A sad bit of news

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

A sad bit of news

Post by moonshadow »

I admit to being a little choked up over this.

Today I found out that one of our favorite restaurants located in Pearisburg Virginia, "Friends and Family Restaurant" burned to the ground last night.

In my experience of being a somewhat of a "gender nonconforming guy", though I've never been "turned away" from any business establishment, I can honestly say, that some have treated us better than others... and this establishment was one of the "good ones".

Friends and Family Restaurant lived up to their name. We have paid them several visits over the years, usually along the way from our home in the Appalachian coalfiends towards the Roanoke metro area. They have always treated us like family. On a five star system, I give them ten. The food was always good, but the welcoming atmosphere was the best part. We met many friendly people there from the employees that worked there to other people just passing through.

I hope they are able to rebuild, but nevertheless, the establishment made a positive impact on our lives. In a society fraught with so much hatred and meanness, it was always a pleasure to sit down and break bread where you felt like "friends and family". We will certainly miss the little diner with the gift shop off to the side.

Blessings to the owners and their employees during this difficult time.
0912171437a.jpg
fandfr.jpg
ffr_fire.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A sad bit of news

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:55 am I admit to being a little choked up over this.

Today I found out that one of our favorite restaurants located in Pearisburg Virginia, "Friends and Family Restaurant" burned to the ground last night.

In my experience of being a somewhat of a "gender nonconforming guy", though I've never been "turned away" from any business establishment, I can honestly say, that some have treated us better than others... and this establishment was one of the "good ones".

Friends and Family Restaurant lived up to their name. We have paid them several visits over the years, usually along the way from our home in the Appalachian coalfiends towards the Roanoke metro area. They have always treated us like family. On a five star system, I give them ten. The food was always good, but the welcoming atmosphere was the best part. We met many friendly people there from the employees that worked there to other people just passing through.

I hope they are able to rebuild, but nevertheless, the establishment made a positive impact on our lives. In a society fraught with so much hatred and meanness, it was always a pleasure to sit down and break bread where you felt like "friends and family". We will certainly miss the little diner with the gift shop off to the side.

Blessings to the owners and their employees during this difficult time.

0912171437a.jpg

fandfr.jpg

ffr_fire.jpg
Definitely heartbroken was such an adorable place with good food, memories and a wonderful atmosphere and gift shop. I really Pray they can rebuild.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Could be a tricky one. Building to code can be onerous as more and more regulations come in. The carpark will have been damaged by the fire and that will be just as expensive to replace.
Very tempting for the owners to try a new venture and allow other experts to plan a new building.

If there is enough support and the will is there anything is possible.

Like the photo of you together 👍
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

If they were adequately insured they should be able to rebuild to current standards and also be indemnified for their lost profits during the period of business interruption.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:32 am Could be a tricky one. Building to code can be onerous as more and more regulations come in. The carpark will have been damaged by the fire and that will be just as expensive to replace.
Very tempting for the owners to try a new venture and allow other experts to plan a new building.

If there is enough support and the will is there anything is possible.

Like the photo of you together 👍
I was looking at one of the drone photos online and it looks like it definitely started in the kitchen area. Having worked in this field since 2005 I can honestly say I'm surprised more restaurants don't burn down as the electrical systems in these "stick built" establishments leave a lot to be desired.

I've also seen a large proliferation of cheap Chinese restaurant equipment over the last few years. And don't get me wrong, thr equipment itself isn't necessarily suspect, it's the fact that restaurant owners who would have otherwise not been able to afford certain pieces that they honestly should have never installed in their smaller outdated woodframed structures did so anyway.

Often times these installations are conducted by somebody's cousin or "good buddy" and often without permits or inspections... and we're talking 200 Amp equipment in some cases.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, I am saying I wouldn't be at all surprised. I've seen my share of janky electrical configurations over the years.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

That's pretty much what I thought when I saw it was an oldish wooden structure. I'm also not sure the insurance would cover the rebuild to something better or at least adequate.

I also saw another post and was going reply. I hope I'm not breaking forum rules by replying in this manner or misquoting. If I am can the mods please delete this post without notice.

".. children have been HIGHLY sexualized for many, many decades now". - true.
".. it's perfectly acceptable to leer at sexy six year olds". - It happens and makes no sense
"..women can flaunt around all day" - true
"..We are an arrogant lot" - true
"..When will men start to conduct themselves as proper gentlemen, and when shall women start to conduct themselves as proper ladies?" - agreed

Mankind has lost it way. We were given a 'good book' to follow but we have misinterpreted it, used it for our own ends and forgotten it. ...and I'm not religious. The pursuit of greed in all its forms has overtaken everything.

If we stew in our frustration and anger, we will not achieve anything. Moonshadow, you are out there showing people its ok to be who you are. There are so many men and women out there frightened to death that people will find out about them and reject them. I've been there most of my life enviously looking on while maintaining the required front. The world needs more good roll models like you.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:37 pm I was looking at one of the drone photos online and it looks like it definitely started in the kitchen area. Having worked in this field since 2005 I can honestly say I'm surprised more restaurants don't burn down as the electrical systems in these "stick built" establishments leave a lot to be desired.
Two restaurants burned down in my area in just the past month. One was attached to a vape shop... but the other was standalone and it was the addition where the fire started, not the original restaraunt. The first was a total loss, the second they were able to extinguish it but the addition will have to be rebuilt.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:05 pm That's pretty much what I thought when I saw it was an oldish wooden structure. I'm also not sure the insurance would cover the rebuild to something better or at least adequate.
Your insurance is supposed to recover the rebuild value of the dwelling to current code. For normal homes this would be pretty standard I guess, but for a business you're supposed to think about that yourself. Let's hope they were reasonably insured, otherwise they're really up sh*t creek.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

rode_kater wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:18 pm
Barleymower wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:05 pm That's pretty much what I thought when I saw it was an oldish wooden structure. I'm also not sure the insurance would cover the rebuild to something better or at least adequate.
Your insurance is supposed to recover the rebuild value of the dwelling to current code. For normal homes this would be pretty standard I guess, but for a business you're supposed to think about that yourself. Let's hope they were reasonably insured, otherwise they're really up sh*t creek.
Insurance is tricky. I've had one claim in my life when our house got damaged by a tornado. Let's just say I learned pretty quick that the insurance adjuster is NOT your ally.

There are also limits to coverages.

I'm also not sure about limitations with coverage. If my house were to burn to the ground, there would be an expense involved in removing the debris to the landfill and preparing the lot for a new home, I would imagine that cost would be in the tens of thousands. I currently have about $200,000 of coverage, but with today's inflation prices, I'm not sure that would be enough to remove the old rubble and rebuild a new house on the lot. It might be enough to set a doublewide or modular home, however there are possible issues with that. I'm not even sure if they'd allow me to set a doublewide where a stick built house once stood. Additionally the bank who holds my mortgage specifically forbids leans on mobile homes including doublewides. The only upside is in just over nine years the mortgage bank won't have any say as I'll own the house outright. [0]

I don't know, and may I never have to find out. Insurance can be a real booger.

[0] We are planning a mortgage burning party... all are invited! August 1st 2032... don't miss it!
-Andrea
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

That’s why I qualified it as adequately insured. Adequate insurance would cover rebuilding to current standards, including site clearance etc. For any business, business interruption cover is also essential.

You do of course have to recognise the potential risks up front and pay the premium. As with anything else, you get what you pay for.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Over here the land is the major cost with any home and insurance covers site clearance and rebuild to a similar sie and current standards. Building and contents are separate entities but it is usual to have them both with the same insurance company.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.