How to trigger everyone at once

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How to trigger everyone at once

Post by Kirbstone »

To accommodate visiting family we built our present abode large enough to allow this... 4500 sq. ft not including our habitable barn adjacent. History of Council planning rejections caused us to build the barn so we could occupy it if all planning applications failed. It provides a further 2100 sq. ft.

A clever engineer friend advised us to get a Ministry of Agriculture Herd Number and a few suckler cows. Including this information on our next planning application earned us a Council Planning rubber stamp and we were GO.

Being situated three miles from the nearest corner shop we may use open fireplaces where we burn solid fuel throughout the Winter, but they are mainly cosmetic & only heat a small area. Oil-fired C/H this Winter is almost twice as expensive as before. Four years ago January we accommodated 17 'Dynasty' members for our 50th Anniversary, so the space was useful.

Illustrated is the squeaky-clean Command Center which is modelled on the Starship Enterprise and features 40 year old cabinetry from our English Tudor house, an oil-fired traditional AGA which also heats the water and dries the clothes. Tucked in beside this is a black modern cooker, electric ovens and propane fired hob. Added are of course a microwave and air-fryer.

Choices of eating places: Kitchen table, adjacent Dining Room (Max 12 places) adjacent Garden Room (Max about 30 !) and the BBQ terrace for Summers/Autumn.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

pelmut wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:40 pm I can't see how an electric water heater could possibly be made inefficient.  All the energy delivered to the heating element finishes up as heat in the water; it is as near 100% efficient as any appliance could be.
The efficiency of a water heater is 100% determined by the insulation layer (i.e. heat loss when not in use). And even then, if it's somewhere in your house, it's heating the house with its waste heat.

Though maybe it's a different kind of "efficiency", namely, how long it takes to heat from cold.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:52 am
pelmut wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:40 pm I can't see how an electric water heater could possibly be made inefficient.  All the energy delivered to the heating element finishes up as heat in the water; it is as near 100% efficient as any appliance could be.
The efficiency of a water heater is 100% determined by the insulation layer (i.e. heat loss when not in use). And even then, if it's somewhere in your house, it's heating the house with its waste heat.
That's the efficiency of the storage system, not the heater.
Though maybe it's a different kind of "efficiency", namely, how long it takes to heat from cold.
The quicker it heats, the more power it must be drawing.  The losses in the supply cables increase as the square of the current, so a more powerful heater is actually less efficient in terms of power losses.  This can be mitigated by going to a three-phase supply or a higher voltage.

Sorry to be picky, but it pays to be sure exactly what you are talking about with something as potentially expensive as this.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

We have a gas combi boiler ( provides central heating and hot water on demand ) and am looking at the end of gas as a fuel with trepidation. There is considerable resistance to air an ground sourced heating because of cost, lack of understanding and a lot of the housing stock being unsuitable. We used to have a gas cooker but ditched it. We no longer cook large turkeys so my wife has gone to a small induction hob, an air frier and a microwave.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.