What’s happening in Florida?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

What’s happening in Florida?

Post by Ray »

I read that a school head has been forced to resign after a school class was shown a picture of Michaelangelo’s David statue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65071989.amp

What on earth is going on in Florida? How can this happen? I’m astonished.

By the way, the statue is magnificent. I’ve seen it in person in Florence.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What’s happening in Florida?

Post by moonshadow »

Do you really have to ask?

But it doesn't stop at the Florida state line. This kind of thing is catching on like wildfire in all "red" states, and even a good number of "purple" ones.

I honestly wonder what will teachers be allowed to teach in red schools in another ten years??
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Florida is an absolute mess led by a man’s who vindictively governs by actively silencing anything and anyone who do not agree with him. It’s eerily very similar to 1920’s Germany with the brown shirts. He’ll twist words to make it seem like he’s just protecting a parents right to raise their children but only if they raise their children according to his norms.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

ScotL wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:57 am Florida is an absolute mess led by a man’s who vindictively governs by actively silencing anything and anyone who do not agree with him. It’s eerily very similar to 1920’s Germany with the brown shirts. He’ll twist words to make it seem like he’s just protecting a parents right to raise their children but only if they raise their children according to his norms.
Wait until he's the president in a couple years....

Frankly, I'd rather have Trump.

Now if conservatives would actually like to nominate someone who I believe is a decent person who'd actually try to be a leader for ALL Americans (not just conservatives), then I might suggest Glenn Youngkin.... one of the few Republicans that I actually have respect for.

Glenn Youngkin on the GOP ticket, Mark Warner on the Democrat ticket... regardless of won such a race, the country would do well either way.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Ray wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:41 pm I read that a school head has been forced to resign after a school class was shown a picture of Michaelangelo’s David statue.
Technically, it was because the they didn't send out a note to parents warning them that their children would be exposed to a picture of a work of art containing nudity. Totally silly.
Ray wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:41 pm What on earth is going on in Florida?
Ron Defacist has all the crazies on hair-trigger alert for manufactured outrage. It's so tiresome. Sometimes I wish I could leave this state, but I don't know anywhere else that's all that much better.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

FLbreezy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:42 pm Ron Defacist has all the crazies on hair-trigger alert for manufactured outrage. It's so tiresome. Sometimes I wish I could leave this state, but I don't know anywhere else that's all that much better.
Well, I came across a more hopeful article about the use of trans issues in politics..
What voters think

[...]

"So far this year the RedBridge Group has conducted over 70 focus groups, talking to over 600 soft voters for over 100 hours and trans issues has not been raised once. The Liberal Party in Victoria will never be competitive whilst some of its MPs focus on these fringe issues or positions itself on the extremities of debates," Barry said.

[...]

Kos Samaras, another director at RedBridge Group Australia and former Labor strategist, says voters never raise this issue unprompted.

"When prompted their reaction is a mixture of anger and empathy," Samaras said. "Anger at politicians using this as a political football and empathy towards trans Australians who have now become the latest targets of politicians that should instead be focusing on cost of living and the housing attainment crisis."
Ok, so it's not America, and we're not out of the woods. But it appears that not everywhere is infected.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rode_kater wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:15 pmOk, so it's not America, and we're not out of the woods. But it appears that not everywhere is infected.
Put quite honestly, and in congruence with general statistics, trans-* issues are not going to figure prominently in any citizen who does not know someone directly affected. I'm guessing that the RedBridge Group is a trans-* activist group in Oz -- and that's fine, but it does bring the scope into view: it's narrow and very tightly focussed. Most folks are worried about their own futures, fortunes, and possibilities for prosperity -- and there is plenty of reason for worry, especially in the lesser-developed parts of the world.

I'm not downplaying the plight of the trans-* crowd, but as a percentage of the general population it's just very small. Do they deserve our encouragement and support? YES, as human beings they are us, but driving relentlessly at it is going to bore the vast majority of the electorate (if there is such a thing in your vicinity).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:18 am [...]
I'm not downplaying the plight of the trans-* crowd, but as a percentage of the general population it's just very small.
In a recent UK survey it was 0.5% of the population, approximately half being MtF [male-to-female ].  1 in 400 of the population is still quite a lot of people.
Do they deserve our encouragement and support? YES, as human beings they are us, but driving relentlessly at it is going to bore the vast majority of the electorate (if there is such a thing in your vicinity).
Ask yourself who is initiating this relentless driving; is it the general public?  Obviously not, they are fed up with it and don't want to keep hearing about it.  Is it transpeople?  Obviously not, we are also fed up with being constantly used as pawns in other peoples' politics -- but we do react when we are continually attacked.  It is the press and the media who use us as clickbait and the bigoted hate-mongers who keep up a constant stream of anti-trans propaganda to the media.

