Eddie Lizard

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Eddie Lizard

Post by Freedomforall »

I did not know that Eddie is now identifying with the pronoun she. She has put in a bid to be a Parliament Member. I made the mistake of reading comments on another social media site. Sometimes I just wish social media did not exist. This sensitive soul is growing weary of it. Too much hate and anger spewed forth by keyboard warriors!

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-new ... gn-support
User avatar
Stu
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:25 am
Location: North Lincolnshire, UK

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by Stu »

"is now identifying with the pronoun she"

It's the decision of the speaker which third person pronoun to use.

If Eddie wants me to use "she", then I want some evidence that is the correct pronoun and not just a personal preference. That evidence would be a clear sign of actual transitioning as a permanent switch.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by Freedomforall »

I think what bothers me the most about this concerns him being identified as a crossdresser first. He was then labeled transgender. Are we concerned we might be lumped into that category? If so what are we afraid of? What is that category? We are different and like to be accepted. Our own minds divide us more than anything!
ScotL
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:43 am

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by ScotL »

Freedomforall wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:04 pm
I did not know that Eddie is now identifying with the pronoun she. She has put in a bid to be a Parliament Member. I made the mistake of reading comments on another social media site. Sometimes I just wish social media did not exist. This sensitive soul is growing weary of it. Too much hate and anger spewed forth by keyboard warriors!

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-new ... gn-support
How many posters had a real name associated with their post? I can write anything as “cajones69” but when I have to use my real name…
ScotL
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:43 am

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by ScotL »

Freedomforall wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:28 am
I think what bothers me the most about this concerns him being identified as a crossdresser first. He was then labeled transgender. Are we concerned we might be lumped into that category? If so what are we afraid of? What is that category? We are different and like to be accepted. Our own minds divide us more than anything!
Hence the reason for this cafe and Carls excellent quotes in the CNN article. We are unwilling to relinquish our masculinity just because we want to be comfortable and wear a skirt. Crossdressing is a stupid term. Wouldn’t it be nice if the current ideologue on the social justice concerning trans rights recognized that word as offensive?
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by Freedomforall »

ScotL wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:39 am
Freedomforall wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:28 am
I think what bothers me the most about this concerns him being identified as a crossdresser first. He was then labeled transgender. Are we concerned we might be lumped into that category? If so what are we afraid of? What is that category? We are different and like to be accepted. Our own minds divide us more than anything!
Hence the reason for this cafe and Carls excellent quotes in the CNN article. We are unwilling to relinquish our masculinity just because we want to be comfortable and wear a skirt. Crossdressing is a stupid term. Wouldn’t it be nice if the current ideologue on the social justice concerning trans rights recognized that word as offensive?
It is a ridiculous term started in my opinion to degrade and make men feel horrible for doing the same thing that is acceptable for women to do. I just wish we could all accept everyone as just people. I typically do not view myself as more or female. I am just me. I rarely think of my gender as it has nothing to do with my interactions with people. I am just me and if people cannot accept that then I move on!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by Freedomforall »

ScotL wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:34 am
Freedomforall wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:04 pm
I did not know that Eddie is now identifying with the pronoun she. She has put in a bid to be a Parliament Member. I made the mistake of reading comments on another social media site. Sometimes I just wish social media did not exist. This sensitive soul is growing weary of it. Too much hate and anger spewed forth by keyboard warriors!

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-new ... gn-support
How many posters had a real name associated with their post? I can write anything as “cajones69” but when I have to use my real name…
This was a Facebook post and appeared to be real names as both first and last were listed. However, they could have been fake. The comments were still full of anger and could definitely cause hurt to people regardless if the names were fake. It is no wonder that children bully each other as adults certainly do not set the best examples!
ScotL
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:43 am

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by ScotL »

Freedomforall wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:25 pm
ScotL wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:39 am
Freedomforall wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:28 am
I think what bothers me the most about this concerns him being identified as a crossdresser first. He was then labeled transgender. Are we concerned we might be lumped into that category? If so what are we afraid of? What is that category? We are different and like to be accepted. Our own minds divide us more than anything!
Hence the reason for this cafe and Carls excellent quotes in the CNN article. We are unwilling to relinquish our masculinity just because we want to be comfortable and wear a skirt. Crossdressing is a stupid term. Wouldn’t it be nice if the current ideologue on the social justice concerning trans rights recognized that word as offensive?
It is a ridiculous term started in my opinion to degrade and make men feel horrible for doing the same thing that is acceptable for women to do. I just wish we could all accept everyone as just people. I typically do not view myself as more or female. I am just me. I rarely think of my gender as it has nothing to do with my interactions with people. I am just me and if people cannot accept that then I move on!
Maybe we have to start trying to get the word “crossdressing” thrown out as offensive towards the gender-fluid (sorry Coder).
ScotL
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:43 am

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by ScotL »

Freedomforall wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:28 pm
ScotL wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:34 am
Freedomforall wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:04 pm
I did not know that Eddie is now identifying with the pronoun she. She has put in a bid to be a Parliament Member. I made the mistake of reading comments on another social media site. Sometimes I just wish social media did not exist. This sensitive soul is growing weary of it. Too much hate and anger spewed forth by keyboard warriors!

