Gender semantics

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Miket

Gender semantics

Post by Miket »

Having worked in a girls school, where it was customary for the girls to call each other "guys" despite the obvious gender discrepancy, I am currently performing in an amateur production of "My Fair Lady" locally.

Although this does not give me any opportunity to don a frock as I have been known to do in pantomime, or to wear a skirt or kilt, as I would desparately like to do in this heat, I was amused the other night when one of the female chorus ( playing the parts of maids in the household of Henry Higgins) suddenly asked where her "fellow maids" were. It occured to me that this was contradictory - but for the life of me I couldnt find an alternative phrase, or should I assume "fellow" has also lost any gender distinction. Any suggestions?
Steven

Post by Steven »

In that context "fellow" does not mean the same thing, it's more like "cohorts", "other", "friend", etc.

Steven
People should fear the people that fear me - "The Fifth Edge"
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

It does sound rather strange, I agree. But if you're on a train/bus/plane, you're there with your "fellow travellers", regardless of (their) gender(s)!
Jock
Distinguished Member

Post by Jock »

Nothing wrong with "fellow maids", I agree with the 2 replies above but "you fellows" is still male IMHO. So 'fellow' might be regarded as contextually gender assigned.

What happens if the girls school put on a production of "Guys and Dolls"? Does it become "Guys and Guys"??

I can mebbee cope with a mixed goup being called guys but all girls - no way man!
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Semantics is correct

Post by Since1982 »

The term "Fellow" by itself is another word to describe a male person. However, when used in the context of "fellowship" it's a completely different word. In this context, "fellow maids" is perfectly correct and not in any way only male. Just as "fellow steelworkers" is correct or "fellow transvestites" or "fellow anythings". This usage infers a "friends" thing. Some of the same thinking persons are practicing fellowship so they are fellows in whatever they are doing and not neccessarily male or female. Typically, members of political or lodge type organizations are fellows in the context of being "together" in something. Like all members of the "Elks" are in fellowship, whether they are male or female. They are considered to be "fellows" in the lodge or political party. I hope this clarifies fellowship/fellows for the fellowship of SkirtCafe. (which are not all males) :whiteflag :bouncy:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Steven

Post by Steven »

I was thinking on my way home about this post, and thought,

If a female fell overboard from a ship, would they yell "Woman overboard!"?

Steven
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

COB not MOB

Post by ChrisM »

Indeed, "Man Overboard" is no longer the proper term in American yachting. It has been replaced by "Crew Overboard."

Although most GPS units still have a button marked "MOB" not "COB", and most marker spars and associated kit are still call MOB Poles.

Chris
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

ChrisM wrote:Indeed, "Man Overboard" is no longer the proper term in American yachting. It has been replaced by "Crew Overboard."

Although most GPS units still have a button marked "MOB" not "COB", and most marker spars and associated kit are still call MOB Poles.

Chris
What if it's a passenger? :think:
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Cob

Post by Since1982 »

When we get so bored we start talking about COBs we need a new subject.

Lets see now, Crew Overboard is COB, since Overboard is one word why not just CO? and the old one should have been MO..if a passenger, perhaps PO or POB, or just plain "SUMBUDDY FELL OVERBOARD" Would a dog be DOB? or would that get confused with Daughter OverBoard? Then of course a son that fell over would be a SOB...NOW we're getting somewhere..for that last definition I give myself the :clap:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Steven

Post by Steven »

:spin:

Steven (who finaly made it back on the ice yesterday)