Rest in Peace Queen

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rest in Peace Queen of England

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:40 pm Again thanks for the replies. The end of a grand era. The only downside is that all the terrestrial channels [0] have programmes on about her and her life. There is only so much one can take of the same things being said over and over for hours and hours. They even cancelled showing the NFL game. Thank goodness for satellite and streaming.

[0] BeebBeebCeeb1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5.
I did a scan yesterday and found 154 channels on our local terrestrial relay station -- and that's a mere subset of what I'd have if there wasn't a big hill in between me and the main high-power station. So even if we discount a couple of dozen of these as radio stations, and a few more as HD/SD duplicates, that still leaves many more than five terrestrial stations. It's my impression that most of the others reverted pretty swiftly to business as usual.

The one thing I haven't heard in all this is Lavenham Bells (Suffolk). Years ago, BBC World Service used to keep a disk of their melodious chime on the shelf in readiness for the death of the Sovereign.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rest in Peace Queen

Post by Elisabetta »

Just so everyone knows I'm part British.Sometimes when Queen Elizabeth was mentioned they mentioned her as the Queen of England.They didn't always mention her as Queen Elizabeth.

I have since then fixed the Title but my post wasn't about correcting me, the title or whatnot it was to pay my respects to Queen Elizabeth.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The Queen of more than England - The Queen of the United Kingdom and is in some respects the Queen of the World

Most certainly amplifying the post by crfriend:

crfriend » 08 Sep 2022 02:01 pm
Damn. She was one of the very last of the world leaders who had a shred of integrity. The world is a poorer place now.

God save more than the rest of Royalty - but the rest of mankind from rulers who don't how to SERVE and rule !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, it depends upon what you mean by opposing Margaret Thatcher. The Monarch and the Royal Family are supposed to be politically neutral and not voice any opinion on political matters. That's one reason Harry and Meagain have been criticised for some of their recent comments and misunderstandings. That doesn't mean the influences can't be gently voiced in private. But QE2 wouldn't have been able to block legislation, only deflect its course a bit. If the King or Queen refuses to sign an Act the Privy Council can do it in their stead.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:56 pm The Queen of the United Kingdom
Queen of Canada and Australia too. And Bermuda and a dozen other countries of the British Commonwealth.

I am broadly supportive of constitutional monarchy. It gives a continuity and focus to the national identity while politicians come and go. In the UK, it also helps to maintain the kilt in the public eye! King Charles III has often been seen wearing the Balmoral tartan in the past.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:42 pmCarl, it depends upon what you mean by opposing Margaret Thatcher. The Monarch and the Royal Family are supposed to be politically neutral and not voice any opinion on political matters. That's one reason Harry and Meagain have been criticised for some of their recent comments and misunderstandings. That doesn't mean the influences can't be gently voiced in private. But QE2 wouldn't have been able to block legislation, only deflect its course a bit. If the King or Queen refuses to sign an Act the Privy Council can do it in their stead.
Sinned is, of course, correct in his assertion, and I know that the Queen's position was little other than a figurehead, but it would have been one Hell of a statement on the course that was about to be taken. Would it have changed anything? I do not know. We will never know. But what I do know is that that course will be the end of us all pretty soon.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:50 pm
r.m.anderson wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:56 pm The Queen of the United Kingdom
Queen of Canada and Australia too. And Bermuda and a dozen other countries of the British Commonwealth.

I am broadly supportive of constitutional monarchy. It gives a continuity and focus to the national identity while politicians come and go. In the UK, it also helps to maintain the kilt in the public eye! King Charles III has often been seen wearing the Balmoral tartan in the past.
Thanks for pointing that out! RIP Queen Elizabeth II would have been right, and unambiguous. She was the queen of my country (Canada) too. It took me nearly a week to stop getting drippy when her passing was mentioned. In the two or three text messages I sent to people I knew, my message was simple: "Long Live the King" and they knew that meant that our queen had passed without me having to say it.

I'd have to say that I'm a bit more than broadly supportive of monarchy; I'm an outright monarchist and anti-republican. It's inaccurate to say, as is so common today, that the monarchy is just "symbolic" or something. I find that's a bit like saying that the sprinkler system in a building is just symbolic just because it's never been directly needed. Perhaps just being there has been enough to keep it from being needed! I haven't found a reason to prefer any other means of democracy, and I have found enough reason to prefer constitutional monarchy over any other means. I doubt that King Charles will be able to distinguish himself as his mother did, but she had a lifetime to do it, so long live the King, I say anyway.
Daryl...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

KC3 has indicated that he intends to try and follow his mother's example so we shall see. The signs are there in some of the things he supports. He was on an edition of "The Repair Shop" recently and the impression he gave was good and his support for apprenticeships in traditional crafts is important.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.