Forum Etiquette

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Forum Etiquette

Post by Uncle Al »

Happy Monday everyone :D

I'm writing this for all the "NEW" members who are not used to quoting formats.

If you want to quote a person by using the "(quote) button, you may then go into the quote and
delete the stuff not pertaining to your response. If John Doe writes 35 lines of commentary,
and you want to quote only part of that commentary, you do not have to quote the whole post.
This will keep posts shorter and to the point of your comments. The 'older members' have been
doing this for years, and it is quite easy.

If you copy a portion from a post, paste it into your new post, but you want to show it as a
quote, you can type {quote=John Doe} above or in front of, what you've pasted in your reply,
then type {/quote} after your pasted comment.

Example; {quote=John Doe} this pains me{/quote}
Change the {-bracket-} to [-bracket-] and the result is
John Doe wrote: this pains me
ALSO you have a "Preview" button, just to the left of the "Submit" button.
USE IT to proof-read what you're writing. This will help you to check for
grammar and spelling errors.

I hope this helps many newer members in writing their comments.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Forum Etiquette

Post by Grok »

When quoting, it is easy to delete the parts you don't need to make your point. You delete parts of a quote the same way you would delete (if making a correction) your own words before posting.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Also, periodically interacting with the "Preview" facility will reset the "idle timer" that runs when links have not been selected, and that timeout expires after one hour and will log one off. Selecting the "Preview" button (or any other link) will reset the timer -- and give one an indication of what the finished post will look like; this is important to gauge the efficacy of quoting. We've had a few folks complain about that timeout (mostly slow composers who get indignant when they don't get their way).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:42 pm Happy Monday everyone :D

I'm writing this for all the "NEW" members who are not used to quoting formats. ... [useful info] ... I hope this helps many newer members in writing their comments.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Thank you, Uncle Al. Those fully-quoted posts do my head in!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Also remember in your lengthly post(s) to frequently save {Save Draft} your work - least QWERTY fumble fingers scores a knock out deletion or relocation of your Opus Grande - - -

Egads I hate that when that happens !

Perhaps you didn't lose your Opus Grande but the Great Void is a common repository for such work UNSAVED !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Also another trick I learned is when replying, once you have your text box open (where you type your reply) you can scroll down into the conversation history and highlight the lines you want to quote with your mouse, then above the history you'll find the "quote button"... press it and it will quote only the text that is highlighted.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

The ones that puzzle me are the posts that consist only of a long quote, without adding any new text of their own. Why?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rivegauche wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:59 pmThe ones that puzzle me are the posts that consist only of a long quote, without adding any new text of their own. Why?
That will happen if somebody who thinks they're editing a post instead accidentally selects the "quote" icon (the one with the quotation mark in it) instead of the "edit" icon (the one with the pencil). That's just "pilot error" and not a violation of etiquette.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

crfriend wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:16 pm
rivegauche wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:59 pmThe ones that puzzle me are the posts that consist only of a long quote, without adding any new text of their own. Why?
That will happen if somebody who thinks they're editing a post instead accidentally selects the "quote" icon (the one with the quotation mark in it) instead of the "edit" icon (the one with the pencil). That's just "pilot error" and not a violation of etiquette.
Ah - thank you
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:45 am then above the history you'll find the "quote button"... press it and it will quote only the text that is highlighted.
Thanks, I hadn't tried that. Ideal for quoting from multiple posts.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, the timeout doesn't work for me. I leave a login session for days/weeks on end. I can close the laptop lid on a night and open it up the next day and the session is still there. Also I don't think I have ever had an edit session timeout either. Not that I am complaining, only observing. Interesting.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:49 pmCarl, the timeout doesn't work for me.
You may also have "keep me logged in" ticked and cookies fully enabled. That could make a difference. I get logged out after an hour of inactivity and just "deal".
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes to the first and don't know but probably to the second.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.