Caution with Bank Cards

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Caution with Bank Cards

Post by Uncle Al »

I've had 2 experiences where my CC/ATM/DEBIT card info was scammed.
I ALWAYS keep the card(s) in my possession/sight during transactions.

My 3rd experience follows:

This past Tuesday, on my way home from my Lodge Convention, I used my 'Card' three times.
First at a Sonic drive-in for a sandwich and the Second was at an H.E.B. grocery store, which
had a fuel station. My card was not in my sight getting and paying for the sandwich. At the
fuel stop, I inserted the card in the pump. Maybe it had a 'skimmer', I'll never know.
The Third time I used the card was at a Love's truck stop. Had to get a new wiper blade for
my Suburban(dry rot from heat), and a candy bar for energy. (Reese's P-Nut butter cups, if
anyone's interested ;) )

Yesterday, Thursday, I was woke up by a call from my Credit Unions Fraud Department.
The automated system was asking if I made such-n-such charges.

Well, after several phone calls, I'll be getting a new card. My 'over-draft' charges
have been refunded as well as the disputed(fraudulent) charges to my account. This is the
third experience of this kind since mid 1981. It is a gut-wrenching experience when you budget,
to the penny, for this annual trip. I have been advised to use my 'card' as a credit card when
away from home. This way, the 'skimmers' can't get your PIN number. You just enter your Zip
Code for a 'Charge'. I don't know if this will work to protect my banking info, but will give it a
try on my next venture away from home.

ANYWAY, I'm writing about this experience to caution everyone to be careful with using a bank
card, when you're traveling. I don't want you to have to experience the kind of mental trauma
this caused. :blue:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Caution with Bank Cards

Post by r.m.anderson »

There are three types of credit cards in use -
the basic one that you swipe though a reader machine -
the chip one that you insert into the reader machine -
and the new fangled proximity type - flash the card anywhere (close) to the reader machine.

The swiper if vulnerable to the skimming devices
The flash type back your butt up (card in back pocket) to a reader machine and there is awkward slight chance of the transaction being compromised.

The ATMs are fairly foolproof - no proximity - no chip - no skimming - just slide the card in the slot and the internal readers take it from there (Password Pin required)

As Uncle Al notes - DON"T LET THE CARD GET OUT OF SIGHT (watch for the slight of hand movement by the cashier).
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

r.m.anderson wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:51 pm There are three types of credit cards in use -
the basic one that you swipe though a reader machine -
the chip one that you insert into the reader machine -
and the new fangled proximity type - flash the card anywhere (close) to the reader machine.
New fangled? We've been using tapping for payments going on 10 years now. And chips for 20.

But skimming is still possible, but only if you have the magstripe transactions enabled (they're disabled by default). The magstripe is not used inside the EU so you just need to remember to enable it before going on long trips.

The US banking system is way behind the times. Signing for credit card transactions for example, that's been decades ago here (which is why I can barely do my signature).

And there's all the other forms of fraud though, skimming is just the tip of the iceberg. Stay alert!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

r.m.anderson wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:51 pm The flash type back your butt up (card in back pocket) to a reader machine and there is awkward slight chance of the transaction being compromised.
I keep the card in a plastic wallet with a sheet of thin aluminium next to it; no unwanted signals can affect it.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I don’t often carry cards now, as I use Apple Pay. When I do carry them they are in a wallet designed to inhibit external electronic interference. I virtually never use cash, as even the window cleaner now takes electronic payment.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Midas wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:41 amI don’t often carry cards now, as I use Apple Pay.
Must be nice. Many of the places I was at, this past weekend, had signs posted WE DO NOT ACCEPT APPLE PAY OR GOOGLE PAY !
95% of what I needed, I paid cash for it. I have had friends tell me they use their card as a Credit Card so they only punch in their
Zip Code. They only use their 'pin' when getting groceries or cash back.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)