Bots

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Bots

Post by crfriend »

Spirou003 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:33 pmThis is not what I said. I was saying that bots acting on the website, posting commercial bullshit or political propaganda for example, are not visible. This does not imply there's not any there ;)
There are. In fact, in answering a question that Moonshadow posited, I discovered another -- likely benign -- one called "PetalBot", which identified itself in the logs by way of its "User-Agent" tag. That one has been classified, and now appears in the list of known bots.

I also had to step on several spammers today for spewing cr@p that the community never sees because of the restrictions on new registrants. Most spam originated from pernicious bots that are run for profit by various criminal gangs that rent out hijacked computers. Those are the ones that are extremely difficult to ID by assorted fingerprinting tactics. Machines just aren't good at the task. Humans, however, can usually spot one from a mile off and act accordingly.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:37 am
Spirou003 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:33 pmThis is not what I said. I was saying that bots acting on the website, posting commercial bullshit or political propaganda for example, are not visible. This does not imply there's not any there ;)
There are. In fact, in answering a question that Moonshadow posited, I discovered another -- likely benign -- one called "PetalBot", which identified itself in the logs by way of its "User-Agent" tag. That one has been classified, and now appears in the list of known bots.

I also had to step on several spammers today for spewing cr@p that the community never sees because of the restrictions on new registrants. Most spam originated from pernicious bots that are run for profit by various criminal gangs that rent out hijacked computers. Those are the ones that are extremely difficult to ID by assorted fingerprinting tactics. Machines just aren't good at the task. Humans, however, can usually spot one from a mile off and act accordingly.
So these malicious bots, the spammers. They just post advertisements for get rich quick schemes??
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:54 amSo these malicious bots, the spammers. They just post advertisements for get rich quick schemes??
It's the usual panoply of junk of the same type you see cluttering up other places that either tolerate it or can't deal with it. We're no different from any other "target" in their eyes, but since all the burden is on the receiver and none on the transmitter it costs them practically nothing.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:25 pm
ScotL wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:54 amSo these malicious bots, the spammers. They just post advertisements for get rich quick schemes??
It's the usual panoply of junk of the same type you see cluttering up other places that either tolerate it or can't deal with it. We're no different from any other "target" in their eyes, but since all the burden is on the receiver and none on the transmitter it costs them practically nothing.
Thanks for doing what you do. This site is amazing to help guys realize they are just interested in being comfortable when they have a desire to wear skirts