What Kids Know

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

What Kids Know

Post by Stu »

A conversation as it was reported to me. My grandson Dave, age 5, asked my daughter who Nancy Pelosi was. My daughter was surprised by the question, but answered "She's a politician in America".

"Yes, I know that, but is she the Speaker of the House of Representatives or is she the Speaker of the Senate?"

My daughter was taken aback at this question from a British child who has never been to America.

"I'm not sure", she replied, "That's the sort of thing your grandpops (me) would know".

"I know. He told me but I forgot"

My daughter related this conversation and asked me why I had been talking to Dave about US politics. I told her that I had been explaining the US political system to him.

"Why does he need to know about the political system in another country? He's only five! I can't possibly see how that would be relevant to him - just filling his head with knowledge he doesn't need"

I then pointed out that I had seen about seven or eight books in his room about dinosaurs. He can name just about all the different species, distinguish between them, and even say whether they are from the Triassic, Jurassic or Cretaceous periods. These creatures have been extinct for tens, or hundreds, of millions of years. Yet somehow they are relevant to a child but explaining to him how the government works in the world's leading superpower and our own country's closest ally is not.

My daughter responded by telling me I am becoming more eccentric as I age.

So who is right?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What Kids Know

Post by denimini »

If you are considered to be ecentric to foster kids interest ............... then being ecentric must be a commendation.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Stu wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:38 am "Why does he need to know about the political system in another country? He's only five! I can't possibly see how that would be relevant to him - just filling his head with knowledge he doesn't need"
Is this true? Does the brain have a limited capacity of information storage? I realize it must be finite... it just strikes me - well I'll put it this way: however long your conversation was, it will be far less time and information that what he might learn at school about any other topic, and some of those topics will be rubbish.

In general I don't see anything wrong with discussing any topic with the exception of more private matters that would be more suited to parents, provided it is kept age-appropriate (ie, maybe don't discuss terrorism, building fires, anything that might cause nightmares :D). I presume you didn't indicate how nasty US politics has gotten in the past few years, and left off other negative aspects of our system.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I like dinosaurs I rather read about them any day over are political system.
Some days i wish are political system would go the way of the dinosaurs.

Ok most days,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Chirp wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:28 am I like dinosaurs I rather read about them any day over are political system.
Some days i wish are political system would go the way of the dinosaurs.

Ok most days,
I would argue many of our politicians are dinosaurs. Rarely in touch with today. I remember when the American congress was “grilling” Mark Zuckerberg over facebook, none of them had a clue what social media was. So of course, he got off unfazed
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:56 amI would argue many of our politicians are dinosaurs. Rarely in touch with today. I remember when the American congress was “grilling” Mark Zuckerberg over facebook, none of them had a clue what social media was. So of course, he got off unfazed.
The politicos in DC are many things, but dinosaurs isn't one of 'em. Corrupt as all get-out, yes -- but not dinosaurs. That just tarnishes the reputation of the dinosaurs. [0]

Zuckerberg got off lightly because he's at the top of a multi-billion dollar "company" -- and the politicians know who pulls the strings. Had that been me on the stand that day, it would have gone quite differently indeed.

[0] "W. Rex?" The notion induces a simultaneous mirth and nausea that's palpable. Yes, let's toss this one over the side.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:17 pm
ScotL wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:56 amI would argue many of our politicians are dinosaurs. Rarely in touch with today. I remember when the American congress was “grilling” Mark Zuckerberg over facebook, none of them had a clue what social media was. So of course, he got off unfazed.
The politicos in DC are many things, but dinosaurs isn't one of 'em. Corrupt as all get-out, yes -- but not dinosaurs. That just tarnishes the reputation of the dinosaurs. [0]

Zuckerberg got off lightly because he's at the top of a multi-billion dollar "company" -- and the politicians know who pulls the strings. Had that been me on the stand that day, it would have gone quite differently indeed.

[0] "W. Rex?" The notion induces a simultaneous mirth and nausea that's palpable. Yes, let's toss this one over the side.
Hahahaha, I would like to officially apologize to all dinosaurs everywhere and their families. I wish them a pleasant day in the gas tanks of our cars.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Stu wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:38 am "Why does he need to know about the political system in another country? He's only five! I can't possibly see how that would be relevant to him - just filling his head with knowledge he doesn't need"
I think teaching people (especially children, in an are appropriate way) how other countries work and contrasting them with your own system is a useful way to demonstrate how different different countries can think about the same thing. I think it's unfortunate that no English speaking country has a political system like anything in continental Europe which means there are no good relateable examples for English speaking people to understand how it works (international English news gives the gist, but with the Anglo-Saxon distortion field applied). Whenever someone asks me to explain something about the Dutch political system, two hours later I'll still be scratching the surface because everything is different, from the basic assumptions up. You practically have to explain the entire history and geography to even begin.

Just like I couldn't even begin to explain how China/Japan/India works. Technical details can be looked up, but cultural understanding, no.