Scarves and shawls

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
christopheruk1

Scarves and shawls

Post by christopheruk1 »

Now that the weather is closing in, certainly in the northern hemisphere anyhow, I was wondering what scarves and shawls people like to wear. My personal taste is for pashmina shawls and stoles. They are light, very warm and come in lots of different colours. You can wear them in lots of different ways, but I like to wear mine as a shawl. They seem to be mostly worn by women, and when I’m out in my shawl I sometimes get similar looks as when I wear other items of female clothing (you know what I’m talking about!), but I have seen a few guys wearing them.
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

I recently made a winter cape. Hasn't really been cold enough to warrant wearing it (almost heatwave temps), but tomorrow is going to be cold I hope! :roll:

EDIT. I wore my cape grocery shopping tonight! It was downright chilly and breezy all day and so I wore it out for a walk and then shopping.
Last edited by BrotherTailor on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
christopheruk1

Post by christopheruk1 »

Hi

A cape spounds good, let's hope it gets a little colder. I find it funny that these days I seem to wish it would get colder so that I can wear autumn/winter fashions! I think I prefer autumn/winter styles, maybe it's because I can cover up a little and hide a multitude of sins! I also like ponchos (these seemed to be everywhere a few years back, but not so much now, but I still think they are stylish), I've got my eye on a thick knit one with a cowl neck from Marks and Spencer (see attached picture), so just waiting for the weather to change so I can justify buying it!
Christopher
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I want something for the winter. One of the coats like they wore in The Matrix would be my ideal Christmas present - if any millionaires out there have got any spare cash - but in the meantime I am looking on eBay for capes. Or possibly a long trenchcoat. But I haven't seen anything decent in my price range yet.

I don't wear scarves or shawls, however, I do like the idea of a poncho - in the style of Clint Eastwood, or course. That would look great with a mini skirt.

I will have to look around the shops next week and see if I can find anything.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Yes, More like Clint Eastwood than Father Ted in working gear :?
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Here's the first version of a cape I made Simplicity 5753. The flat collar and lining is not original, I added them. Bob, if you can shrink this to a smaller size please do so. I don't know why a small photo hets enlarged on scanning in...it fits in the palm of my hand. :?

[Mod -- Resized as requested -- CRF]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

That's a lovely garment. Well done, Brother Tailor.

Might I make a suggestion? In this style, it appears that if one wanted to use one's hands, then the front of the garment would have to be opened. What do you think of the idea of adding hand slits? That way one would not be required to open the garment in order to pick something up or to work one something.

I'm actually envisionins soemthing along the lines of a bound buttonhole with a flap.
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Hi sapphire,
The cape only comes to my wrists, so it really does not interfere. For work, when I need my "business arm" free, I just flip one side back on my shoulder and then flip it back down when I'm done. I thought of making one with slits as you suggest. but I stuck with the pattern open at the front for ease of putting it on etc.

Thanks for shrinking it, whoever. :wink:
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I don't know why a small photo hets enlarged on scanning in...it fits in the palm of my hand. Confused
Because your computer will be showing everything at at resolution of about 90 pixels per inch - if you have a screen resolution set to 1024 by 768.

But your scanner is likely to scan things at a minimum of 300 pixels per inch or probably well above this - as that is the minimum quality needed for printing photographs.

So what this means is if you scan something and then look at it on your computer screen, it will appear as 3 or 4 times bigger - or even more (depending on the scanning resolution). So you will always need to resize images in order to make them small enough to be viewed on a web page.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ChristopherJ wrote:
I don't know why a small photo hets enlarged on scanning in...it fits in the palm of my hand. Confused
Because your computer will be showing everything at at resolution of about 90 pixels per inch - if you have a screen resolution set to 1024 by 768.
The problem here is that when one is designing a web page, or layout, the configuration that the intended audience is using is an unknown (indeed, it's a "cannot be known"), although it can sometimes be guessed at. The "pixels-per-inch" value is a combination of the selected resolution and the dimensions of the viewing surface. For instance, I have a 17" monitor (12.75" horizontal width) and run the resolution at 1280 x 1024 producing a pixel-per-inch value of about 100 per inch (at the very limit of perceptability by the human eye). That value would be considerably different if I was using a 30" behemoth.

