What are you wearing for Halloween?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

My wife and I will be carving two pumpkins (always a big one and a little one, as is now our tradition). We have a lot of candy, since we know that (literally?) TONS of kids will be stopping by. It's really fun, and a great way to say "hi" to all the neighbors as well.

This is our first Halloween with my dog. She barks whenever someone is at the door, and some kids are afraid of her too. Don't know what to do with her yet. I'm thinking of dressing her up. As for myself... after a theatrical career, dressing up seems more like work and less like fun than it did as a kid.

I would be a traditional witch for Halloween, but my wife isn't into the skirt thing, so it will be more fun to just carve pumpkins and dress the dog.

(Oh, did I mention I'm obsessed with my dog? I guess I'm one proud daddy...)
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

sapphire wrote: We don't celebrate Christmas, in that the day, decorations, etc are all a fraud and rip off of pagan customs. However, we do celebrate winter solstice....
Hear, hear! (Where did that clapping icon go?). It always felt 'wrong' even as a small child. I learnt from a real Romany lady (not a gypsy or a 'traveller'), the truth about the various festivals 'adopted' by the religiously-inclined over the centuries. She told my Mother and me the origins of modern day religions, too. Amazingly, the various sources I've seen or read since have done nothing but corroborate her stories. She was certainly a wicce, and taught me many 'skills'. She'd turn up in her typical Romany, round-topped caravan twice a year, stay a week or so and then 'disappear'. No-one knew from where, or to where, she travelled, and we never asked.

Getting back to Halloween, she told us we had nothing to fear from the dead, but - much to learn - to open our minds. My Mother, then a practising Christian, was quite troubled by some of what she said, but although I took it (wicca) all in, it was some years later before I started to put into practice, some of those early 'lifestyle' lessons.

All in all, that's why I'm not prepared to condemn/ignore those kids who do come around, but use the occasion to try and further (or more likely, gently correct!) their understanding.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

I HATE HALLOWEEN!!!!!

Post by Since1982 »

My least favorite day of the year. I usually end up with some sort of candy or pop spilled on my car, trash all around the front door, and the absolute WORST thing about it comes the next day...I get closer to the grave. My B-Day is November 1...hmm Does that make me a Saint?? (or a leftover from halloween?) :evil: :evil: :evil: :roll: I'm old and grumpy, I have a right to my complaints. :roll:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

We generally go down to the corner bar and hide out.

For me it is not so much about handing out inducements to diabetes in the future, it is about having to open the door so frequently. The cats are strictly indoor cats and I worry about them getting out.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

merlin wrote:
sapphire wrote: We don't celebrate Christmas, in that the day, decorations, etc are all a fraud and rip off of pagan customs. However, we do celebrate winter solstice....
Hear, hear! (Where did that clapping icon go?).

but use the occasion to try and further (or more likely, gently correct!) their understanding.
What do you do with them, do you have a large pond that is in need of frogs and toads? :shock: :? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was talking to my mother about these happenings, like haloween, which to many is a fun thing, but because it is organised on a large scale, is forced upon people that don't want anything to do with it, and are psychologically forced to playing the game, and giving sweets etc, because it is unpleasant not to open the door to kids when they do come knocking. Feeling that it is compulsary, you play the game, if you don't want to be branded the stingy family or whatever,

Ofcourse for the people involved who like doing it and others who accept the tradition it is a fun outing.

Peter v
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Christianity was ruined or, more appropriately, destroyed by that British princeling who became Emperor of Rome- Constantine :twisted: The Gnostics, who were the closest true followers of the old way were suppressed. Centuries later the Cathars were ruthlessly exterminated. There is no unbroken line of Bishops from the Apostles as Constantine appointed Bishops from the Appolonian and Mithraic cults to bring into being his version which was actually closer to the Celtic "Hesus". I could say more but would get into a huge argument which is not what we are really here for!
Milfmog

Re: I HATE HALLOWEEN!!!!!

