Bots

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
ScotL
Chatbot

Bots

Post by ScotL »

New to the forum, so please accept my apologies if this has been discussed before. On the front page, what’s with the bots? Are they really bots or clever names ?

Registered users: Ahrefs [Bot], Bing [Bot], BLEXBot, Faldaguy, K_Highlander, Magpie [Crawler], ScotL
Legend: Administrators, Global moderators, Newly registered users
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Bots

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

There are probably experts who can explain in more detail, but most such things are essentially indexers for search engines. A search engine can only list a page if it knows about it, and to do that it sends automated software (a bot) to check it out.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:32 amThere are probably experts who can explain in more detail, but most such things are essentially indexers for search engines. A search engine can only list a page if it knows about it, and to do that it sends automated software (a bot) to check it out.
MB got it in a nutshell. The ones you see in the list of active users are various web-crawlers, indexers, search-engines, and the like that at least identify their presence and the software that runs the "board" announce their presence. There are others -- used for more pernicious purposes -- that don't identify themselves and are usually used for posting "spam" and unsolicited advertising. These are frequently run by criminal gangs for profit.

The various bots can see a subsection of the community posts, but not all. For instance, at least two entire sub-forums completely block anonymous access and all known 'bots. Spam-bots are fairly readily spotted and terminated with prejudice upon detection, sometimes before they even drop their payloads; some of this is automatic, some requires moderator/administrative interaction. Spam-squashing is by far and away the largest workload in any public forum.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

And a very fine job you do of it. Never seen a site so clean of all sorts of litter. Thank you Carl, your tireless efforts, while not recognised, are much appreciated.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:46 pmAnd a very fine job you do of it. Never seen a site so clean of all sorts of litter.
Uncle Al and Denimini are both integral parts of that effort, and they deserve accolades, too.

I'm proud of the work I do, and I'm proud of the other guys for stepping up. It's very much a team effort.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:01 pm
Sinned wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:46 pmAnd a very fine job you do of it. Never seen a site so clean of all sorts of litter.
Uncle Al and Denimini are both integral parts of that effort, and they deserve accolades, too.

I'm proud of the work I do, and I'm proud of the other guys for stepping up. It's very much a team effort.
Dutifully impressed as well. The internet is chalk full of shady, slimy places where weirdos expose themselves. This is a clean site and that’s one of the bigger reasons I joined. That’s and it’s about men who want to be men who wear skirts
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Now you're speaking about it, I realize it's in fact one of the very rare website I know which has not any trace of annoying bot. A big thank for the moderation team for that! :-)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Spirou003 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:17 pm Now you're speaking about it, I realize it's in fact one of the very rare website I know which has not any trace of annoying bot. A big thank for the moderation team for that! :-)
Are you sure there ain’t bots? Cause every time I log in there seem to be some in The Who’s online. I’m not computer savvy so I don’t know what these bots could really be doing but seems odd to me
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

ScotL wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:39 am<snip>
Are you sure there ain’t bots? Cause every time I log in there seem to be some in The Who’s online.
I’m not computer savvy so I don’t know what these bots could really be doing but seems odd to me
Underlined portion = ** See post # 2 and 3 of this thread **

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Uncle Al wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:02 am
ScotL wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:39 am<snip>
Are you sure there ain’t bots? Cause every time I log in there seem to be some in The Who’s online.
I’m not computer savvy so I don’t know what these bots could really be doing but seems odd to me
Underlined portion = ** See post # 2 and 3 of this thread **

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Yep, got that. Was wondering if people knew what kind of bots the ones on here are specifically. Some seem web crawler like say the google bot but the others? I’m more curious than anything.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:53 amWas wondering if people knew what kind of bots the ones on here are specifically. Some seem web crawler like say the google bot but the others? I’m more curious than anything.
We know what we know based on the way the various bots identify themselves in the "User-Agent" HTTP request header (which users never see). Those are the "benign" ones; the virus and bot-net types never identify themselves (or lie about it) so go "undetected" and have to be identified by other means.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

7Sorry guys, I didn't mean to lessen the contributions of the other Moderators. Well done guys.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:35 pmSorry guys, I didn't mean to lessen the contributions of the other Moderators. Well done guys.
No, no. Credit where credit is due. I didn't take it as a "lessening" in the least, I just wanted to clarify the waters a bit.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

ScotL wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:39 am
Spirou003 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:17 pm Now you're speaking about it, I realize it's in fact one of the very rare website I know which has not any trace of annoying bot. A big thank for the moderation team for that! :-)
Are you sure there ain’t bots? (...)
This is not what I said. I was saying that bots acting on the website, posting commercial bullshit or political propaganda for example, are not visible. This does not imply there's not any there ;)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Spirou003 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:33 pm
ScotL wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:39 am
Are you sure there ain’t bots? (...)
This is not what I said. I was saying that bots acting on the website, posting commercial bullshit or political propaganda for example, are not visible. This does not imply there's not any there ;)
Ok, thanks for the explanation