I answered the original poster with some of the theory (and resized his image). Generally speaking it's best to keep the width of images to 400-500 pixels. Most modern displays will handle that quite conveniently in the real-estate taken up by a browser window, but that may not be the case if someone is using a very low resolution setting with the intent of making fonts bigger. If anybody'd like a copy, just ask.
But your scanner is likely to scan things at a minimum of 300 pixels per inch or probably well above this - as that is the minimum quality needed for printing photographs.
The moral of the story is to not think in terms of linear dimensions (inches, millimeters, &c.) but rather in pixels when laying out a web page or rescaling an image. Know also that you cannot know your viewer's setup (OK, you know mine, now, for a single machine).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Just a thought

Post by sapphire »

Just a thought about those pashmina stoles. What do you think of the possibility of sewing two of them together to form a poncho? You would sew the short end of one to the long end of the other and then do the same with the other long/short ends. The result would be a "V" with an opening for the head.

For the really crafty types, you could pick up stitches, either knit or crochet and create a cowl or turtleneck.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

For ChristopherJ

Post by sapphire »

Chris,
Here in the States there is a store called "Hot Topic" that sells those Matrix style duster coats.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

The moral of the story is to not think in terms of linear dimensions (inches, millimeters, &c.) but rather in pixels when laying out a web page or rescaling an image. Know also that you cannot know your viewer's setup
Scanners are calibrated in pixels/inch or pixels/cm etc. - so that was why I referred to those units when I described the sizing issues when scanning for web pages.
I know that you can't ever know the viewing setup - I've been creating websites (for fun) since 1995 - but you can get it near enough. Most people use the 1024 x 768 resolution (about 60%) and so if a web page or image is designed to fit that then it will be right for most viewers and it won't be too far wrong for the rest. Doesn't matter what the screen size is. Relatively few people use lower resolutions these days and images designed to fit the 1024 x 768 will look OK at higher resolutions anyway.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

ChristopherJ wrote:I want something for the winter. One of the coats like they wore in The Matrix would be my ideal Christmas present - if any millionaires out there have got any spare cash - but in the meantime I am looking on eBay for capes. Or possibly a long trenchcoat. But I haven't seen anything decent in my price range yet.

I don't wear scarves or shawls, however, I do like the idea of a poncho - in the style of Clint Eastwood, or course. That would look great with a mini skirt.

I will have to look around the shops next week and see if I can find anything.
Chris, do you want the cape, or what they had in them? :P

I have tried on a cape, or was it a poncho, at a women's clothing shop, and I said to the helpster, I must immediately think of Clint eastwood... :P 8)

I would like one, but must think when I would actually use one, because I also have jackets, so do you do overkill and wear one over a winter coat? or over a thick jumper or light jacket?

As for shawls, when wearing roll or turtle neck sweaters, it is really too thick, and otherwise, getting the colour combination right with the rest of the clothing is sometimes a problem, as I too love bright, colourfull shawls, and the pashmir shawls. And let people look at your beautiful shawls, they probably think, "What a nice shawl, I wish I had the guts to wear that. "

I have one too, only one at the moment, and it is wide and long, with a very nice pattern, just lovely to drape around your neck. You don't realise what you are missing until you start wearing things that only women have been wearing up until now. And nobody was stopping us, only we were too scared to try. The good thing about that, is because men are wearing them more often, they become more unisex, so that benefits men who were hesitating before.

I still say, that dressing "colourful" is not trying to look as a woman, only enjoying that which we hadn't dared to wear before.

Peter v
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
christopheruk1

Post by christopheruk1 »

Peter

Pashmina are quite light, so can go well with a roll neck. Though they can get suprisingly warm, especially the silk blend ones (my favorite).

Funnily enough I wore a red pashmina shawl out to a museum in London and a very friendly security guy asked me wear I got my wonderful looking shawls from!!

Chris