Sandals make you gay

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Saturna

Post by Saturna »

Wow..

Well I live in a city where more people wear sandals than not. They don't get called gay here, they get called hippies. It's not just the huge hippie population that wears them here though..It's everyone from businessman to frat boys and whoever. It doesn't even matter if they are real Birkenstocks or not.

I'll tell you what strikes me odd pretty much every day is the most common outfit I see on guys in nice weather is sandals, a button up shirt (or t-shirt), and the big baggy khaki slack-like shorts that go down to or maybe just below the knee. This is 80-90% of the male population I see in my area.

You DO get called gay, or fag, for wearing a kilt around here, or anything that looks different from what's currently on sale at the nearest department store.

So I always think as I see all these guys just how silly it is. They are practically wearing skirts already. I can see as the crotches hang lower and the shorts become so baggy you can hardly make out the bifurcation, that they are begging to wear skirts.s. Their heart and soul are crying for it, but they don't know. How sad that they are so confined by these bizarre neo-archaic taboos that make no sense.

So alas, they continue to wear their big baggy shorts while spouting hate at others who are brave enough to disregard outmoded societal conventions while they secretly long to free themselves from the prison of the status quo.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Milfmog wrote:Merlin,

Birkenstocks have a website here.

Like you I only heard of Birkenstocks fairly recently.
Ah! So we're talking 'chunky flip-flops', then? :) I can see how they might not be suitable in an industrial environment, but I cannot, for the life of me, see a homosexual connotation! Anybody who can, must be "two sandwiches short of a picnic"! :think:
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

I like Birks. Wore them almost exclusively from 1980 to 2002. After I hit my mid forties I started to develop plantar fasciitis, and now Achilles tendonitis, and needed shoes with more heel to shift weight to the ball of my foot and stop stretching a too-short tendon. Now I like Bastaad and Tessa Scandanavian clogs with wooden soles - elevates my heels. Also because they are very rare around here, very different. But mostly I wear running shoes.
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

I like Birks. Wore them almost exclusively from 1980 to 2002, clogs and sandals. After I hit my mid forties I started to develop plantar fasciitis, and now Achilles tendonitis, and needed shoes with more heel to shift weight to the ball of my foot and stop stretching a too-short tendon. Now I like Bastaad and Tessa Scandanavian clogs with wooden soles - elevates my heels. Also because they are very rare around here, very different. But mostly I wear running shoes.
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Sandals are normal wear here in summer and, if you were to tell some of the larger islanders (Samoans, Fijians, Maori etc.) that they were gay due to their footwear, you would probably end up in Intensive care on a life support system. In cooler weather, though, you can tell the academics who wear socks under their sandals. :roll: I must get a Doctorate, then I can do the same
skirtedsailor

Post by skirtedsailor »

I'm a Birkestock wearer almost exclusively and while they are ugly and chunky, they are some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn...hands down. I also wear Dansko clogs in the winter for the same reason...comfort. I never knew footwear choice could determine your sexual orientation. I'll have to tell my wife who wears the men's version of the Rainbow flip flops due to her wide foot that she is a lesbian...