Post by Milfmog »

Since1982 wrote:My B-Day is November 1...hmm Does that make me a Saint?? (or a leftover from halloween?)
Neither, it makes you a member of a very select group of people who share my birthday :D

So, one day early to allow for slow electrons... Happy Birthday Skip!

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Emerald Witch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Emerald Witch »

ziggy_encaoua wrote:
Milfmog wrote:
ziggy_encaoua wrote:a fake smile
[grump mode]I won't be bothering to fake a smile. I hate Halloween and the organised begging with menaces, sorry, trick or treating, that goes with it.
trick or treating is demanding money with menance so is Carol singing

**** it will be Xmas soon...makes me want to slash my wrists
Good grief, guys! You sound like Scrooge, getting his "stake of holly" ready.

I, for one, am not coming to your house to force you to enjoy yourself. But I will be enjoying myself because the opportunity is here, and I choose to take it.

Some of us actually LIKE making little kiddies happy by giving them some inexpensive candy and putting up decorations and stuff.

I certainly don't send my children to knock on the doors of houses that are not decorated, or whose porchlights are not on. That sends a clear message that those folks are not "playing". Fair enough.

Do folks actually threaten you where you live? I've never heard of anyone around my area getting "tricked". It's just something kids say, but not something anyone does.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Actually, "tricks" were fairly common 30-40 years ago. Pumpkins smashed, eggs thrown at houses, cars wrapped in toilet etc. The police put an end to the vandalism.

Those were also the days of razor blades in apples, poisoned treats and children hurt.

Now, parents accompany their kids on the outings or hold private parties.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Emerald Witch wrote:Good grief, guys! You sound like Scrooge, getting his "stake of holly" ready.
Hi Em,

I like to think I have a choice about when and what to celebrate. I do not wish to have to keep answering the door to kids I don't know and will probably not see again until next year when they leave their Playstations and x-boxes for their annual evening of scrounging. Yeah, I have a right to be Scrooge if I want to be :D
Emerald Witch wrote:...I will be enjoying myself because the opportunity is here, and I choose to take it.
Good for you! But don't we Scrooges deserve a choice too?
Emerald Witch wrote:Some of us actually LIKE making little kiddies happy by giving them some inexpensive candy and putting up decorations and stuff.
...and that's great, but some of us don't! And even those who do may not want to be bugged all evening long.
Emerald Witch wrote:I certainly don't send my children to knock on the doors of houses that are not decorated, or whose porchlights are not on. That sends a clear message that those folks are not "playing"
Glad to hear it, but unfortunately not all parents are like you.
Emerald Witch wrote:Do folks actually threaten you where you live? I've never heard of anyone around my area getting "tricked". It's just something kids say, but not something anyone does.

Of course the vast majority are no problem at all, but it only takes one or two to create the fear in the minds of the vulnerable and then the whole thing takes on a completely different aspect. I have had trash cans turned over on my drive and a car damaged and have neighbours who have suffered sufficiently that they will lock their doors, turn off all their lights and sit at home tonight in the dark hoping that people will think they are out and leave them alone. That really hacks me off. (I have invited then to come round to me this evening, but they don't want to leave their house empty.)

If you like Halloween great, I feel sure that you will not inflict it on others; if only everyone was as considerate as you are.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Peter v wrote: What do you do with them, do you have a large pond that is in need of frogs and toads? Peter v
No! :D My familiar, Daphne (a toad, now well over 16 years of age, and very set in her ways!) wouldn't like the company!

Wiccans are peace-loving folk - as long as you don't 'cross' them or theirs, they generally happy to help those seeking 'enlightenment'!
crfriend
Master Barista

What I wore for Hallowen (at work)...

Post by crfriend »

Well, it was an interesting day at $PPOE (a perlism for "Present Place Of Employment). I wandered in this morning dressed in my usual tr*usered attire but had a "secret weapon" in my laptop bag -- a skirt. It took me a while to screw up the courage and swap trou for the skirt, but screw it up (the courage, that is) I did, and by the time that normal employees started showing up I'd doffed the trou in favour of the skirt. The rig in question was my lower-calf-length black tiered skirt, a white dress shirt, red waistcoat, knee-high skin-tone hosiery, and my normal dress shoes.

