Who says skirts and dresses are not practical?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Who says skirts and dresses are not practical?

Post by crfriend »

SkirtDude wrote:This weekend I watched a reproduction canal packet boat go through a lock.
That sounds like it was a bit of a treat! Where was this?
The crew was all female and dressed in 19th century period costume. They went climbing up and down ladders, jumping on and off the boat, walking across the lock gates to open the wicket gates and so on all dressed in low calf to high ankle length dresses. They never missed a step.
It's certainly possible to do almost anything in skirts that one can do in trousers, but it can take a lot more skill and a very fine attention to detail. Whether it's a good idea or not, I'll leave to the reader's imagination. I'll honestly admit that I'd have precisely no clue how to negotiate a ladder in a long skirt...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi All,
I managed to trip up going up the stairs when I had a long skirt on,- trouble was, I was carrying two mugs of tea. I was nearly at the top, so elbows landed hard down on carpet--saved most of the tea though. :oops: .
Seems as though we need to get up early to practice wearing clothes that a woman does so, so naturally. If you know what I mean :D
Greg
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Obviously skirts have their less practical moments, but we are not wearing them for their functionality, but because we want to wear them, we want to be able to CHOOSE what we wear, they are comfortable, airy , give us more possibilitys to express our selves, and opens up a door to much more creative dressing than men's wear gives, for the freestylers. And it's just fun. Functional or not. I sometimes hear such suggestions like comfort, freer leg room, and so on, as a defence, don't get into that discussion. There always reasons not to. Just say that jou enjoy wearing skirts, and leave it at that. Let others fill in what they think about it. Skirts snag behind everything, hang in the way, at least knee lenght or longer, many skirts have a liner, slip, which restricts movement more than denim skirts or kilts, But what's functional about a ferrari? It sure should be fun to drive! And don't even think about the insurance. What about motorcycle riding, you eat flies, are always in the winfd, get wet, have to dress like a crusader to protect yourself If or when you fall off:roll: , get dirty, and so on. Who cares? It's a trip to freedom. Skirt wearing is like that too.

Just do what you can in what you wear. I would walk naked on the beach, but certainly not through a high reed field or dense bush :shock: :? :lol: :lol: Ouch....

Climbing ladders as a window washer is probably better (safer) with souple well fitting narrow pipe trousers (no snagging). Mecanics often get on their knees, and have special knee pads in their work trousers, no pads posible on knee length skirts, not to mention the vieuw from behind :oops: :oops:

So who cares, wear skirts as often a you desire. What happens when you walk in the rain in a skirt? You get wet. The same in trousers.

peter v
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Let's assume this gal is wearing a skirt...a charitable assumption 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

More better:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

You've come a long way ladies!
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Nice pictures, Just the soort of pictures you would expect from where I live, except the shoes would even today be Dutch clogs. ( they are still very efficient shoes for on the farm)

I think that at the time the pictures were taken, the women probably didn't have much choice in what they were to wear. I do think that apart from dragging in cow dung the long skirts would be quite comfortable and keep the legs warm, even though the legs have free movement. And thinking further, walking quickly in such long skirts through a field with anything higher than several inches would be somewhat clumsy, the skirt dragging on everything, unless you would pull the skirt up, and even that only works on the front, which in turn doesn't walk very handy. Luckily we are not seeking compulsary wearing of skirts full time. It's the freedom of the open option to choose which skirt, and when you want to wear it that we are working to get.

Peter v

PS I was talking only this afternoon to a very nice middel aged store keepster, who is very interested in my skirt wearing, and who has the same vieuw on the fashion scene as we have! We are not alone in this.
Not all women are satisfied with all that is thought up for them. She said, that the men's fashion is overall so dull, completely in comparison with what women can choose out of. She also said, that although many women of course love the """feminine """ clothes, which accentuate the beautiful body, there is a want to have basic clothes as well, and they are not always available. They are some basics there, and we men make use of that, like neutral denim skirts, but like shoes, still being "dainty", sleek ( the women's foot is a little smaller than men's) there are so many shoes, boots, where decorations are put on, and women themselves don't always want everything decorated. This was a very interesting chat, which aknowledged what I already thought, that even though women have very much choice, they too have to make do with what the fashion people think up.

I also realise that listening to everybodys needs alone won't sell, so choices are obviously made. But understanding each other greatly enriches your life and ultimately benifits us all. It's moments like that that make me feel normal, accepted just for being me. How often do you feel normal, accepted, without having to do something for it?

I also talk in somewhat the same way, but over thousands of miles in this forum and it too gives me much the same feeling. Isn't it great?

Best regards,
Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re:

Post by Grok »

Peter v wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:15 am
not seeking compulsary wearing of skirts full time. It's the freedom of the open option to choose which skirt, and when you want to wear it that we are working to get.

Peter v.
"Open option" is not only "a trip to freedom", but is a good description for the option of open ended garments :!: :mrgreen:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re:

Post by Grok »

Peter v wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:50 pm what's functional about a ferrari? It sure should be fun to drive! What about motorcycle riding, you eat flies, are always in the winfd, get wet, have to dress like a crusader to protect yourself If or when you fall off:roll: , get dirty, and so on. Who cares? It's a trip to freedom. Skirt wearing is like that too.

Just do what you can in what you wear. I would walk naked on the beach, but certainly not through a high reed field or dense bush :shock: :? :lol: :lol: Ouch....

peter v
"...a ferrari....fun to drive!" Good point. As I recall, that fellow Hamish would "test drive" new kilt variants.

"Test drive"-wearing a new item for the first time, trying it out. If it is a type of new skirt/dress, you may learn a new lesson in skirtmanship.