Butchering the English Language

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Butchering the English Language

Post by Coder »

https://www.cowboysindians.com/2022/10/ ... ollection/
This 28-piece collection includes denim staples such as men’s and women’s jeans, shirts, jackets and skirts that feature fresh graphics, powerful prints, custom laser designs and exclusive embroideries that harken to Bridges’ Texas ties.
My heart skipped a beat when I read this, wasn't surprised when I found their only skirt option was for women.

So I thought I'd ask - anyone else run into some sentences that are so poorly written they can be read multiple ways? Sentences that bugged you so much you wanted to tell someone else? Post them here. Since writing isn't my profession, it doesn't apply to what I write :D
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Butchering the English Language

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:36 am https://www.cowboysindians.com/2022/10/ ... ollection/
This 28-piece collection includes denim staples such as men’s and women’s jeans, shirts, jackets and skirts that feature fresh graphics, powerful prints, custom laser designs and exclusive embroideries that harken to Bridges’ Texas ties.
My heart skipped a beat when I read this, wasn't surprised when I found their only skirt option was for women.

So I thought I'd ask - anyone else run into some sentences that are so poorly written they can be read multiple ways? Sentences that bugged you so much you wanted to tell someone else? Post them here. Since writing isn't my profession, it doesn't apply to what I write :D
Texting is killing formal language
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I remember reading that punctuation is very important when you’re thinking of helping your uncle Jack off a horse…
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Ray wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:49 am I remember reading that punctuation is very important when you’re thinking of helping your uncle Jack off a horse…
Brilliant! Sounds like something from "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue".
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:09 am Texting is killing formal language
If someone sends "u" instead of "you" in a text message, I immediately discount everything they have to say.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:49 amI remember reading that punctuation is very important when you’re thinking of helping your uncle Jack off a horse…
That was beautiful! Thank you, it made my day.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I am but the messenger. I was told this last weekend by a friend - and absolutely lost it! I was in pain from laughing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:42 pmI am but the messenger. I was told this last weekend by a friend - and absolutely lost it! I was in pain from laughing.
Oh, it got quite the yelp from me as well -- a laugh I sorely needed in this black and dismal world.

On the topic of punctuation and its importance to the language, I cannot recommend Lynne Truss' wonderful tome Eats, Shoots and Leaves highly enough. An absolute masterpiece.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Ray wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:49 am I remember reading that punctuation is very important when you’re thinking of helping your uncle Jack off a horse…
And another I read with it was "come and eat grandpa"
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:25 pm
If someone sends "u" instead of "you" in a text message, I immediately discount everything they have to say.
Same here. You cant write two more letters?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:25 pm If someone sends "u" instead of "you" in a text message, I immediately discount everything they have to say.
FLbreezy, I really must ask why?
Would you really really discount potentially vital information on that basis?

Steve
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

ScotL wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:01 pm
I think this started in the days of texting on a number pad, when any reduction in the number of characters was a win, as you had to pound the same key multiple times for each one. But it never went away, and now it just looks lazy...
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Dust wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:30 am
ScotL wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:01 pm

I think this started in the days of texting on a number pad, when any reduction in the number of characters was a win, as you had to pound the same key multiple times for each one. But it never went away, and now it just looks lazy...
Ah yes, I bet your right. Good call
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:38 pm
FLbreezy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:25 pm If someone sends "u" instead of "you" in a text message, I immediately discount everything they have to say.
FLbreezy, I really must ask why?
Would you really really discount potentially vital information on that basis?
It's just makes me irrationally twitchy. Like people who write "heals" for "high heels" and other "bone apple tea" phrases. I realize written communication is going the way of the dinosaurs, but it's sad to see. Not that I'm perfect, but... :)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:36 pmIt's just makes me irrationally twitchy. Like people who write "heals" for "high heels" and other "bone apple tea" phrases. I realize written communication is going the way of the dinosaurs, but it's sad to see. Not that I'm perfect, but... :)
The written language is alive and well, it's just that there are ever fewer practitioners of it. It also remains one of the few things that sets humans apart from the rest of the animal kingdom.

I feel your pain in the dumbing-down of this incredible vehicle for communication, but I feel you can rest assured that it's "not dead yet"! Is it "in trouble"? I'm not sure, but fewer and fewer folks seem to regard reading as important or valuable, and fewer and fewer places are teaching the proper use of the written language (which is quite discrete from the spoken one in spite of similarities). In the United States, I believe this is by design; I cannot postulate about other countries.