SLEEP!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

SLEEP!

Post by Fred in Skirts »

3307.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: SLEEP!

Post by Sinned »

I am a terrible sleeper. Early hours before getting to sleep, can wake up 2 hours later. Early waker. I probably only get 4 hours per night and have been known to catnap during the day. Not anything recent, I've always been this way.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Ever since I can remember I have never been able to sleep the whole night through. It is even worse now as I end up dozing off for 2 to 3 hours and then lay awake for several hours before dozing off for a couple of hours, repeat over and over until I decide the he!! with it and get up.

I can be sitting on my sofa and start dozing, get up go to bed and then just lay there wide awake. Sleeping meds do not help at all. Just make me tired all day.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

One often-overlooked cause of poor sleep is sleep apnœa.

As the person sinks into deeper sleep the body slumps as the muscles relax, the airways close up and the person chokes and stops breathing.  A build-up of CO2 in the blood stream then triggers a desperate gasp for air, which returns the person to a higher level of consciousness where normal breathing resumes for a while until they drop back into deeper sleep again.  The result is that they never get more than a few seconds of deep sleep each time and only a few minutes in total during the whole night.

This can cause obvious symptoms, such as permanently feeling tired and falling asleep during the day, but it can also have much more disruptive effects such as lethargy, inability to concentrate and the loss of mental and physical functions.  In one extreme case I know of, the person showed a whole series of apparently-unrelated medical symptoms; he became completely ineffective, was reduced to tears much of the time and was unable to run his life properly.

The problem is more prevelant in overweight people or those who have recently put on more weight than usual.  If you sleep with someone else, you can ask them if they have noticed an unusual breathing pattern, but if you sleep alone, you may be completely unaware of what is happening.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I feel guilty saying that I always sleep well.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

I'm with you and have no trouble getting my 8 hours of sleep.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I do have sleep apnœa. But I use a device ( C-PAP ) to help with the breathing. It is basically an air pump that adjusts the air flow so that my pneumatic system remains as it should during the night. I sleep in a mask that covers my nose and mouth and have been doing so for nearly 27 years. My doctor checks every so often to insure that it is doing what it is supposed to do by doing a sleep study.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I, too, have Sleep Apnea(19 years) but use nasal pillows instead of a full mask.
If/When the electricity goes off due a storm, a car or truck hitting a power pole,
I immediately know there's a problem. I gasp for air via my mouth - REAL QUICK :!:

I used to be able to drink a cup of coffee(regular-not decaff) and go to sleep with-in
a couple of hours. Sleep soundly. Not any more :(

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I sleep soundly - especially after an evening walk. Turning the brain off helps.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I need to get more sleep.
I tend to over do it work with hours and then try to cram
so much in b4 i know it its 4 or 5 hours and back to work,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

When was the last time I slept all night? I honestly cannot remember.
For the last few years as soon as it starts to get light, I'm awake, and in November and December when it's getting light at 0430 it's a PITA...
A sarong over my eyes helps with that problem...

Too many times I'm up at 2am and watching the clock tick...sometimes I just get up and start working on something, listen to some music or watch stuff on you tube, only to get back into bed again when I'm so stuffed I can't keep my eyes open or my wife gets up and drags me back to bed....

Sleeping through the night is but a distant memory..
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't have sleep apnea as for the two or three hours I am asleep I sleep deeply and definitely dream as I partly remember dreams at times. I don't feel the lethargy or any of the other symptoms. I realise that as I grow older I will sometimes catnap during the day.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Now that I am certified old I have become a compleat cat-napper. At work I frequently spend most of my lunch hour reclining in the most comfortable throne in the building....my Dental chair.
Furthermore I have no difficulty waking up again in good time to recommence at 2PM feeling refreshed, bright-eyed & bushy-tailed, ready to tackle an afternoon's victims.
Depending on what went before, I can easily sleep through the night, but often enough I find myself creeping downstairs in the small hours to the kitchen for a snack & a read. I read avidly and it is a relief from staring at a computer screen. If I wake up very early, e.g.' 5.30 or 6AM I will have invariably had a most pleasant dream which I can vividly remember briefly and can happily doze off and rejoin the dream, thus prolonging the pleasure for another hour or two,

All my rowing outings are in the morning and nowadays I get home pretty shattered. I manage to stay awake while driving home, but when I arrive, an hour's catnap is just the ticket.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

I'm on a CPAP when I have trouble sleeping they usually increase the air flow. I'm at 14 right now. Also make sure that your mask are the correct size. I use to be a large now I am a full face medium.

I also make sure I don't have any caffeine or eat after 6pm at night.Believe it or not certain foods and drinks can play a role in your sleep as well as certain medications.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

JennC03 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:44 am I'm on a CPAP when I have trouble sleeping they usually increase the air flow. I'm at 14 right now. Also make sure that your mask are the correct size. I use to be a large now I am a full face medium.
I also make sure I don't have any caffeine or eat after 6pm at night.Believe it or not certain foods and drinks can play a role in your sleep as well as certain medications.
My C-PAP machine is currently set at 9.5psi. I started at about 6.2 many years ago so it too has increased. But my weight has decreased by about 50 lbs over the last 3 years.
As for food my intake of caffeine is pretty steady as about all I drink is iced tea and some iced coffee. As for eating late I usually eat between 6 and 7 PM with a snack at about 11PM, I usually get to bed at about 2 or 3 AM.
The thing is I take a lot of medications and some of them are NOT sleep inducing and having to take them at bedtime is part of the problem with not sleeping well.