Hair, Hair, Hair, Hair, Hairrrrrr

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Hair, Hair, Hair, Hair, Hairrrrrr

Post by Since1982 »

Down to there, down to here, down to where it stops by itself!!!

I'm growing my hair back out from a shaved head. I, at 64 years old still have about 90% of my blond hair intact, a bit of gray at the temples and that's about it for "old man looking" hair. I'm letting it grow everywhere with no trimming at all, long in the front, sides and back, parted in the middle now and long enough to touch my mouth in the front, way over my ears on the sides and down to my upper shoulders in the back. I plan to let it grow down to mid back like I had it for 40 years until my mom died in 1999 and I cut it all off while depressed in mourning.

Anyone else have long hair or are considering growing some?? :stir:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
DanR

Post by DanR »

When my hair grew back in after going through a couple rounds of chemotherapy back in the late 80's, early 90's, it came back in with my grandfather's pattern: the old horseshoe haircut. There was only one recourse: shave it. It's been that way ever since.
Dan Richardson
The CitySkirt Company
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Got upper-back length hair right now. Going for butt-length... Been somewhat of a constant battle with the family, but... I always have reverted to long hair even after they've had it butchered. That said, this time around, no one has bugged me about it.
-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Horseshoe haircut????

Post by Since1982 »

What's a horseshoe haircut? They hit you with a horseshoe to make you sit still in the barber chair????:wall: :whistle: :tomato: :crazy: ~party~ :hissyfit:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Hair, Hair, Hair, Hair, Hairrrrrr

Post by crfriend »

Originally posted by Since1982
Anyone else have long hair or are considering growing some?? :stir:

I've got waist-length hair, and love it. I'm what might be known as a "born longhair". Take a gander at
http://the-light.com/longhair/ for a look at what good locks can do for a bloke!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Eagle 95

Post by Eagle 95 »

heh, I've butted heads with my family about my hair every now and then:D They hate the fro, but I can't hack it all off because my head's huge. Heh, I might try hacking it all off, my hair tends to grow back fast. I would grow it into a true afro, but I like hats too much, and my head's hugeness already presents problems when I shop for hats.
You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace
-Ernie Banks
:( Rest in Peace Quadrevion Henning and Purvis Virginia Parker
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

I had shoulder length hair when I played in a band in the mid to late '70s and then cut it much shorter when I moved to Tucson AZ [too hot in the summer!]. About 2 years ago, I decided to let it grow and not cut it. Now, pulled back into a ponytail, it's about 9.5" and getting longer. Luckily, I've got a job [pipe organ technician] where hair length isn't an issue. My boss, parents, and partner are all cool with it. As far as I'm concerned, the longer, the better! The attached pic was taken a few years ago during one of my 'grow-it-long-and-cut-it' phases. It's much longer now.

--Rick

P.S. I tried attaching the pic but it doesn't seem to work...
trainman
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, Land Down Under!

Post by trainman »

After having my head shaved for about 10 years, this year I decided to grow it long an by long, I mean I'm not cutting it for anyone. At the moment it's just reached my shoulders, but my hair is extremely wavy, so it's probably longer, I just don't notice.
Trainman is...

...Geek in Goth clothing!
Foppy

Post by Foppy »

I plan on growing my hair down to my waist. I've got about two year's progress going already, and I'd estimate it'll take another three to reach my belt line.

I do a lot of physical work though, so I usually keep it restrained in a ponytail, braid, or bun.

I've also decided to let my beard grow out for the winter (I had a "Van Dyck" goatee up through fall). So, three days ago I took the batteries out of my razor, gave it a good cleaning, and put it up on the shelf. It isn't going to see much use anytime soon. ;)
Feiyral

Post by Feiyral »

I have longish hair, about halfway down my back perhaps. It's an unexciting brown color with a very slight natural ripple. It's also extremely fine and wispy, which becomes a problem sometimes because it doesn't always want to be bound into a ponytail. I only rarely leave it loose, and never in public. A simple center part makes it easy to maintain.

The down sides are two things. Firstly, I have a fairly round face and delicate features. I was mistaken for female a few times before I let my beard and sideburns grow out. Now people just say I look amish. :o Secondly, it's not really ideal in hot weather. With a lot of facial hair and long hair covering the neck, it's fairly easy to get unpleasantly hot.

