Ian

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Ian

Post by FLbreezy »

What kind of skirt is best to wear during a hurricane? Will I have to adopt a Marilyn Monroe pose the whole time?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ian

Post by r.m.anderson »

A pencil skirt may make it easier for the flow of the storm to go around you -
But you will not be able to easily side step a gust of wind -

On another token - wearing something with a short hem line maybe helpful -
At least you will not be having it blind your progress as you step thru the debris -

The Marilyn moment was directed in a small confined area (underground ventilation) -
A hurricane force wind will be covering immense areas with no cover readily available -

Beware the winds may not be free of moisture -
up drafts of lingering water hazards may cause other concerns - wet undergear -
and a lengthy hem line may drag in ponded water.

There are reasons to wear something more appropriate -
but it shouldn't be skirts (or dresses) -
A thigh length skirt would be much better than an ankle biter factoring the temperature (Wind Chill).

But don't let a little ole storm keep you from your quest to wear the skirt !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Looks like you have a lot of personal experience of this storm skirt-wearing business, RM.

Here we get 'equinoxial storms' around this time and at End March, but this year so far none has arrived or is forecast.

Re; skirting in a storm, I'd go for thick tights and a tight little mini of about max. 18" length, a short jacket preferably with a hood and sensible footwear.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Thanks for the smiles, you guys and the genuinely useful ideas as well. 8) I'm off to put gasoline in my portable generator and make sure it's running properly (while wearing a skirt, of course).
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

In this situation, I'ld wear a wet suit as such a scuba diver wears.
It's designed to protect the diver and water would flow off real quick.

Just my $.02 worth ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

You could wear any skirt, assuming you have solid underwear and the hem is so long as to obscure your line of sight.
Some "bubble" skirts have elastic around the hem.
You could try suspenders attached to the hem down to your socks.
I find my mini skirts are good in high wind, although I haven't tested them in a hurricane and I am not in a hurry to do that.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

In all it is just Mother Natures way of having a temper tantrum because we are not keeping our room clean! :D

I will wear what I would normally wear during a storm either a dress or a skirt with knee length hem. And a water proof coat to keep them dry!! :)
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

After watching the weather channel this afternoon I am worried about all of our members living in Florida. I hope and pray you have all managed to come through the storm alive and well.
The amount of devastation I saw is extreme to say the least.
PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE AND IF THERE IS ANYTHING WE CAN DO TO HELP!!

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

My place was ok although we lost a few trees. Had one pine tree snap off about 6 feet off the ground and fall on the power line and break into a few pieces. I'm not sure how but it didn't break the power line. We were all prepped for the worst and it thankfully didn't happen.

Watching the TV coverage of Ft Myers and Sanibel Island is heartbreaking because we know that area well and have spent many wonderful times on Sanibel.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:34 pmWatching the TV coverage of Ft Myers and Sanibel Island is heartbreaking because we know that area well and have spent many wonderful times on Sanibel.
Yes, that's rough. A couple I know from my local lost a house on Pine Island to Ian.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Quite frankly, in a hurricane I don't think it really matters what you wear as I don't think anybody around will be bothered about what's on display and be moving to safety or trying to stay alive!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

In Ireland's SW, where we have had our little bolthole for a half a Century now, we complain about various storms we have had and marvel at the seas that they produce, but Hurricane Ian has been something else entirely.

I submit one published pic. of the aftermath. (There were hundreds). Such a scale of maritime destruction is frankly mind-boggling and my heart goes out to those whose property was smashed to pieces. I hope never to see such destruction visit our shores in my lifetime.

What to wear?....The choice is endless, as one would be indoors anyway.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !