women=men?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Jock
Distinguished Member

women=men?

Post by Jock »

I was walking through town today and a woman near me called tae her two children "Come on Guys!". Nothing unusual? Well the two "guys" were actually girls. This is not the first time I've heard a female parent address her daughters as "guys".
Now I know that for some time (thanks to our American cousins) that "guys" has been used for a group of assorted people, but now it seems that a "guy" is any person. So what is a Gal or a Doll? Can you imagine a father calling to his two sons "C'mon you Gals"???

Tae me this is just one more instance of society where men and women are not just equal (which is fair enough) but ARE THE SAME!! (feminist logic)

However, as we see a lot, it's a one way street. Men are actively discouraged from venturing into what is considered a woman's domain (skirts, makeup, consoling distressed childen in the street, etc.). Women are encouraged to dress, act, and be men.

Perhaps we can make a start by shunning the word "Guy" and use some appropriate male only word.

Come on boys, lets here from ye!
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
Jock
Distinguished Member

women=men?

Post by Jock »

I was walking through town today and a woman near me called tae her two children "Come on Guys!". Nothing unusual? Well the two "guys" were actually girls. This is not the first time I've heard a female parent address her daughters as "guys".
Now I know that for some time (thanks to our American cousins) that "guys" has been used for a group of assorted people, but now it seems that a "guy" is any person. So what is a Gal or a Doll? Can you imagine a father calling to his two sons "C'mon you Gals"???

Tae me this is just one more instance of society where men and women are not just equal (which is fair enough) but ARE THE SAME!! (feminist logic)

However, as we see a lot, it's a one way street. Men are actively discouraged from venturing into what is considered a woman's domain (skirts, makeup, consoling distressed childen in the street, etc.). Women are encouraged to dress, act, and be men.

Perhaps we can make a start by shunning the word "Guy" and use some appropriate male only word.

Come on boys, lets hear from ye!
Jock MacHinery
===========
Rogon

Post by Rogon »

Sorry, Jack. But I prefer 'SWEETIE" :dance:

Rogon
kiltlovinglass

I /= You

Post by kiltlovinglass »

Jock wrote:I was walking through town today and a woman near me called tae her two children "Come on Guys!". Nothing unusual? Well the two "guys" were actually girls. This is not the first time I've heard a female parent address her daughters as "guys".

I think it's something people just don't think about. But I don't think that it's because women are the same as men at all. It's just a usage that has slipped in, but society doesn't assimilate women into men, they haven't become just another 'sub-species' of male. Women are still women.
Jock wrote: Come on boys, lets hear from ye!
Then again, I don't know if you wanted my opinion in the first place...
Down with Pants! Up with Kilts!
Jock
Distinguished Member

Post by Jock »

kiltlovinglass wrote:Then again, I don't know if you wanted my opinion in the first place...
Aye but I do lassie. Boys =guys=people, ye ken ;)

but I still want tae know why women are taking on male attributes (e.g. "guys", pants, macho behavior) but it doesnae go the other way.

Is the recent fashion of male shaven heads a cry from men that this is perhaps one thing left uniquely to them? It is strange to me that the one thing that men can do that women can't, i.e. grow a mustache, is not much more popular with men.

Anyway, I've just rented "Guys and Dolls" from the video store. Should be fun :)

Hae yersel a guid day!
Jock MacHinery
===========
Foppy

Post by Foppy »

Jock wrote:Aye but I do lassie. Boys =guys=people, ye ken ;)

but I still want tae know why women are taking on male attributes (e.g. "guys", pants, macho behavior) but it doesnae go the other way.

Is the recent fashion of male shaven heads a cry from men that this is perhaps one thing left uniquely to them? It is strange to me that the one thing that men can do that women can't, i.e. grow a mustache, is not much more popular with men.
I've had some kind of facial hair every day since the beginning of last summer, when I grew a moustache. Then I shaved that (so I guess technically for a few days I was clean-shaven) and grew it back, but with a goatee, and then in Winter I just stopped shaving my face altogether. And now, the beard's coming off in 5 days, and I'm just going to keep a "soul patch".

Experimenting with different beard styles is something I haven't gotten tired of yet. I think most men look better with some kind of facial hair.
Eagle 95

Post by Eagle 95 »

I know one thing, my grandpa had a full beard, and my uncles all sport either mustaches or beards of some sort. almost all of the younger men in my family that are able to grow facial hair, myself included, either have mustaches or some type of beard (right now, I have a mustache and stubble). heck, the only one of us who's clean-shaven is in the Air Force.
Personally, I know I need a mustache at the very least, as without it I look like a Sammy Sosa ripoff :D but I tend to let the beard grow longer than I should, to the point where my mom, grandma and one aunt all tell me I look like an old man :tomato: so there's a line there, but I usually prefer having at least some whiskers :)
You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace
-Ernie Banks
:( Rest in Peace Quadrevion Henning and Purvis Virginia Parker
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Designer stubble?

Post by Charlie »

Jock wrote:Is the recent fashion of male shaven heads a cry from men that this is perhaps one thing left uniquely to them? It is strange to me that the one thing that men can do that women can't, i.e. grow a mustache, is not much more popular with men.
In many TV adverts where there is a man and a woman, the man is usually unshaven. I think they call it designer stubble, but it just looks scruffy. I imagine its to make the man look like a macho caveman (but caring) type of guy.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
W.M.

Fyi

Post by W.M. »

I don't know if this is still true, but in the Navy, aren't women referred to as 'Sir' or 'Mister'? I learned this because one day I was watching Star Trek II the Wrath of Kahn and Savvik (Spock's female protege) was addressed as 'Mister Savvik'. I thought that was strange until I did some research into this and found out about the Naval tradition.

Does anyone here know anything about more this?
Walter Humbel
(W. M.)
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

A Few Good Men

Post by Since1982 »

I don't know for sure either but, in the movie "A Few Good Men" with Demi Moore and Tom Cruise, both Tom and Demi's characters played Naval Law officers investigating a Marine Corps Commander played by Jack Nicholson and all the officers both Naval and Marines (The Marines are a sub-service of the US Navy) referred to Demi Moore's character as Ma'am, never Mister or Sir, her character was a Commander ranked law officer. Maybe this will help. Most of the big time hollywood movies do their research completely before starting filming. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Will

Post by Will »

Since1982 wrote:I don't know for sure either but, in the movie "A Few Good Men" with Demi Moore and Tom Cruise, both Tom and Demi's characters played Naval Law officers investigating a Marine Corps Commander played by Jack Nicholson and all the officers both Naval and Marines (The Marines are a sub-service of the US Navy) referred to Demi Moore's character as Ma'am, never Mister or Sir, her character was a Commander ranked law officer. Maybe this will help. Most of the big time hollywood movies do their research completely before starting filming. :)
I think the Mr. Savik is just a Star Trek think. Current US Navy practice is to use Ma'am. I think most female officers would take it as an insult if they were called Sir.
trainman
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, Land Down Under!

Post by trainman »

Star trek is the odd one out. Not sure about the US, but the Australian forces still use sir and ma'am.
Trainman is...

...Geek in Goth clothing!
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

"Guys!" Yeuk! How can any self-respecting girl/lady abide to be referred to as "Guys!" I just think that this is another ploy of the Feminazis to re-create womenfolk as 'second class' men! I don't know if that is just 'British-ness', but I've too much respect for my wife, lady friends, etc. to refer to them as "Guys!"
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

but, look--if you're facing a group of men and women at some casual event and you wish to alert them all to the possibility of missing an imminently departing form of transport lest they do not hurry along, wouldn't it be better to say "c'mon guys! we're gonna miss the train!!"

rather than:

"do accelerate your progress, gentlemen AND those of a feminine persuasion who I shall indicate with precision using the term LAYDEEEEZZ rather than leave room for ambiguity and misinterpretation of my intention that I might consider them as parts of the masculine gender, the aforementioned group of which I have already beckoned hither with an earlier exhortation to.."

then the last train puffs out of the station and disappears over the horizon before you can finish, and as a result everyone shouts at you and aims kicks at your nether regions, yea, even the gentle ladies, I fear..

a sad tale indeed. but one which, alas, is all too frequently played out in the streets of our fair lands.
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Rather than indulging in cordial felicitations or attempting to segregrate the bunch of tardy muppets into whatever gender roles they have been lumped with/chosen by whatever diety they choose to believe in, I would settle for:
"Ho youse! (or regional equivalent (for info, that is my sad version of a scottish hailing call from the central belt)), the trains going". That is easy and achieves the desired result. Of course if you feel the brevity of that call is excessive you can easily pad it out with the local vernacular and even spice it up with an expletive or two. :)
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!