Arrested?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Arrested?

Post by Uncle Al »

From a Daily Dose Of History:
Doctor Mary Edwards Walker
Dr Mary Eddwards Walker JPG 2022-12-01.jpg
Mary Walker earned her medical degree from Syracuse Medical College in 1855, at a time when very few women became physicians. An abolitionist, she volunteered for service as a surgeon in the federal army during the Civil War, but she was turned down. Refusing the army’s offer to make her a nurse instead, Dr. Walker volunteered her services as a spy, but was turned down again. So, she began treating the wounded and sick as a volunteer civilian doctor, until ultimately the Army hired her as a contract surgeon, the first woman ever employed by the U.S. Army in that role. In April 1864 Dr. Walker was captured while behind Confederate lines. She was a prisoner of war for four months, until released in a prisoner exchange. For her services Mary Walker was awarded the Medal of Honor. She is the only woman in American history to receive the medal.
Mary Walker was a suffragist, prohibitionist, war hero, and pioneering physician, but it was her preference for traditional male clothing that earned her the most notoriety. She was arrested on numerous occasions for wearing men’s clothing. Once when asked why she wore men’s clothes she answered, “I don’t wear men’s clothes. I wear MY clothes.”
Mary Edwards Walker was born on November 26, 1832, one hundred ninety years ago today.

Thought provoking, isn't it :D
And we thought WE had problems :roll:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Arrested?

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes,
The harrowing trailblazing path chosen by Dr. Edwards Walker is well documented. She was at least 50 years ahead of her time and the misogyny universal in her professional circles forced her to adopt a male persona & attire.

She was a cracking good doctor, by all accounts.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Arrested?

Post by skirtyscot »

Fascinating. If you'd told me that picture was of a man, I'd have believed you. No doubt that was deliberately masculine presentation.

A good person all round, except for being a prohibitionist!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair