The Football World Cup in Qatar

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

The Football World Cup in Qatar

Post by howardfh »

Nope, me neither. I might watch the Netherlands games, but that's about all. I'd like to add a few choice adjectives about human rights,modern day slavery and outright homophobia, but use your imagination instaed.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: The Football World Cup in Qatar

Post by ScotL »

howardfh wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:12 am Nope, me neither. I might watch the Netherlands games, but that's about all. I'd like to add a few choice adjectives about human rights,modern day slavery and outright homophobia, but use your imagination instaed.
To truly fight against these things during the World Cup in Qatar, you’d have to avoid the entire thing. Not watch on TV where the advertising money is great.

But it’s the world cup and people ain’t gonna miss it.

So a different tactic is to use it as a stage to show the world the problems that occur there. Read an article this AM about a gay Qatari who lives in San Francisco with asylum who stated when he started getting vocal, it led him to learn there were many others who also felt similar to him. And he detailed his story that when he was growing up, he was gay but lacked the words to comprehend his feelings due to how repressive his childhood society was/is.

Reminds me that all change needs a stage with which to introduce and educate.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Does anyone know anywhere (country, planet, universe) that's going to be free of this menace for the next month?
Football bores me to tears, largely because of the infatuation with it. It's allowed to totally rewrite the TV schedules, often at short notice, so that what you have arranged to watch is obliterated by 'and we're staying with the world cup - retune to another channel to watch --------'
I would like to see it confined to a 'Channel Sport' or 'Channel Football' in order to leave the main broadcast channels following the regular schedule.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

trainspotter48 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:16 pm Does anyone know anywhere (country, planet, universe) that's going to be free of this menace for the next month?
Football bores me to tears, largely because of the infatuation with it. It's allowed to totally rewrite the TV schedules, often at short notice, so that what you have arranged to watch is obliterated by 'and we're staying with the world cup - retune to another channel to watch --------'
I would like to see it confined to a 'Channel Sport' or 'Channel Football' in order to leave the main broadcast channels following the regular schedule.
I am in 100% agreement with you! And I include all sports. I get so tired of European and American football as well as baseball, basket ball, tennis, and golf taking away or moving the shows I enjoy. Many times without notice.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

trainspotter48 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:16 pm Does anyone know anywhere (country, planet, universe) that's going to be free of this menace for the next month?
With freeview you've got over 100 channels not showing the football. I admit it's a downer if all the pubs have it on - I was in Brighton when England played their last big game, and in any case outside the World Cup the only live football tends to be on said "football channels"!

It's only a month, stuff like East Enders, Come Dancing, get me out of here etc etc etc seem to be never-ending. Of course if one wishes to avoid the world cup altogether, go to Scotland :oops: :oops:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

If all football (soccer) were banned World-wide yesterday/tomorrow I wouldn't even notice. It holds the same interest for me as gambling does.

I never switch on the TV myself, only occasionally sitting in for a while when MOH has some nature or scientific programme on. The instrument lurks unnoticed in some recess in the drawing room. When I go in there it is either to play or listen to music.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

You could maybe try somewhere like Iceland! As for me, I'm working tomorrow when the first England game is on and I'm not recording it. Truly, due to the whole situation wit Catarrh I am finding it difficult to generate any sort of enthusiasm for the fiasco and hence will not be following any results.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I decided not to have a television when I moved into this house in 1985.  I might regret it, but haven't yet.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Good on you, Pelmut.

Having invested in a colour TV in 1969 to watch the Moon landings &c we got rid of it altogether in 1977 when both ITV and the BeeB beamed very distressing footage of the N.I troubles daily into our living room at primetime with severely biased English commentary and we had then a brood of children in single-figure ages whose grandparents lived in the Irish Republic and who we visited regularly. So the TV had to go.

MOH relented only recently and acquired a small two-foot set to watch the pageantry of the Jubilee celebrations and EIIR funeral &c. Thanks to miracle cable tech., there is now a choice of hundreds of World channels which we will never explore.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !