria! I don't think I've ever seen a petticoat that wide in the wild, except under a wedding dress (so of course I haven't seen one, but you know what I mean).
Yeah... it sure is wide. Will probably just wear it for fun once in a while. It's certainly not the most practical garment in the closet.

The search continues for one that can cut down down to about half of what it is in the photo. Although I'm happy to have one of these in my collection, as one never knows when one might be crowed the "King of Queens". :lol: Big fat dress and all! :bom:
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Yeah... it sure is wide. Will probably just wear it for fun once in a while. It's certainly not the most practical garment in the closet.
Whilst it's definitely fuller than I would naturally gravitate towards, some of my imagery in my very long rigs points up a similar, but shallower, profile. There's also the problem that "bridal" gear tends very strongly toward costume where what I was going after was historical accuracy that would have been practical everyday wear when such things were actually worn. Recall that the typical wedding gown gets worn precisely once and then relegated to a hanging tomb in the closet instead of getting later worn when dressing up was required, either with or without alteration. Some of the rigs from that supplier are close to full-on crinoline gear which is 1850s/1860s period and remarkably impractical -- even for the time, never mind now.

Also recall the skirt I have that has an accidental bustle to it due to the failure of the front elastic at the waist... (It's a look I actually like, and for which I have garnered positive comments on.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Also recall the skirt I have that has an accidental bustle to it due to the failure of the front elastic at the waist... (It's a look I actually like, and for which I have garnered positive comments on.)
I know the look you're talking of, I have seen it and thought it was quite stellar. In fact, I'm close to putting something like that together. I don't have the top yet, but I'll eventually put something together, however my goal was to find a smaller petti to use with this skirt (photographed below). The hem isn't as big as some of the other ones, and it's too small of a diameter for the petticoat above, however it is a pretty red skirt, that with the right level of "cone" shape I believe would look really nice. I suppose I could try the knee length petti and see how it looks, but I'm afraid it might be too short.

I continue to BOL...

-Andrea
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

For modesty purposes I decided to try a Colleer black tulle petticoat under my new Tartanista utility kilt. The weight of the kilt prevents the six layers of tulle fom making the kilt stick out too much. The petticoat was a bit longer than expected and peeked below the hem by two or three inches so will need to adjust before wearing in public.
19-07-17_2345.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

skirtpettiman wrote:For modesty purposes I decided to try a Colleer black tulle petticoat under my new
Tartanista utility kilt. The weight of the kilt prevents the six layers of tulle from
making the kilt stick out too much. The petticoat was a bit longer than expected
and peeked below the hem by two or three inches so will need to adjust before
wearing in public.
:scratch: :think: :hmmm: .... FYI - - - -
:!: You don't wear a petticoat under a kilt. :!:
:!: PERIOD :!:

If you're worried about 'modesty' wear a pair of dark colored briefs. Also, when sitting,
the two aprons fall between your legs, especially with the weight of the sporran pressing
down on the kilt.

[Comments removed - the 'rant' about respecting the kilt, in any form, seems to have offended people. ]

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

PM sent to Uncle Al.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Uncle Al wrote:
skirtpettiman wrote:For modesty purposes I decided to try a Colleer black tulle petticoat under my new
Tartanista utility kilt. The weight of the kilt prevents the six layers of tulle from
making the kilt stick out too much. The petticoat was a bit longer than expected
and peeked below the hem by two or three inches so will need to adjust before
wearing in public.
:scratch: :think: :hmmm: .... FYI - - - -
:!: You don't wear a petticoat under a kilt. :!:
:!: PERIOD :!:

If you're worried about 'modesty' wear a pair of dark colored briefs. Also, when sitting,
the two aprons fall between your legs, especially with the weight of the sporran pressing
down on the kilt.

This comes from experience as I've worn my kilts 'both' ways, commando and covered.
Never had a bad experience - either way. The weight of the material helps to keep the
hem 'down'. The kilt pin is placed about 2 inches from the bottom, on the edge of the
top apron. The weight of the pin helps to keep the top apron from flying around.

If you wear a petticoat under a kilt - in public - you'll be subjecting
yourself to ridicule and considered for being "Drawn - n - Quartered"

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Don't insult the heritage of the kilt
by wearing a petticoat under it :!:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Although you are entitled to your opinion, I'm not sure that such a reprimand is justifiable; lest we all be judged for our "fashion freedom" of wearing "women's" clothes. :D
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

To me it looks like finding a balance between tradition and freedom. It is a personal matter. Follow your core values.

I was raised in the Netherlands in a lower middle class world. In the 50s, my parents teached me how to behave in society. What to do and what not. My parents also tried to give a reason for certain rules of etiquette. Like never wear a cap or hat when you are under a roof. It was an insult to the owner of the house because you were indicating his roof was leaking or it was drafty. So my feeling for traditions is quite strong. That is why I have difficulties accepting people wearing their caps in houses or restaurants.

I can understand the uproar when somebody is wearing underskirts under a kilt. It is not traditional. But if somebody wants to go that way, go on. Feel free to do so but expect comments from others when it shows.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Stevie D wrote:PM sent to Uncle Al.
Acknowledged PM to Stevie D
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Uncle Al wrote:
Stevie D wrote:PM sent to Uncle Al.
Acknowledged PM to Stevie D
?
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)