Definition of Woke

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Definition of Woke

Post by Uncle Al »

I think we all can agree with this :D
Definition of Woke JPG 2022-08-19.jpg
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Definition of Woke

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Uncle Al wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:44 pm I think we all can agree with this :D

Definition of Woke JPG 2022-08-19.jpg

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Well, no actually.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

If you like meme definitions, here's one that's closer:
woke2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I think that the second one is the one I'd like it to be but the first is closer to what it is in practice in this bitter, hate-filled, intolerant world of ours.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

My primary issue with “woke” is that it is just a different religion but no one wants to call it that. It’s also a social status symbol, and it is used as a cudgel at times - often politically - to demonize others.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Also - it can be a form of elitism (I've heard coworkers use it with pride, but in a way to demean others). I just haven't seen the soft/kind side of woke - just the activist side. I kinda wish we could abolish labels and just, you, know, respect each other.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Coder wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:56 pm Also - it can be a form of elitism (I've heard coworkers use it with pride, but in a way to demean others). I just haven't seen the soft/kind side of woke - just the activist side. I kinda wish we could abolish labels and just, you, know, respect each other.
That sounds quite "woke". :D
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

The second definition is what it was supposed to be. These days however it is mostly used as an epithet by generally right-wing types to label anyone they disagree with, no matter what it's about. In my experience almost nobody calls themselves woke and if you see the word used it is invariably by someone conservative using it to complain about something they disagree with (generally something progressive) usually aimed at their own supporters. It's practically a dog whistle these days.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

From my observation of what I see coming off the wire...

Uncle Al's definition seems to be what "woke" is in practice, Jim's is what "woke" is supposed to mean in theory.

Honestly I think it's a silly term anyway... you're either a jerk or you're not. I think there's good and bad in everyone, some are more slanted in either direction than others.

Yeah, I get the angst against "woke culture", it can be quite a straight jacket, just ask those crossdressing ball players. But on the other side of the "asshole spectrum" you have authoritarian theocrats that want to bring their hammer of religious conformity down on everyone.

The sad part is one side or the other is eventually going to win out, and either way, we will lose our freedom.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.