The situation isn't helped by 'activists' who are just looking for a cause to justify a bit of mayhem and some media exposure.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Regardless of whether the number of trans people is small, or larger than small or if that statistic is even accurate since it’s a hard thing to accurately measure (since one has to admit to being trans on a survey that in the back of their minds may not be anonymous), I feel the impact of trans folks is far greater than their actual presence.

I’m sure they want to just be left alone to be themselves. Not being trans myself, I do not actually know what it’s like. But wanting to be left alone to wear unbifurcated garments does make me also hope they can just be left alone to be themselves. Regardless of their numbers.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

rode_kater wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:15 pm Ok, so it's not America, and we're not out of the woods. But it appears that not everywhere is infected.
I was under the impression that Fox News was balls deep into Australia too, are they not? I'll admit to not following closely.

NZ always seems like a laid-back, sensible place...probably too much of a move to make at this stage in my life.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:07 am I’m sure they want to just be left alone to be themselves. Not being trans myself, I do not actually know what it’s like. But wanting to be left alone to wear unbifurcated garments does make me also hope they can just be left alone to be themselves. Regardless of their numbers.
I almost posted this in News but it's not strictly MIS. It does speak to a feeling I think most of us have felt at times on this journey:

From https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/da ... -desantis
Feeling free to be yourself was a common refrain among those who attended. Kids introduced themselves with their pronouns and wore what clothing they wanted. One student, Aurora, arrived draped in the pansexual flag as if it were a superhero cape, while another senior named William changed into a skirt upon arriving.

“I can’t dress the way I’m dressing now in school. This is my alter ego,” William said. “But I feel like I could just walk around here — like I could run.”
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:43 amAsk yourself who is initiating this relentless driving; is it the general public?  Obviously not, they are fed up with it and don't want to keep hearing about it.  Is it transpeople?  Obviously not, we are also fed up with being constantly used as pawns in other peoples' politics -- but we do react when we are continually attacked.  It is the press and the media who use us as clickbait and the bigoted hate-mongers who keep up a constant stream of anti-trans propaganda to the media.

The situation isn't helped by 'activists' who are just looking for a cause to justify a bit of mayhem and some media exposure.
Offhand, I'd say that your assessment is dead on target -- it's not the directly-affected as they will just want to live their lives unmolested, and it's certainly not the general public who is simply stressed to the limit with trying to keep their heads above water in this crazy world. That leaves "click-bait" and bigots.

Personally, I'm vastly more worried where my next meal is coming from or whether I'll ever have access to health-care in case I need it than I am about who somebody else thinks they are -- that's their problem, and I have more than my share of mine.

Live and let live. With the possible exception of the bigots and predators -- who I would like very much to see "removed from society".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:30 am [...]
I almost posted this in News but it's not strictly MIS. It does speak to a feeling I think most of us have felt at times on this journey:

From https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/da ... -desantis
That is absolutely spot-on.  These children are being persecuted, forced to live miserable lives and even driven to suicide by a bunch of vile bigots who don't care who they hurt -- and by the press and media who feed off them.  There is no need for any of it, just stop interfering with their lives.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:30 am
while another senior named William changed into a skirt upon arriving.

“I can’t dress the way I’m dressing now in school. This is my alter ego,” William said. “But I feel like I could just walk around here — like I could run.”
I love this sentiment. I also feel there are many people in the mob who protest these groups or have signs that say “groomer” as the article states that would also love to be accepted for some “deep dark truth” they hide. Reminds me of the bullies who really just want a friend but don’t know how to do anything but bully cause they are socially inept. Can’t stand the threat of being vulnerable. So they exhibit reaction formation and strongly condemn others who don’t fit the socially accepted mold for a man.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:18 am I'm guessing that the RedBridge Group is a trans-* activist group in Oz -- and that's fine, but it does bring the scope into view: it's narrow and very tightly focussed.
No, they're a research organisation that political parties (on all sides) and businesses pay to find out what people are thinking and how they would react to various situations. As such, they don't have a skin in this fight which makes their statements slightly more plausible than that of activist organisations.

Of course, it helps that it matches what I believe (most people don't care either way).