A Sad Day...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

A Sad Day...

Post by crfriend »

... for aviation and astronomy, in one swift go.

NASA today "retired" the SOFIA (Stratospheric Observatory For Infrared Astronomy"), a joint effort of Germany (who supplied the 106 inch optical telescope and much of the operational support) and the US NASA. The aircraft was a heavily modified Boeing 747-SP of which the rear side of the fuselage could open like a garage door to expose the optics of the 38,000 pound telescope and make precise observations from places on the planet where it would have been otherwise impossible (e.g. over oceans).

So, at a stroke, what I believe to be the last extant 747-SP and a very unique astronomical observatory are being put to pasture.

Here's hoping she finds a new home in a German museum.

:cry:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Sad Day...

Post by Faldaguy »

How about the Evergreen Museums, home of the Spruce Goose and former lair of Del Smith -- of CIA fame! :sorry:
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Sad Day...

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

A sad day for those of us who admire the marvel that is the Boeing 747, too.

During her times downunder, she was based in Christchurch, New Zealand, out of the US Antarctic division base at Christchurch airport.

I was fortunate enough to see her albeit from a distance when I was in Christchurch earlier this year.
I recall seeing the Qantas Boeing 747-SPs flying into and out of Wellington, New Zealand, as a kid.

A very unique aircraft. I hope the aircraft is preserved.