Men in skirts in movies and TV

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Men in skirts in movies and TV

Post by mishawakaskirt »

The recent thread on listing your favorite movies got me to thinking about movies with men in skirts.

I'm curious as to how many movies might be out there that might have men in skirts or dresses.

Sadly I know most all of the movies will have a must pass as female mentality.

The three I currently think of all have a must pass mentality

Title year and a very basic,brief description.

Some like it hot (1959)
two men to escape the mob dress and hide as women in a all woman music group.

Tootsie (1982)
A man can't find work in a TV soap opera. But is able to get a role on the show as a female character

Mrs Doubtfire (1993)
A man takes on a role as a elderly Nanny so he can be with his children.

Sorry about my descriptions, they are very spartan

All three are good comedies. And worth a watch if you have
a chance to see them.

All three do do not support the MIS.
As they are reinforce the must pass as female mentality
All men are desperate and at the end of their rope, and trapped, the only way to get to better circumstances is to go feminine.

You guys got any others? Where men put on or wear a skirt.
As a MIS or avoid a bad situation?

Do try to avoid mentioning out right fetish movies, I'm sure there are some of those out there. If it's X rated it doesn't belong here.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men in skirts in movies and TV

Post by Barleymower »

Some like it Hot had a major effect on me as a child. I could watch it 100 times.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:43 pm Some like it Hot had a major effect on me as a child. I could watch it 100 times.
A local arts group had problems with the sound on the films they were showing, so I loaned them some studio-quality monitor loudspeakers and sat in on a performance of Some Like it Hot to check that the problem had been solved.  There were great jumps in sound quality between the dialogue tracks and the musical numbers, which seemed to have been taken from different sources.  I don't know whether the makers of the DVD had copied the dialogue from a bad print of the film because that was the only one available but the musical numbers had come from master tapes, or whether the original film had always been that patchy.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The earliest I remember is Old Mother Riley. I recall watching the films in the late fifties.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

Maybe this isn't off-topic after all.
What if somebody came up with a screenplay about an ordinary bloke
who chooses (after a bit of experimentation) to wear skirts.
Not heels-and-hose, just skirts.
About his interplay with friends, co-workers, bosses, spouse if any,
family if any, otherwise girlfriend(s), clothes-shop staffs, the general public.
This isn't remotely like Tootsie, Mrs. Doubtfire, or Some Like it Hot.
It also is not at all about being gay or straight, transvestite, trans-anything,
although those suggestions inevitably come up amidst this ordinary bloke's
encounters. Along with all our positive discoveries, having to do with comfort.
In other words, a realistic scenario about a slightly non-conformist individual.
I was thinking "Marty" as an example.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

You know, come to think of it, a TV or movie featuring just an ordinary "guy that wears skirts" doesn't come to mind.

Perhaps someone here with some sway could pitch the idea to Hollywood.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:27 am You know, come to think of it, a TV or movie featuring just an ordinary "guy that wears skirts" doesn't come to mind.

Careful. This concept is so foreign that it can cause the average consumer's brain to implode, just by the sheer idea that some guy can put on a skirt without checking any stereotypical labels.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

TSH wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:02 am
moonshadow wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:27 am You know, come to think of it, a TV or movie featuring just an ordinary "guy that wears skirts" doesn't come to mind.

Careful. This concept is so foreign that it can cause the average consumer's brain to implode, just by the sheer idea that some guy can put on a skirt without checking any stereotypical labels.
Admittedly, it would be pretty interesting to see exactly how such a concept would play out in the talk and political pundit circuits...

The left:
So, you're wearing a dress because you're transgender?
No.
Oh, so you're wearing one because you're nonbinary..? I see..
No.
So... you're wearing a... why are you wearing a dress anyway?
'Cause I want to.
So... you're saying that you *don't* identify as a woman?
No... I'm just a guy that likes to wear dresses.

.... oh.

The right:

So, are you wearing a dress because you're one of those delusional transgender "women"?
No.
Oh, so you're a drag queen then?
No.
Well, what about your masculinity?
My masculinity is fine.
So you don't think this will erode our young boys into the woke feminine dogma?
Not my problem.
What do you think this will mean for masculinity in our culture?
Hopefully the same thing that it meant to femininity when women started wearing pants.
So you're wearing a... why are you wearing a dress anyway?
'Cause I want to. I'm just a guy that likes to wear dresses.

.... oh.

:rofl:

Mind blown
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

In both cases.

... mind blown.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

The centre:

You're wearing a dress. Unusual but ok. Now, lets get on with dealing with the world's actual problems rather than made-up ones.

(Though I think what you call left/right is actually more the progressive/conservative axis).

There have been a number of TV series here in NL where guy wears a skirt for one or more episodes. I can't give you any names because nobody gave a sh*t, I didn't watch them (only saw the ads) and it's not easily googlable. Even ChatGPT isn't being especially helpful.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

The sitcom the Conner's had a boy on it don't remember his name or the actors name. He wore skirts in the very first season.
I wasn't able to keep up with the series to see how his character progressed. At least in the first season he was a freestyler. Boy that likes skirts, nothing more.
I'm wondering if he still wearing skirts? Or what they have done with his character?

Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Schitt's Creek (2015-2020)

The character David (Dan Levy) wears skirt-like garments over this pants in some episodes. They are even referred to as "skirts". Dan Levy (the actor) even wore a Thom Brown skirt suit to some award ceremonies. His clothing is a bit "out there" - they are supposed to be a rich family fallen on hard times, clothing is styled in opposition to the "normal townsfolk". So, there's a subtle jab at runway fashion in all their outfits.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:13 pm The sitcom the Conner's had a boy on it don't remember his name or the actors name. He wore skirts in the very first season.
I wasn't able to keep up with the series to see how his character progressed. At least in the first season he was a freestyler. Boy that likes skirts, nothing more.
I'm wondering if he still wearing skirts? Or what they have done with his character?
I've only seen bits and pieces, but it seems that reboot struggled to get any serious viewership after they killed off Rosanne.

I haven't seen anything about the boy in question in the series.
-Andrea
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Bertino56 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:25 pm Maybe this isn't off-topic after all.
What if somebody came up with a screenplay about an ordinary bloke
who chooses (after a bit of experimentation) to wear skirts.
Not heels-and-hose, just skirts.
About his interplay with friends, co-workers, bosses, spouse if any,
family if any, otherwise girlfriend(s), clothes-shop staffs, the general public.
This isn't remotely like Tootsie, Mrs. Doubtfire, or Some Like it Hot.
It also is not at all about being gay or straight, transvestite, trans-anything,
although those suggestions inevitably come up amidst this ordinary bloke's
encounters. Along with all our positive discoveries, having to do with comfort.
In other words, a realistic scenario about a slightly non-conformist individual.
I was thinking "Marty" as an example.

I have a concept for a movie but no real way to write or produce it.

It could be a comedy action adventure.

The opening shot would have 4 shadows in the distance of people walking in the distance. The shadows would clearly outline 3 individuals in skirts and one in trousers.

As the shadowed figures walk there is chatting about the broken down car a mile back, being hungry, being late for the costume party, the building off in the distance being creepy.

This is to start to establish there are (3 girls and 1 guy) walking down the road. Then one of the young ladies makes a comment "you know have nice legs" at this point the male character says "shut up" female 2 says" yea you are kind of cute, aren't you cold" another "shut up" from the male follows.
at this point the camera reveals that the 4 people are dressed up for a costume party. A princess, a skirted pirate lady and a gender swapped couple like Alice in wonderland and the white rabbit The young woman dressed as the rabbit on the young man dressed as Alice.

Ok at this point you are thinking ok this guy is just in a costume and all decked out as female. In a costume that doesn't really help MIS.

Right then the zombies escape from the secluded secret laboratory that they just happened to be passing by.

The 4 fleeing for their lives on foot make it to the one girls NRA gun lovin' redneck grandfather s house. ( Every good zombie movie has to have a good weapons depot)

The 4 shed some of their costume props fake parot, sword, crown, rabbit ears. Fake boobs, bra and wig all get cast to the floor. Our male character grabs a black leather jacket from a coat hook. From this point of the movie only the skirt portion of his costume is visible so he is just MIS at this point.

He then runs for the one friends grandfather's bedroom to search for trousers. " There's no time for pants, we got to go!!!!
They all arm up for the fight of their lives.

Traveling through the countryside defending themselves and rescuing other survivors, there is time for a few more skirt jokes.all those mis issues can be addressed. No pockets etc. Even his own internal struggles with wearing a skirt could be covered.

At first you see our male character checking the dispatched zombie bodies for intact trousers in our heroes size. ( " Would it kill you to shoot them above the waist? I need pants!"

As time goes by the skirt jokes stop, he rescues his
Three female companions from being surrounded.
In a rambo ish shoot out. Now all thee are a little bit smitten by their rescuer in a skirt.

More comedy, tense moments to follow.....

Near the very end of the movie you see our our male hero find a laundry basket of clothes in an abandoned car. There is a pair of jeans in his size. He pauses for a moment, quizzical look on his face. He picks up the trousers, starts walking towards his friends that stopped to wait on him. He smiles at his 3 friends, says "my size", pauses and suddenly he tosses them into a burning pile of debris. And walks over to
Join them.

That is the general concept, I'm sure a good writer would do it much more good than I. I think it could be a great short story or short film.

TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

I've just remembered there was a Japanese retailing of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, in which it featured a character named "Boris Airay", who was based on the Cheshire Cat. He wears a miniskirt over his shorts while sporting a mid-riff, but I don't think he was ever portrayed as feminine. I only own the first volume of the manga, which is adaption of the Visual Novel. Here he is:

Since the image quality is poor and the size is relatively small, here's the link to his page on the fan-made wiki on him:
https://wonderfulwonderworld.fandom.com ... oris_Airay