New Technologies

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

New Technologies

Post by Grok »

We seem to be in a time of rapid technological change. I am thinking of a discussion of cutting edge technology in the present, as well as experimental technology over the next few decades.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New Technologies

Post by Grok »

Discussion off alternative paradigms.

Not all of this is theoretical. A few years ago, in Scientific American, there was an article about DNA computing...in an experiment, it was proved that you can compute using DNA, it can be made to work. (Yes, I am referring to the DNA of the genetic code).

As I understand it, the advantage of using organic molecules is enormous parallelism, far beyond our present electronic computers.

Tomorrow, perhaps the kids of today will be making references to "soup ware."

There are other concepts: Quantum computers...optical computers...analog computers. Perhaps the most intriguing would be artificial neural nets.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Space...what might have been.

Philip Bono's vision actually gave rise to a prototype.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Laser weapon-Iron Beam.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Interesting, the impact of technological revolution on your perceptions.

Was rewatching Ice Station Zebra, after many years. Most of the technology seemed fairly modern, except....

Information technology of the period, which now looks archaic. :shock: The same information technology that was around when I was a kid.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

U.S. Navy and lasers.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Tech has come a long way in a short period of time, Most of us carry one device that connects and isolates us at the same time. If ever I'm involved in a text string that is more than 2 messages long my third is "Call me when you can talk". So many endless strings and confusion could be solved with a ten-second phone call.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Retro Telepresence

Post by Grok »

Based on appearance, this could have appeared live on television today.

Carly Simon-Anticipation-1971

An effect combining old technology with the up to date technology of Internet/YouTube. This is the closest we can get to time travel into the past.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Had trouble linking to Carly Simon. Lets try Carole King.

Carole King-So Far Away (BBC In Concert, February 10, 1971)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Well, they won't let me link.

AB the Kreator is another who has noticed this phenomenon. Note when he says "Live from 1977."
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Diane Jennings discusses this phenomenon at 5:30.

Of course, if a video was made decades ago when (now) aging rock stars were in young adulthood, it is easy to imagine it as a new video. With an intentionally retro look, featuring old fashioned clothes and old fashioned hair styles.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The video where Sebs Duran discovers Linda Ronstadt.

Some of these aging rock stars on YouTube had videos made when they were young adults, and other videos made decades later. The young adults reacting on YouTube seem to be focussed on the young adult videos. Maybe because it is easier to relate to people who appear to be in the same age group?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

A comment from the movie Source Code which applies..... ....not so much time travel as time reassignment.

What we are seeing are bits of the past being reassigned to the present. Contradictory, in being different from the past in the ability to include bits of the past in a way that was not an option before.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Of course, what I have been discussing may turn out to have only slight social impact. For young adults, perhaps, an introduction to the pop culture of decades past.

Indeed, a change may have less of an effect than what one might expect. For example, the legalization of marijuana.