kilt pins

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
iain
Member Extraordinaire

kilt pins

Post by iain »

anyone know of a good source for kilt pins?
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

I get mine in Scotland, and contrary to the official rule, I pin right through since this works better in breezy weather.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Ebay works for me.... :)

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

skirttron wrote:I get mine in Scotland, and contrary to the official rule, I pin right through since this works better in breezy weather.
Official rule :confused: I take it you pin the apron to the underneath part? Makes sense. I've a 21st Century kilt and only put the pin on the apron, just to save the material from getting worn by constant pinning and unpinning.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

My 'posh' one came from Art Pewter Silver Ltd. Excellent variety (but that could be because they made the one I was after!), good quality.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

What's this official rule? I have never seen any guidance on pinning the kilt, through or otherwise. What is the official view then?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Big and Bashful wrote:What's this official rule? I have never seen any guidance on pinning the kilt, through or otherwise. What is the official view then?
I resent the very idea of "official rules" about how to dress, that's only one step away from "guys can't wear skirts". :mad: :mad: :mad:

However, at least two of the kiltmakers websites I have visited over the last few months have said that "traditionally" the pin should only go through the front apron so that the weight of the pin holds the fabric down but the two aprons can still move relative to one another.

Another site credited the "invention" of the kilt pin to Queen Victoria who apparently used a hat pin to reduce the embarrassment of a young soldier on parade one windy day. I can't imagine that she (or her assistant) would have done anything other than pin both aprons together.

I guess it's a case of whatever floats your boat...

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Milfmog,
Calm yourself old bean, I didn't mean to allude to suggest the merest hint of a written code of conduct for kilt pins.
I normally pinned through the outer apron myself, but have been know to use the power of the pin to help tame an errant apron in inclement conditions. There's nothing worse than an unruly flap when the wind is up the khyber!
The kilt can be a bit of an attention seeker, a strong breeze and getting in and out of cars or even just walking around a service station has proved to be interesting to say the least. I don't use the pin much because I don't want it to catch and possibly tear the fabric of the kilt. I am just curious to see how other kilterers manage their kilts with the gift of wind in their willows.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

I understand that the pin is only pinned to the top layer. its function is to weight it down and stop it flapping about. if you pin the two layers together, it will likely tear someplace..

but success at last!! we got that "fem shoes for men" thread title off the front page of this site!!
raindog

Post by raindog »

Merlin, do you know where to get Art Pewter silver kilt pins in England? I looked at their website but distributers seemed to all be abroad despite being a UK company.
I've yet to get a kiltpin, but ebay seems to be a big source of them. However they all seem to be a bit 'samey' and not as classy as I like.

Jeff.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Hi Jeff! It came from one of the Scottish Mail Order companies. I'm not sure whether it was Scotch Corner Ltd. of Crieff ([url]http://www.scotch-corner.co.uk)[/url], who I have dealt with before (1999), or someone else... I'll try & find the other delivery note...............
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

By the way, anyone who participated in the Kilt Walk recently in Edinburgh got a free Kilt Pin in the shape of an extended triangle with "Kilt Walk" inscribed on it.

So there are some interesting customisations available from various sources.
raindog

Post by raindog »

Thanks Merlin!
I checked out the 'clans' link on the scotch corner page and they have some kilt pins that look like the silver pewter companies items.
I particularly like the miniature dirk kilt pins...Very nifty:)

Jeff.
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Official Rule on Kilt Pinning

Post by skirttron »

To belatedly reply to those who asked, and based on advice I received from a highland attire shop in Scotland, the official way to use a kilt pin is to pin only through the apron, not to pin through to the layer of fabric underneath. This means the kilt is not pinned closed, but the pin acts as a kind of weight.
I break this rule and pin through to the layer underneath, because it helps prevent the Marylin Monroe effect when it is windy. There are two things to be aware of when pinning through:
1) If you leave the pin in, be careful not to rip your kilt by standing on it when putting it back on.
2) Position the pin by standing as straight as possible while pinning through, otherwise the cloth will pinch up or the pin will be badly positioned.

Neither of these issues apply when pinning just one layer, and of course some other necessities can become a bit easier if you prefer not to do a can-can impersonation when all the cubicles are occupied and you can't wait.