Raising the Black

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Raising the Black

Post by Stu »

My son has always been interested in genealogy and he has uncovered records of my family going back to the 1500s. He came across a quote from one of my ancestors going back to the early eighteenth century when he was training to take on a job. He had been warned by a superior: "Once you have raised the black, there's no going back". This was apparently a warning to all in his job. Can anyone guess what "the black" referred to? I realised from the context and was somewhat shocked.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Raising the Black

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The only thing I can think of is the "Black Arts".
During 15th to the 19th century Witch Craft was widely practiced and frowned upon.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Raising the black flag?
As in raising a black, pirate flag or a black flag raised outside a prison to announce an execution.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Shadowfax has nailed it. My ancestor was a naval midshipman and this was a warning not to go rogue and join pirates - raising the black flag.

We tend to think of historical pirates and their flag as the stuff of movies and story books, but when you have a great x 4 grandpa who was in the navy being warned by a sea captain never to raise the Jolly Roger, it becomes a bit more real.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Stu wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:43 am Shadowfax has nailed it. My ancestor was a naval midshipman and this was a warning not to go rogue and join pirates - raising the black flag.

We tend to think of historical pirates and their flag as the stuff of movies and story books, but when you have a great x 4 grandpa who was in the navy being warned by a sea captain never to raise the Jolly Roger, it becomes a bit more real.
Thanks. :)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stu wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:43 am Shadowfax has nailed it. My ancestor was a naval midshipman and this was a warning not to go rogue and join pirates - raising the black flag.

Good one Stu and I'd reckon that life under the "Jolly Roger" was anything but.
Then again, I don't suppose life at sea was that easy for the vast majority in any case.
Steve.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Ah yes the good ole Jolly Rodger. I had completely forgot it was once called the black flag.

Living at sea in those days was really bad. No fresh water, bad food, not much in the way of sanitation facilities, and a captain that was ready to throw you to the sharks and that was on the good ships.

No the life of a sailor was very hard at best.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.