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-new ... gn-support
How many posters had a real name associated with their post? I can write anything as “cajones69” but when I have to use my real name…
This was a Facebook post and appeared to be real names as both first and last were listed. However, they could have been fake. The comments were still full of anger and could definitely cause hurt to people regardless if the names were fake. It is no wonder that children bully each other as adults certainly do not set the best examples!
Guess that makes sense too. No need to hide your name when you think you’re anger is justified and you’re attacking a “societal ill”. They hopefully wouldnt be as brave being anti-Semitic or racist but men wearing skirts… crazy but it seems they make men wearing an article of clothing out to be monsters when there are clearly better things to protest
Coder
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:40 am

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:04 pm
Maybe we have to start trying to get the word “crossdressing” thrown out as offensive towards the gender-fluid (sorry Coder).
?

I don't care for the word crossdressing - as FFA puts it:
Freedomforall wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:25 pm
It is a ridiculous term started in my opinion to degrade and make men feel horrible for doing the same thing that is acceptable for women to do.
As for fluidity... my styles might be a bit, erm less masculine at times but I consider the "gender-fluid" concept a bandaid/cope over what we discuss here - let people be people, don't gender clothes incessantly, and just because I want to do _____________ activity that's traditionally considered "feminine" (ie, knitting) doesn't mean I'm feminine, a woman, etc... I think we get too hung up on societal roles and shoehorn people into thinking they are bad for wanting to be themselves.
ScotL
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:43 am

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:18 pm
ScotL wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:04 pm
Maybe we have to start trying to get the word “crossdressing” thrown out as offensive towards the gender-fluid (sorry Coder).
?

I don't care for the word crossdressing - as FFA puts it:
Freedomforall wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:25 pm
It is a ridiculous term started in my opinion to degrade and make men feel horrible for doing the same thing that is acceptable for women to do.
As for fluidity... my styles might be a bit, erm less masculine at times but I consider the "gender-fluid" concept a bandaid/cope over what we discuss here - let people be people, don't gender clothes incessantly, and just because I want to do _____________ activity that's traditionally considered "feminine" (ie, knitting) doesn't mean I'm feminine, a woman, etc... I think we get too hung up on societal roles and shoehorn people into thinking they are bad for wanting to be themselves.
I apologized to you Coder for using the term “gender-fluid” because I know you hate it. I’m not a fan either. I also think clothes shouldn’t have a gender. There are a few items that one could say are not needed by the other gender eg bras and jocks come to mind but I’m sure even there, some will argue even they should be gender less.

Gender-fluid is a bandaid but it’s the term used because everyone needs a name to know what they are talking about. If we have a better catchy name, we should promote it. If not, gender-fluid will always stick. As much as everyone swears they hate the need for labels, we need a label to know what we’re talking about. And the shorter it is the better.

It would be great to have a different word. We should think about what else to call the fact that men and women are becoming more interested in wearing clothes traditionally associated with the other gender. But what’s the word? Without a new word, there won’t really be much of a discussion and without a discussion, nothing will happen.

My two cents.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by Freedomforall »

I believe we all possess masculine and feminine qualities. Many men have been discouraged since birth to not express anything that could be interpreted as a feminine interests. Women have also to some degree been discouraged from doing things considered masculine. I say this because my wife relayed a story from her childhood.

Her mother was born and raised in Honduras. My wife visited there around age 10. The boys all went swimming and my wife was told she could not go with them, as it was dangerous. The boys were all around the same age as my wife. She never understood why it was ok for them and not her.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:40 am

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:30 pm
I apologized to you Coder for using the term “gender-fluid” because I know you hate it. I’m not a fan either. I also think clothes shouldn’t have a gender. There are a few items that one could say are not needed by the other gender eg bras and jocks come to mind but I’m sure even there, some will argue even they should be gender less.

Gender-fluid is a bandaid but it’s the term used because everyone needs a name to know what they are talking about. If we have a better catchy name, we should promote it. If not, gender-fluid will always stick. As much as everyone swears they hate the need for labels, we need a label to know what we’re talking about. And the shorter it is the better.

It would be great to have a different word. We should think about what else to call the fact that men and women are becoming more interested in wearing clothes traditionally associated with the other gender. But what’s the word? Without a new word, there won’t really be much of a discussion and without a discussion, nothing will happen.
Oh, ha, understood. Hate... I would say the term disappoints/frustrates me (although it wouldn't be surprising if I wrote "I hate that term" at some point in the past). Instead of expanding everyone's world, we are just creating a special category and boxing people in. And the discussions here mostly deals with style / fashion - outside of the cafe gender-fluid or non-binary refer to more than just clothes, which is why applying those terms here gets a little tiring.

I sort of like "freestyle fashion" or "freestyler", but both are long and I want to roll my eyes when I use them. Maybe start a new thread? Maybe there is an old thread already that discussed this?
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 13248
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:04 pm
Maybe we have to start trying to get the word “crossdressing” thrown out as offensive towards the gender-fluid (sorry Coder).
Or better yet just get it thrown out of the lexicon altogether.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 13248
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: Eddie Lizard

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:30 pm
[... W]e need a label to know what we’re talking about. And the shorter it is the better.
"Style choice". Short, succinct, and to the point directly. Hit the bloody thing dead on and be done with. It's not a "gender thing" it's a style choice.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Post Reply