I do some physical work during the summer, and that mandates tucking my hair inside my shirt due to moving parts. I've tried braiding it which would be safer than having a loose tail since I could easily stuff it under my helmet, but I can't seem to get the trick of it down. My braids always seem to fizzle out about halfway down and it just looks bizarre.

Something unfortunate is that my hair is so fine and fragile that, unless I spend half an hour brushing it with microscopic movements, it tends to break off a fair amount. I simply don't have that amount of patience to invest every time it needs brushing. So it's been at mid-back length for quite a while without trimming and the end isn't very even.

In private moments sometimes I like to play with the ponytail, just to feel the smooth and cool of it on my face. Or to spin and have it float around. Or "hide" behind my hair when it's loose, which is a very coy sort of feeling.

My parents were not very excited about me deciding to grow my hair out, but that was many years ago and they don't have a say in the matter anymore. They seem to have accepted that I'm not going to chop it all off. I can't tell whether it's because they really approve, or simply realize that they can't force or persuade me. For everybody else it seems to be a non issue. I've never had any negative comments regarding my hair, once I grew a beard so I didn't look so feminine. I've even had some women say that it was very nice.

Yup. That's enough typing. :)
Foppy

Post by Foppy »

You could try braiding your hair; it's much more secure than a ponytail, and very comfortable.
Steven W

Post by Steven W »

I've got very long hair. It's down about the middle of my back. The last time I had short hair was in high school about 10 years ago. A while back, I tried some sun-in to lighten it up, and it ended up drying it all out. After about 2 years, my hair has finally grown out to the point that all the dried-up split ends and stuff has been cut out. Long hair looks great with a kilt!
Philip

Post by Philip »

Interesting that this was brought up. I am retiring from the Navy this month after 22 years (mostly reserve time) and I am so looking forward to finally getting to grow my hair long. I might even do a goatee. I think if long hair is kept neat and trimmed at the ends, it can look quite manly tied back.
High regards,
Philip
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence upon society. Mark Twain
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Steven W wrote:"... Long hair looks great with a kilt!"
I definitely agree. The last haircut I had was in March of '04 and I much prefer long hair. Lately I've been reading and posting a few messages on the board that crfriend mention earlier in this thread. Very informative. Thanks, crfriend!

I'm playing 2 New Years gigs with 2 different bands. The first one requires me to wear a black tuxedo [hair in ponytail]. No problem. I'll be wearing a UK with the tux shirt and jacket for the second gig, probably with my hair down. Should be a fun night!

Take care, Happy New Year, and a great 2006 to all! ~party~
--Rick
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Down sides

Post by Since1982 »

The only down sides I've experienced growing my hair long are these: Having to wash it more often, (having it short and gelled meant not washing it often as gel cleans your hair without washing), having to brush it at least a dozen times a day unless it's up or in a ponytail, picking loose strands out of food etc. or deciding where to part it as my hair is very thick, I have a low forehead which means it falls over my face if I don't keep pushing it out of the way. Parting it in the middle is easiest but it gives me somewhat of a headache if it lays on my forehead on the right side, so I usually part it on the right side and don't worry much about seeing out of my left eye, 'cause if I do worry about it I'd be brushing or combing it back 100 times a day and that's more trouble than letting it hang over my left eye.

Braiding it is a good idea once it becomes long enough to do so, the only real problem with that is you must do one of two things, remain slender enough to have no problems getting your arms in position to do the braiding or have a helpful S/O like I do to braid it for you. I'm looking forward to when my hair is long enough for her to do that and for her to do my "100 brush strokes" a day for me. She has recently grown hers out to mid back and I brush her hair for her. She just wants to return the favor. (S/O means Significant Other for those that don't already know). One other thing, don't EVER use rubber bands to hold your hair into a ponytail as they will tear your hair out. Regular ponytail bands aren't much better either, I used to be a leather worker when I was young and still know how to make leather goods. One of the best things I can make are leather barrettes to hold a ponytail in place. They consist of a 3'' long by 1'' wide piece of finished leather with a hole punched near each end. A 4'' long wooden dowel is used to go down thru one hole and under your hair and back up thru the other hole with the leather band going across your hair on top. It looks nice and never hurts your hair. You can probably buy them from any leather goods outfit. I, since my hair is blond, prefer the plain natural colored leather for the band, but they can be dyed in black or brown too. Both look great with any hair color. :cool: