What floats your boat for hobbies ...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What floats your boat for hobbies ...

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Ray wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:59 pm Fine wine. I have a reasonable collection numbering over 1,500.
If you send me your address, I'll bring the cheese and crackers... :)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Easy. It’s the house that moves tidally every time the moon passes overhead :-)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

On my last visit to my elder son, who lives with his family in Worcestershire, S. of the M42, he took me on a country walk, destination: one fine pub we'd been to by car before. Could have done with one of your bikes, Ray.
The distance to that pub was 5 MILES! A couple of pints later we were on our way back....another 5 miles along a different route. It was wellies country and time of year.
1500 bottles of wine. Wow. That would take me a little while to polish off and I'd need some assistance. At my age now I don't keep much laid down. I'd hate to snuff it and have my progeny do the drinking. For us, with the arrival of new 'dynasty' members fairly regularly, it's nice to have something with which to 'wet the baby's head'. I'm strictly a social drinker myself.

Skiing: Been there, done that. MOH & I both invested in decent downhill planks early on and quickly learned to hide them so offsprings didn't spot them and two gluhweins became six. Later on we abandoned downhill and took to cross-country (Langlauf, Shi-du-Fond), which we enjoy to this day. No more queuing for lifts.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Tom, next time you’re over, drive about 20 miles east, pop in, and we’ll walk only three miles each way to a cracking pub - or have a go at reducing the vinous stockpile ;-)

You may not be able to drive back….
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ray,
Lookng at Google maps, Son lives in Rowney Green, near Alvchurch and the pub in question must have been the Coach & Horses on Weatheroak hill, N. of the M42.
Your invitation is one one cannot refuse. My problem with that is the steadfast refusal by the Authorities to drain the Irish Sea, which is considerably deeper than the English channel, so trips to Rowney Grn. must perforce be well spaced out (That has a different meaning, nowadays), which brings us back to floating boats.....

Tom
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

Once again all ....Fantastic ...So many fun (or frustrating with golf) activities , lots of water orientated and modelling proponents too ..Cooking too , wow ..I love eating ,not so good at preparing and admire anyone who can cook . Played golf in our nine hole Wednesday night stableford comp at our local club which I'm President of these days and began like a freight train and racked up 10 points in the first 4 holes ...crashed out with a further 6 points for the next five holes ...That's golf for you but I love every second of it .. We are a very rural club that has a 9 green 18 tees 5000 metres course and a 8 rink by 7 rink lawn bowls green .. Totally voluntary crew that look after the facility (about 10 regular helpers and double that on Working Bee days) All up just over 100 members and we pay the princely sum of $75 Australian for annual membership . Visitors pay $10 per day or $20 for the week for green fees...Probably one of the cheapest private members clubs in Australia I guess ... Cheers ...
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Tom, I’m near Henley in Arden. No regatta like the other Henley, but more wine ;-)

You are welcome any time - even though your schedule may be tight.

Ray
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thank you, Ray. I'll put that on the back burner for now and PM you near the time, whenever that'll be.

Yes, in the past I had a lot to do with that other Henley and held a membership of their Regatta Stewards for 19 years.

Yonks ago while house-hunting over here we seriously considered a property in Stratford.......on-Slaney, Co. Wexford! The Rowney Green son's goodly wifie blows Clarinet professionally for the Shakespeare people in that other Stratford......-on Avon.

Tom
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:33 am For me, I enjoy brewing beers, amateur radio and if I was still living in Auckland, New Zealand, I'd be out with one of my good friends sailing out around the Hauraki gulf, nothing like bashing into head wind with 4 ft swells at 7 kn for about 4 to 5 hours (in a 35 ft yacht) to get to Mansionhouse Bay, Kawau Island, a simply beautiful spot, sheltered anchorage in about 8m of water.

Aussie, I'm into amateur radio, I have been in the hobby for about 12 years now.
Right now my HF rig is not hooked up or I'd say we could try and have a chat if you do HF. Home owners association s are a real pain, as I can't put up any kind of permanent antenna. So most of the time my radio sits idle.

I spend most of my time on 2m when I have time to be on the radio.

Other hobbies besides radio, interests

Stating the obvious, collecting skirts.

I have a small match book collection

Hydroponic lettuce growing, in 2020 when the world seemed like it was spinning out of control, I discovered the world of hydroponics, it is surprising easier than one might think, not that it's trouble free, it has it's issues, but the average Joe can actually grow Leafly greens with out having a degree from MIT or a billion dollar bank account for equipment.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

HF Radio is fascinating but not used too much in Tasmania as far as I'm aware . Rigs take a bit of setting up I understand as well . Is that correct or not ? I'm thinking Amateur (Ham) Radio might be also incredibly interesting to do one day but that I do know takes a fair bit to get involved with as a bloke sadly no longer with us showed me once . He had to pass exams and get qualified for his Amateur Radio Operator Licence over a period of time and he had two large antenna arrays set up so he could talk to places like South Africa , USA , Canada and places throughout Europe and Asia depending on conditions . It was his absolute passion though ..He had a detached radio shack from the house and he told me he'd spend most of his time that he had spare in the "shack" ..

My stuff is purely mobile UHF both car and handheld but I do have quite a bit in that regard . It's just fun and at times really helpful given we have mobile phone dead spots in some places . UHF is sometimes good for 40-50 kms but usually 5 to 10 kms gives enough range to use for convoy travel on camping trips or when we bushwalk/hike etc.. Most of my stuff is Uniden but also Oricom , Digitech , Baofeng and Retevis . My scanner is Uniden with both VHF and UHF capability ... The Retevis handhelds are 5 watt and are also dual band UHF/VHF and are fantastic value and pretty sturdy ..I bought better dB gain super flex antennas for them ...cheers...