Beard Pride

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Beard Pride

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Anybody noticed that there's ever more pressure for men to be clean shaven?

Anyways who's proud to have facial hair, to be proud to state their manhood etc?
DrWu

Post by DrWu »

It's interesting you should say that. I read a book recently called Lies My Teacher Told Me. It deals with problems in the way history (primarily American history) is taught in the US, including, among others, "heroification," a removal of all ideas whatsoever as causes of events, and what is relevant here, a false sense that progress (toward a more tolerant, freer, etc., society) has been constant and essentially inevitable. As a counterexample, it mentioned exactly this: the pressure on men to shave.

"Americans have so internalized the cultural archetype of progress that by now we have a built-in tendency to assume that we are more tolerant, more sophisticated, more, well, progressive than in the past. Even a trivial illustration -- Abraham Lincoln's beard -- can teach us otherwise. In 1860, a clean-shaven Lincoln won the presidency; in 1864, with a beard, he was reelected. Could that happen nowadays? Today, many institutions, from investment banking firms to Brigham Young University, are closed to white males with facial hair. No white presidential or Supreme Court candidate has ventured even a mustache since Tom Dewey in 1948*. Beards may not in themselves be signs of progress...but we have reached an arresting state of intolerance when the huge Disney corporation, founded by a man with a mustache, will not allow any employee to wear one. On a more profound note, consider that Lincoln was also the last American president who was not a member of a Christian denomination when taking office. Americans may not be becoming more tolerant; we may only think we are."

This book is focused on the US. But I doubt this is only an American problem.

Oh yes. As for myself, I like my face smooth. Facial hair is uncomfortable for me.

*The author writes, in an endnote, "I overlooked the unsuccessful Supreme Court nominee Robert Bork."
Are you crazy? Are you high? Or just an ordinary guy?
bcmtnbka

Post by bcmtnbka »

I am clean shaven not by choice. If I could grow a beard, I would, but I can't.
Raphael

Chinese Blood, Kilted Heart, One United!

Join my Yahoo Kilts Night Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KiltsNight/

My Photo ALbum: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fangfamily

My Blog: http://xingtheline.blogspot.com/
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

bcmtnbka wrote:I am clean shaven not by choice. I wcould grow a beard, I would, but I can't.
work huh? **** it tell them your Muslem then they'd have to let you grow a beard otherwise its discrimination.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

Dr Wu, you're quite right - an insightful post.

I have beard, mustache, long hair, earrings and skirts.

I'd lose the facial hair if I could lose it permanently - I have it as I detest shaving.

If you insert "long hair" instead of "facial hair", you get pretty much the same reaction. I'd never willingly give up my beautiful long hair.

BYU? Run by a Christian cult, what do you expect?
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Thought provoking topic, this!

Not really aware of any pressure in the UK, facial hair or no! I'm quite surprised at the (to me) American male's desire to have beards, long hair, etc., but maybe the influence of "ZZ Top" still overshadows that of the US government(?). I would have to say that I do not regard beards as anything other than an attempt to give an 'impression' of masculinity, rather that an assertion of it. Please don't 'jump up and down', if you're bearded (or whatever!). My most trusted friend has invariably sported one for as long as I've known him, but so have the least trusted acquaintances........! I've long ago learnt that blokes' reasons for wearing a beard are as wide and varied as the 'beard by age group' statistics! As for Christians, don't they usually depict their deities as fully bearded? Shouldn't they (on that basis) emulate them? Certainly, of the few remaining christians I still know, most have a degree of facial hair.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

merlin wrote:I would have to say that I do not regard beards as anything other than an attempt to give an 'impression' of masculinity, rather that an assertion of it.
Hmmmm..... [struggling to avoid jumping down throat :) ] My reasons for growing a beard in the first place were:
1) I travelled everywhere on a motorbike and freshly shaved skin was often sore in cold weather.
2) I was only 20 but frequently visited engineers far older and more experienced and had to tell them that they were in danger of certifying equipment as safe without performing the tests correctly (They knew more about the structures but I understood the test equipment and how to use it reliably) As a "mere babe in arms" I really had to struggle to get them to listen to me. The beard made me look older (25!) and helped a bit.

Now however I keep the beard because I got to like it, as does my wife. I did take it off a few years ago but the next morning I struggled into the bathroom, looked in the mirror and screamed; was that really what I looked like? No wonder I grew the beard :) :)

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

DrWu wrote:I read a book recently called Lies My Teacher Told Me.
Love that book, it is far more educational than the history textbooks it reviews. Back on beards, I wonder when the phrase clean-shaven came about. While it might apply to freshly shaven faces as opposed to shaved but stubbly later in the day, it is a prejudicial term. There is nothing unclean about cared for beards and they get the same bad rap in society as long scalp hair on men, same dirty hippie connotations.

Quiet Mouse
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

Since even Ancient Romans shaved, there has to be a good reason, because shaving would be a real hassle out at the barbarian frontier with just a sharpened bronze edge to do it with, and when you're expecting the boss to arrive to decimate your legion for losing a battle.
My reason for shaving is quite simple: if I don't shave I feel like an unwashed furred animal. I also shave under my arms, and if my wife did not object (she does, though) I would shave my legs and chest too.
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

skirttron wrote:...if my wife did not object (she does, though) I would shave my legs and chest too.
Whenever I have to get an EKG, the preparation involves shaving my chest. I kinda like the look, my wife is ambivalent about it, but the itching is insane.

On the other hand, being a cyclist, I have long shaved my legs. I love it. My wife loves it too. She really likes the look and feel. I usually let it grow in during the winter, but come spring time -- that first day of shaving, maybe a pair of silk trousers .... simply can not be beat. Highly recommended.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

If you really don't like the (leg) shaving after effects, you could be really desperate and try an Australian product (obtainable in the UK) called "Hair No More". It uses a removal cream, followed by a spray inhibitor. Much less 'itchy'! However,95% of the hair on my shins has never grown back, so be warned! As a cyclist, I'm not bothered, no leg-hair means scrapes & falls don't scar anywhere nearly as badly as injuries to hairy legs do!