Men in skirts in movies and TV

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men in skirts in movies and TV

Post by Elisabetta »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:13 pm The sitcom the Conner's had a boy on it don't remember his name or the actors name. He wore skirts in the very first season.
I wasn't able to keep up with the series to see how his character progressed. At least in the first season he was a freestyler. Boy that likes skirts, nothing more.
I'm wondering if he still wearing skirts? Or what they have done with his character?
Ames McNamara who plays Mark which is Darlene's son. He no longer wears skirts that I've seen but he is openly Gay in the show. I watch the Connors and at one point in time they were going to bring Rosanne back but if you remember in the first season they stated she died of a drug overdose.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I recall seeing a play on UK TV starring Charles Dance. He spent the entire play in a skirt and twinset as a man and this was never referred to.

I previously remarked on a quiz contestant on Only Connect, hosted by the wonderful Victoria Coren Mitchell. This person was called Alex and seemed to be presenting as male as there was no bust, but they wore a maxi dress, full make-up, earrings and nail varnish. Though the make-up was elaborate you could see the beard shadow. At no point was there any reference to this presentation. This team made the final, which was broadcast last night, so we saw this contestant a few times.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

rivegauche wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:16 pm I previously remarked on a quiz contestant on Only Connect, hosted by the wonderful Victoria Coren Mitchell. This person was called Alex and seemed to be presenting as male.
I also had noticed this, and had assumed that the person in question was consciously presenting as non-binary.
JenishJohn12

Post by JenishJohn12 »

In both movies and TV, men wearing skirts have been featured as a form of artistic expression, challenging traditional gender norms. This trend can be seen in various contexts, from comedic cross-dressing in films like "Tootsie" and "Mrs. Doubtfire" to more serious explorations of identity and culture in works like "Braveheart" and "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert." These portrayals often serve to break down stereotypes and promote discussions about gender fluidity and individuality. Over time, such representations have contributed to a broader societal acceptance of diverse fashion choices and expressions of masculinity.
Dungo

Post by Dungo »

I rewatched 51st State last weekend. For those unfamiliar Samual L Jackson spends the entire film kilted, with no explanation given ( unless I missed that bit…). That film is, for me, a far better ‘ role model’ for our collective quest than the many comedy CD films that spring to mind.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Dungo wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:49 pm I rewatched 51st State last weekend. For those unfamiliar Samual L Jackson spends the entire film kilted, with no explanation given ( unless I missed that bit…). That film is, for me, a far better ‘ role model’ for our collective quest than the many comedy CD films that spring to mind.
I agree. Though I love “Tootsie” and “Mrs Doubtfire”, they end with the men effectively being bullied back into their “normal” attire.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Yul Brenner, Charlton Heston and just about everybody else in The TEN COMMANDMENTS.
I am sure there are many points to made about what is and what isnt a skirt. But if it looks like a duck......
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

Reading through this I believe a super popular comedy series that have a very long running season that I've seen no one mention Klinger from MASH
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Last time I was in the UK, I went on a narrowboat holiday. Whilst I was cooking dinner and doing various chores, I noticed that the wife was watching a film where the majority of the cast were wearing unbifurcated garments. Turns out it was Gods of Egypt -apparently the film is a bit of a turkey, despite featuring some well respected talent.