why are the so comphy

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Tim Stannard

Pantyhose or Tights as we Brits call them

Post by Tim Stannard »

I frequently wear what we Brits call tights and the Yanks call pantyhose.
Either Comfilon or some of the range from legwear4men in Liverpool
Anything that is long in the leg.

Reason? simply warmth and yes, Comfort. I find in the colder months I need that extra layer and having tried conventional thermal underwear I decided that tights were better as they are cheaper, fit better and far less bulky under jeans.

Yeah, thats right,, I said Jeans. as when I am working on site, I need to wear jeans.

I understand that some guys might not like them, but there you are! just a matter of choice, a bit like skirts or Kilts really, each to their own taste.
All I can say is they work for me.

A suprising amount of men wear them over here, not many will admit it though. Motor bikers, Builders and even Policemen wear them. Although we don't have the advantage that the S.A.S. or US army have of getting them on issue.

I accept that for some they are uncomfortable, but that is often because they have the wrong size, either bought from a shop without checking the size or borrowed from the female partner, My wife happens to be about 5ft tall, so her tights would leave the crutch somewhere around my knees,
I know, cos I have tried!
While I was sitting and reading,
a thought just entered my head,
If I can't wear a skirt while I'm living,
I certainly can't when I'm dead!
crfriend
Master Barista

Legwear in a functional setting

Post by crfriend »

Tim Stannard wrote:I frequently wear what we Brits call tights and the Yanks call pantyhose. [...]

Reason? simply warmth and yes, Comfort. I find in the colder months I need that extra layer and having tried conventional thermal underwear I decided that tights were better as they are cheaper, fit better and far less bulky under jeans.
I'll be happy to second those thoughts. I've gone over to wearing tights (US meaning) almost full-time in the winter months. They provide just enough extra warmth, and none of the bulk that all-up long underwear entails; further, they provide some support for my legs as well. Oh, and yes, I find them quite comfortable. I don't wear pantyhose all that often unless I'm trying for a very dressy, almost formal look; I'm too much of a kltuz and they don't take too well to getting snagged on the things I inevitably bump into/scrape across.

Jeans? I can't stand the things. It's like crossdressing.... But, to each his own!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Bravehearts.us
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bravehearts.us »

No panty hose for me thanks. All that flat hair looks ridiculous! And after the one Halloween party where I shaved my legs and went through that horrible itching afterwards….NEVER AGAIN! I’ll stick to my customized tights in the winter.
Lar
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

One step further

Post by ChrisM »

The drawback to tights is of course the, err, tightness of them. After all, most of here espouse enjoyment of the 'freedom' of a skirt, so why would we embrace scrunching all the bits up in a tight undergarment?

From that logic, I have found that I am more often wearing a suspender belt and stockings. This way the legs get the benefit of support and warmth, while 'the bits' get to remain free.

Most stockings that are sold for use with a suspender belt are quite sheer and are supposed to be 'sexy' and are also rather expensive. So I buy tights, heavier in weight, and a small fraction of the cost, and I cut the legs off. I then use the legs as stockings.

Best of both worlds - warmth and freedom.

It does, I hasten to admit, look a bit kinky in the mirror in the bathroom while dressing. You might not want to wear them to the doctor's exam. <smile>

Chris
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

suspenders

Post by knickerless »

I have worn suspenders in the past and must admit I too have noticed the kinkyness while getting dressed. It usually easier to put your supender belt and stockings on before you put your knickers on. I know there is a way of putting your knickers on first and then poking the suspenders through the legs one at time , but it is too fiddly. So there ypu are wandering the around the house in stockings and suspenders with your willy swinging merrily about free and easy. It is when you see yourself in the mirror the vision of kinkyness comes in sight. I would imagine you would look even kinkier if you had your shoes or boots on as well.

Nick
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

Post by knickerless »

Just one other thing about suspender belts beware they can give you a false sense of security. They fit tight around your waist and upper hips and can give you the impression that you are wearing knickers even you are not. I have on one occasion put on stocking and suspenders and put on a straight skirt and went out in a hurry and got into my car. It was only as I sat down and looked down did I realise that I was not wearing any knickers.

Nick
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

Back in 1978 when I was stationed at Ft. Benning, Georgia for Airborne training (jumping out of airplanes for the U.S.Army), we had a cold spell come through.

The school 'Black Hats' (like Drill Sgts. but just for the Airborne), built fires in 55 gallon drums for us to warm up at and anyone with a history of frostbite was allowed to go inside during training if their fingers or toes got cold.

ON TO THE PANTYHOSE STORY...

While warming up at one of the fires, one of the Black Hats made the comment that he was wearing pantyhose and we should look into it (not his pantyhose, but buying them for ourselves :rolleyes: ).
He said they helped keep him warmer.

This was also around the time when football (American) legend Joe Namath was appearing in advertisements wearing pantyhose. EEEEEEWWWWW (that's the sound of millions of college-aged girls on the internet becoming sick at the thought of it... :D ).

I've tried to wear them under my scrubs and the skirt I purchased from Thailand recently.
The outer clothing STICKS too much to the panty hose for me.
(I don't shave my legs... I epilate :eek: )
I have never found pantyhose or silk garments able to keep me warm, as some people claim.
WSmac
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Last Christmas the local 'stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap' supermarket (Lidl) posted a flyer through the door, advertising, among other things, 'suspender tights' i.e. tights with a huge piece cut out of the crotch. I went down to get some but either they'd sold out or never had any in the first place.

These particular tights sound like a good compromise between real tights and stockings, but I haven't seen them advertised in any of the mainstream shops. Perhaps I'll try Ann Summers (high street s*x shop) :covereyes: :eek: :censored: :yummy: :wink2: :shifty:

I wear tights in the winter, under kilts and trousers, and would be interested to try this 'halfway house'.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

I've tried 'em

Post by ChrisM »

I've tried 'em (suspender tights). They work as you'd expect.

One unexpected feature was the difficulty you can have in untangling them...it's remarkable the variety of topologies that they can get into, with one leg around the opposite suspender and this bit inside out while that bit is back to front.... <smile>

On the other hand, you are stuck with their size. As with normal tights, they are not adjustable in length. A 'proper' suspender belt is adjustable, so it's easier to adapt the legging to the leg...especially for those of us over 6 foot.

Bottom line: Yeah, keep your eye out for the next such sale and pounce on a few pair.

Chris M.
Bravehearts.us
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bravehearts.us »

ChrisM wrote:The drawback to tights is of course the, err, tightness of them.
Chris
Not if you wear the kind I wear.:)
Feiyral

Post by Feiyral »

WSmac wrote:Back in 1978 when I was stationed at Ft. Benning, Georgia for Airborne training (jumping out of airplanes for the U.S.Army), we had a cold spell come through.
Out of curiosity, define "cold spell"? How cold? :cool: