philanthropy

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

philanthropy

Post by skirtedbrit »

In the 50's, 60's, and 70's we always saw America as being more civilised with better cars, homes etc and part of that was philanthropy where the rich would give generously for the common good. Is this still the case?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: philanthropy

Post by STEVIE »

Sadly, I have a bad feeling about the answers which you will receive SB.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

There are many wealthy people who give to good causes.

It just doesn't make headlines because that kind of news doesn't sell.

People want to see death, carnage, drama, culture wars, meanness, ugliness, bigotry, etc when they turn on the news.

And the news always delivers.

There is plenty of good here, you just have to know how to find it.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:23 pm There are many wealthy people who give to good causes.
It just doesn't make headlines because that kind of news doesn't sell.
People want to see death, carnage, drama, culture wars, meanness, ugliness, bigotry, etc when they turn on the news.
And the news always delivers.
There is plenty of good here, you just have to know how to find it.
Frankly, that is a more positive answer than I expected.
Steve,
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:08 pmFrankly, that is a more positive answer than I expected.
Moon is right -- for an absolutely minuscule portion of the population. That portion amounts to possibly about 2,000 to 3,000 individuals who still have some excess wealth that hasn't been bled off by the oligarchs.

The rest of it is an abject mess. The place is a world now of .001% of the population holding about 90% of the wealth, and the rest are living off whatever savings they have because the employment economy has gone to close to zero. The US is in a death-spiral unless the situation can be reversed, and thanks to the political system, it cannot be.

There remains much good here; however, the evil is going to win in the end.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

skirtedbrit wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:21 am In the 50's, 60's, and 70's we always saw America as being more civilised with better cars, homes etc and part of that was philanthropy where the rich would give generously for the common good. Is this still the case?
I’ve always wondered about these questions. America is a big country and within you’ll find so many different kinds of people driving all manner of cars, with all manner of wealth and philanthropy. Some do it for tax write offs and some are altruistic. If you want to make a point about the US, you can find Americans to make any point you want. Good or bad. It’s pretty impossible to make a broad generalization that fits “America”.

Which I find in every place I have visited. I’m just most familiar with the US but have been somewhat imbedded in Germany and China. Same thing there as I see in the US. In my opinion, there are some generalities but even within them there are major exceptions.

For instance, the Germans are known to be quite punctual. A German I worked with was always late.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are two among a group of billionaires who have committed to giving away a substantial part, if not all, of their fortunes. They have been headlined setting up foundations and supporting research into various fields.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.