Perhaps we need a TV room?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

What I like about this place is how most members here have always leaned towards a 'live-and-let-live' type of attitude for the variety of things other members do here.

Be it painting nails, wearing slips under their skirts, shaving body hair, etc. the breadth and openness of the discussions has made this site a welcome place for many.

What seems to be the singular thread in the fabric or our lives, is the desire for the expanding of the definition of masculinity.

The difficulty that arises seems to stem from the idea that drifting towards femininity might mean losing one's masculinity.

I realize that most folks here have offered up their support for those individuals who wish to do what they like, but there still seems to be quite a bit of tension about men testing the feminine waters... so to speak.

I find it sad, albeit interesting, that our societies-at-large cringe so easily at the thought of movement from masculine towards feminine, indicating that there is something inherently distasteful or demeaning of men who move in that direction.

It could be said that the opposite is true for women, although this still indicates that the feminine is less than desirable for certain positions in our societies.

The real struggle for men in skirts is probably less about 'fashion freedom' than it is about 'questions of masculinity'.

The exploration, support and general acceptance between members here is what I value the most.

As to EW's question about a TV Room...

I was right there with SkirtChaser... I thought you were wanting to talk about television! :lol:
And since I do not own one, I would be left out of that forum :cry:

Personally, I would like EW and others to feel free to bring up questions about TV issues, hoping these questions were pertinent to the membership here.
Since I do not consider myself to be TV I wouldn't have much to offer on that specific topic, but I would be interested in what they had to ask or had to offer up on the subject.

So I would vote no on the special room.
I would prefer that everyone here conduct themselves accordingly to Bob's wishes and if they find a particular thread not to their liking, leave it alone.
If they find it offensive and against the paragraph that heads each page, then they should bring it to Bob's attention and not start fighting with people here about it.

If we can keep things civil, then I cannot see where we would have problems discussing topics related to TV things like many that the membership here has already discussed over the years.

:D
WSmac
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

We seem to be going round in circles on this topic and getting hot under the collar while going nowhere. maybe it's time to lock this topic off. It is obvious that the majority concensus is to keep things as they currently stand.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

What I like about this place is how most members here have always leaned towards a 'live-and-let-live' type of attitude for the variety of things other members do here...

What seems to be the singular thread in the fabric or our lives, is the desire for the expanding of the definition of masculinity.
The recent changes have taken all this into account, while seeking to maintain the core principles of SkirtCafe. The "Freestyle Fashion" forum is explicitly welcoming to all variety of things members do here. However, I have also made it clear that we are expanding the definition of masculinity here, we are not trying to pretend to be someone else --- "Freestyle Fashion" does NOT mean TV/CD. Many people (myself included) are just not comfortable with a TV forum. I hope this will strike the needed balance, and that we can all get along.

In any case, comments on the changes are welcome.
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

I think you got the balance right on all of that -- will be interesting to see how the different rooms fill up. Nice one
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

WSmac wrote: I was right there with SkirtChaser... I thought you were wanting to talk about television! :lol:
And since I do not own one, I would be left out of that forum :cry:
Hey, don't you know this is an inclusive board, WSmac? No television necessary for a television forum. There is always the vital "why I don't have a TV" perspective! I play here yet I'm not a skirted man, you know. Or is it that I can participate because I , um, own a skirted man? :lol:

Ducking and covering should Quiet Man ever show up here,

Quiet Mouse
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Emerald Witch wrote: All I've wanted all along was to be friendly, and it is so frustrating when misunderstandings creep in due to words which seem so easily understandable, but are not.
The key aspect of what we do that differentiates us from transvestites is a lack of trying to pass (as females).

Nobody here is Eddie Izzard, and they are rather DEVOTED fans.

That's the other thing I feared... as soon as anyone said anything the least bit negative about "trannys" -- they'd be off like a shot. Eddie is a self-proclaimed transvestite, and proud of it. An "Executive Transvestite", rather than a "wierdo" transvestite, as he distinguishes it.
I can see where part of the 'definition' problem comes from, then! From Eddie's professional point of view, the word "Transvestite" has far more "Ummph!" about it than the reality, i.e., "Crossdresser". I've yet to see a photo, video, or whatever of the gentleman as a "Tranny". Some of his stage get-ups were quite outlandish (of course - you want to fill the theatre!), but were always 'Man in Skirt' (plus heels, stockings, make-up,etc.) - no wig, no bra - no, err "Tranny"! Certainly didn't do his long tern career any harm, he's an accomplished actor now, as well as a brilliant stand-up comedian! :lol:

I remember a few years ago (early 80's) when I was usually to be found at Sheffield on a Summer Saturday morning, there was a young man (student?) who used to 'knock about' Pond Street dressed in a Purple/Burgundy robe, had purple fingernails and eye shadow - no-one ever referred to him as a "tranny", well not until one day he turned up wearing a "Norah Batty" style hat (again, purple!). :shock: But, of course, that was only said in jest! Just your average, OTT student! :wink:
Emerald Witch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Emerald Witch »

merlin wrote:
Emerald Witch wrote: That's the other thing I feared... as soon as anyone said anything the least bit negative about "trannys" -- they'd be off like a shot. Eddie is a self-proclaimed transvestite, and proud of it. An "Executive Transvestite", rather than a "wierdo" transvestite, as he distinguishes it.
I can see where part of the 'definition' problem comes from, then! From Eddie's professional point of view, the word "Transvestite" has far more "Ummph!" about it than the reality, i.e., "Crossdresser". I've yet to see a photo, video, or whatever of the gentleman as a "Tranny". Some of his stage get-ups were quite outlandish (of course - you want to fill the theatre!), but were always 'Man in Skirt' (plus heels, stockings, make-up,etc.) - no wig, no bra - no, err "Tranny"! Certainly didn't do his long tern career any harm, he's an accomplished actor now, as well as a brilliant stand-up comedian! :lol:
Yes, it's very true. In most of his published videos his look is very much "Man-in-makeup-and-heels" rather than "Man-in-skirt" and certainly not "Man-in-fake-boobs". But if you check out the special features on his dvd's, or do much research on him you do find that he does wears those accessories in his personal life at will. In fact, I've heard from a reliable source that he spent about six months calling himself "Susan" and trying to pass as female, though it didn't work because his frame is so masculine. So he is a true transvestite, even by this board's standards.

I love him very much, however he presents himself. He is brilliant. He is funny. He is a very good actor, and I think he has a charm which just calls to my soul. But it does make me sad that he seems to have such trouble accepting himself.

Lately, though, it seems he has been going through a "blokey" phaze. I guess he hasn't been sighted in female garb in several years. Dunno when it will return. He makes an awfully sexy bloke, too, though I can't say I don't miss the makeup!