Not skirts, but fashion for sure ... nails again

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Not skirts, but fashion for sure ... nails again

Post by MtnBiker »

One of my favorite blogs has addressed the men-wearing-nail-polish issue.

You may find article, or the comments to be interesting. Feel to comment as well...

http://dethroner.com/2007/07/16/ask-det ... nailpolish
Departed Member

Re: Not skirts, but fashion for sure ... nails again

Post by Departed Member »

MtnBiker wrote:You may find article, or the comments to be interesting. Feel to comment as well...
Having read some of the ensuing diatribe, my only reaction is, "Something to be avoid being associated with, at all costs!"

Having said that, some time ago, I was 'egged on' by the lasses at work to 'give it a go' (they had some wacky, 'transfer'-style logos!). From a physical point of view, it is/was actually beneficial for the fabric of the nails - but - my other half went 'ballistic'! :evil: A step too far! :shock: Tried getting some of the clear stuff (I don't want to look 'pretty' - just to stop my nails breaking up), but to no avail.

So no, if it's "Punk", if it's "Goth", it's OK, but that's as far as it goes. You might just as well, "wear yer knickers on yer 'ed!", as far as general acceptance is concerned. :(
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Occasionally I polish my toenails in subtle shades not far off natural. One might not even notice it except for the sheen. Don't know why but I like it.
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
trainman
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, Land Down Under!

Post by trainman »

I have painted my nails on may occasions. Usually purple, but I have been known to wear electric blua and pink even. I do get comments and looks, but I'm rather goth to begin with, so it's nothing new.
Trainman is...

...Geek in Goth clothing!
trainman

Post by trainman »

And for those wondering what you can do with nails...
Trainman is...

MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

Awesome! I love having painted nails! I don't have a feminine looking bit on me, so there's no mistaking that I'm simply a guy who has polish on his nails. To be honest, I like the polished nails even more than wearing unbifurcated clothing.

A mainstream blog covered this topic not long ago:
http://dethroner.com/2007/07/16/ask-det ... ailpolish/

Also, here is some cool nail polish made with men in mind (my wife did my toes with this just yesterday):
http://www.manglaze.com/
trainman

Post by trainman »

Yeah, I read the blog... Very funny how small minded some people are!

The worst I get at work is looks, and I quite often get positive comments from women (surprisingly not many sarcastic ones). I've only my nails buffed at the moment, but I have a new shade of aqua I'm going to try out next week. I'm also interested in trying the small transfers idea, something like a single red rose on a black thumb nail sounds good.
Trainman is...

ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

No pics, sorry

Post by ChrisM »

No pictures I'm afraid, but I have been very pleased with hot-rod flames painted on my nails. It's fun, and even a "guy" look.

Chris
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

HEY SATIRIST... WHERE ARE YOU?

I always thought he was the resident expert on nails around here; for those who remember him.

Any guy who can keep his nails manicured and healthy like he does while working as a machinist has to know a bit more than me about fingernails!

I happened upon a male nurse at work the other day sporting painted toenails.

I asked his wife who paints them and she replied they both do.

We have another male nurse who goes about at work with painted fingernails, strings of beaded necklaces and a piercing in his eyebrow.
Now, mind you, this is at a catholic hospital and he is one of our head nurses.

He's well liked and a very competent and experienced nurse.
He also keeps at me to paint my nails also.
Seems to like the copper/metallic colors also.

I've done my toenails... even had a pedicure last year... and since I wear sandals all the time, I'm kinda public about it. I don't do it very often though.

I have also done my fingernails a few times.
Trouble is, I play stringed instruments and I need to keep my lefthand nails short.
To balance things out, I tend to keep my righthand nails short also because I don't pick with my nails, say, like a classical guitarist might.
WSmac
Emerald Witch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Emerald Witch »

I think it's mind-boggling that anyone can keep their nails polished at all. I certainly can't. Even if I didn't have the admittedly awful habit of biting my nails (sometimes I can control myself if I keep them carefully filed and buffed smooth) I still just CAN'T maintain a decent coat of polish.

It seems only a day or two and the paint is chipping, peeling and generally looking run-down. Which encourages me to nibble at it, or pick at it, and of course ruins the whole look even faster.

Sigh. maybe someday I'll go get a magnificent professional French manicure Gel-nail set done, and my hands will be as elegant as the rest of me! (When I can afford it!)
trainman

Post by trainman »

Emerald Witch wrote:I think it's mind-boggling that anyone can keep their nails polished at all. I certainly can't. Even if I didn't have the admittedly awful habit of biting my nails (sometimes I can control myself if I keep them carefully filed and buffed smooth) I still just CAN'T maintain a decent coat of polish.

It seems only a day or two and the paint is chipping, peeling and generally looking run-down. Which encourages me to nibble at it, or pick at it, and of course ruins the whole look even faster.

Sigh. maybe someday I'll go get a magnificent professional French manicure Gel-nail set done, and my hands will be as elegant as the rest of me! (When I can afford it!)
Yes, it's hard! I also have a bad habit of biting my nails, part of the side benefit of painted nails, they taste disgusting, making it easier to stop myself from biting them!

As for longevity, well yeah, a reapplication is usually needed every 3-4 days for the best looking nails. I find I need to do it even more often sometimes, as I usually find they wear pretty fast at work.
Trainman is...

crfriend
Master Barista

Nail biters....

Post by crfriend »

trainman wrote:I also have a bad habit of biting my nails, part of the side benefit of painted nails, they taste disgusting, making it easier to stop myself from biting them!
A long long time ago my parents tried dissuading me from biting my nails by coating them with Tabasco (hot pepper) sauce. It didn't work; not only do I bite my nails to this day (yes, I know it's a bad habit) but I also have a strong affinity for spicy food!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Everything you need to remember in order to be a plumber:
1) Water runs downhill.
2) Cold on right, hot on left.
3) Don't chew your fingernails.

Clearly, Carl, you are not a plumber! :)

Sasq

Hunter/Garcia
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Everything you need to remember in order to be a plumber:
1) Water runs downhill.
2) Cold on right, hot on left.
3) Don't chew your fingernails.

Clearly, Carl, you are not a plumber! :)

Sasq

Hunter/Garcia