The upshot? The first one came very quickly -- somebody notified the manager of the Help desk that I "needed a looking at" and she came round right smartly and sized me up. The voiced opinion was approving -- an early encouragement! (I'll feel this out in the coming days, just to see precisely what was going on.)

Overall, I got a mix of (on the bell curve) praise, nods, double-takes, blank stares, hostile looks, and glares. Note that this discounts the fully-expected jabs from my work pals ("Is that your skirt or your wife's?" -- "Do you really want to know, 'cause I'll be happy to tell you!") Precisely nobody said anything overtly negative.

Women seemed to be more accepting and positive than men; more than a few commented nicely on it, one water-cooler encounter resulting in her doing a flourish and a curtsey and me executing an elegant bow in response.

Guys tended to be either stand-offish or otherwise non-committal. Of the blokes on my immediate team, one took no notice (he knows about my skirting, having seen me so attired before), three didn't notice (or feigned not noticing), and one barged out of his office to get a closer look. My immediate boss didn't say anything at all, and his boss commented, "that's an interesting costume" but nothing else. (Put bluntly, I care more for my bosses to concern themselves with the quality of my work than what I'm wearing.) One chap, however, remarked that he liked what I was wearing, and that was darned refreshing.

The full fallout won't be known for several days (or weeks) yet, but it'll be interesting to see what thoughts come from the woodwork.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

merlin wrote:
Peter v wrote: What do you do with them, do you have a large pond that is in need of frogs and toads? Peter v
No! :D My familiar, Daphne (a toad, now well over 16 years of age, and very set in her ways!) wouldn't like the company!

Wiccans are peace-loving folk - as long as you don't 'cross' them or theirs, they generally happy to help those seeking 'enlightenment'!
Well I'm very glad to hear that.
Not turning kids into toads, good heavens, the pond would be full in no time. :shock: :? :P :P

Peter v
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What I wore for Hallowen (at work)...

Post by Peter v »

crfriend wrote:Well, it was an interesting day at $PPOE (a perlism for "Present Place Of Employment). I wandered in this morning dressed in my

Women seemed to be more accepting and positive than men; more than a few commented nicely on it, one water-cooler encounter resulting in her doing a flourish and a curtsey and me executing an elegant bow in response.

Guys tended to be either stand-offish or otherwise non-committal.
OMG. that's a big step, but one which all skirt wearers owe themselves, if they can bring up the courage. Congratulations. And in a healthy minded community there should be no problems by doing so. You are a very good example to follow.

It is a shame that it is so difficult to judge how reactions will be, before undertaking such a step. This may keep men from taking the chance it goes well, being affraid it may not go down well with some collegues.

Of course there may, must be more men willing to say, great outfit, or "I'll get my skirt" or at least say hey great for you, not being afraid of being put down a few rungs in the respect ladder under men. But men in a men's fake world don't want to show any "weakness", any emotions, for fear of being seen as weak by the other men.

Jim doesn't say what he really wants because Peter may hear, and Peter doesn't say what he really wants because Jack may hear, and jack doesn't say what he really wants because O'riley may hear, and O'riley doesn't say what he really wants because Jim may hear. The circle goes around, all being wary of what the other may think. I think men won't give their real feelings easily if they know that other men are watching and judging.

Women may do the same, but I think they are much freeer with saying what they think about fashion at least.

Is this an opening to wear an stunning evening gown for the christmas party? :shock: :shock: :roll: :oops: :? :P :P :P :P

Peter v
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

What am I wearing for Halloween?????

Post by Since1982 »

As I age, I get naturally uglier and don't need to wear anything to still scare the trick or treaters...They take one look at me and go YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! It's a MONSTER from the black lagoon!!

As I write this, I'm retching...in 46 minutes I become 66...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
Last edited by Since1982 on Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/